Missing Modules CYRF6936

More
02 Jan 2016 05:49 - 02 Jan 2016 14:49 #41299 by Gramps50
Missing Modules CYRF6936 was created by Gramps50
I installed both the nrf24l01 & A7105 following the directions on the wiki. After the instlation my Devo would boot just fine running Deviation 4.0.1. Following the instruction in the manual I upgrade to the latest nightly dated 10-25-15. As suggested I saved my TX.ini file. After the firmware update and copying the files/rectories from the zip file to the Devo 10. I then edited the hardware.ini file removing the semi-colin from in front of the modules. Copied my saved tx.ini file back to the Devo.

Now when booting I get the message Missing Modules CYRF6836. Tried the 10-22-15 nightly with ghd same results.

Went back to Deviation 4.0.1 and it will boot fine. What am I doing wrong here?

Gramps
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 14:49 by Gramps50.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2016 14:26 #41307 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Missing Modules CYRF6936
In your first paragraph, the last two sentences don't seem to make sense to me. You might consider attaching the tx.ini and hardware.ini files that are failing so we can see them. What editor are you using to edit them? Windows Notepad will corrupt these files, so we recommend an editor like Notepad++ which will respect line endings.

In general, the hardware.ini and the tx.ini files should be edited when you install a new version or nightly, and of course make a backup copy of the old files, but do not reuse them or copy them back to the new installation. These files may have been updated or enhanced in a nightly or test release so it is necessary to keep them concurrent.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
02 Jan 2016 14:57 #41310 by Gramps50
Replied by Gramps50 on topic Missing Modules CYRF6936
Your right Deal57 the last 2 sentences didn't make sense to be either. I edited it to make it more clear. Notepad++ was used to edit the files.

The way I understood the directions was to save the tx.ini and copy it back or you would need to recalibrate the sticks.

I will try again not copying any previous files.

Gramps

More
02 Jan 2016 15:33 #41312 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Missing Modules CYRF6936
...and be aware of the wiring. Since it seem to fit to former 4.01, your tx will draw more current than necessary.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
02 Jan 2016 18:59 - 02 Jan 2016 19:08 #41317 by Gramps50
Flashed the dfu file from the 10-25-2015 nightly. Deleted the existing files on the Devo. Copied the files & directories from the same nightly. Edited the hardware.ini using Notepad++ and removed the semi colons for the 2 modules. Same result onboot Missing Modules CYRF6936.

Will charge the battery and try again.

Don't know if it matters but my Devo 10 is the white version.

Gramps
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 19:08 by Gramps50.

More
02 Jan 2016 20:15 #41318 by Gramps50
The fully charged battery made no difference.

Flashed stock 4.0.1 back on copied its directories & files to the Devo. Edited the tx.ini activating the 2 modules. Turned off the TX turned it back on & it booted without any errors.

I'm lost I don't understand what could be happening.

Gramps

More
02 Jan 2016 23:17 - 02 Jan 2016 23:19 #41324 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Missing Modules CYRF6936
Perhaps your problem might be that the jumper wiring of the A7105 module is different for Nightly Builds firmware than it is for v4.0.1 firmware and older.

*4.0.1 and earlier: Connect 8->GND and 9->3.3V. Leave 6 and 7 floating

After 4.0.1, connect 6->9 and 7->8

See the following wiki:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleList

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 23:19 by RedSleds.

More
03 Jan 2016 04:51 #41331 by Deal57
I don't recall seeing many such issues in the 10, but in the 7e you need to have the ground connected to the ground on the inbuilt CYRF module. If that's done correctly I'm stumped!

Can you post your tx.ini and hardware.ini files?

Thanks!

More
03 Jan 2016 16:28 - 03 Jan 2016 16:31 #41343 by Gramps50

File Attachment:

File Name: hardware-2.ini
File Size:0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: tx.ini
File Size:4 KB

These are the directions I followed www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28760482&postcount=1330

Gramps
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 16:31 by Gramps50.

More
03 Jan 2016 17:26 - 03 Jan 2016 18:00 #41345 by Gramps50
I removed both the nrf24l01 & a7105 modules and I'm still getting the error message even after copying the tx.ini & hardware.ini from the zip file. Got to be missing something here but what?

Just like before I can put 4.0.1 on it and everything is hunky dorey. I have tried several of the nightlies with the same results. Also tried a test build same results.

Want to think that I'm doing something wrong when I go from 4.0.1 to a nightly but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Here's what I'm doing.
Put Devo in programing mode
Start the dfu program (USB cable is plugged in)
Choose the dfu file to use
Press Update button
Wait for it to finish
Turn Devo off
Turn Devo on in USB mode
Delete all existing file/directories
Copy the file/directories from the zip file that had the dfu used. (Already unzipped into a directory)
Safely remove devices
Power down Devo
Power up Devo
This is where I get the error message if I didn't flash 4.0.1

Gramps
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 18:00 by Gramps50. Reason: Added explaniation

More
03 Jan 2016 18:56 #41350 by Deal57
From my perspective it appears you're doing everything right. I'm wondering if a programmer could give us a hand because I recall the "Missing Module CYRF..." message sometimes came up when something else was the problem.

If we can't resolve that situation, maybe you can help us get a bit more detail on the processes you used. Given your notes in this thread, I'm pretty sure you're a detail-oriented guy and you probably didn't miss anything, but I can't get enough from what's here (and, Thank You! It is a lot more than some people give us!).
1. Did you install the nightly version BEFORE adding the modules or did you add the modules then load the nightly?
2. Have you tried to bind with a model that uses the CYRF protocols (e.g. Devo or DSMX device)? In addition to protocol updates, IIRC there have been tweaks to the module interfaces, so if the CYRF is not working properly it may not be obvious in earlier releases. Can you check to ensure telemetry is OFF in any model.ini you're using?
3. Can you give us the exact part number of your modules, or better, post a photo of each of them? I keep photos of each part, and then when I assemble them take detailed photos of my soldering or wire work. It's not always pretty, but it helps me track backwards if needed. It seems unlikely that the new hardware caused a problem like this but I'd be more confident in my answers if I knew the exact modules we're working with.

Oh, and one other thing (spoken in Columbo's voice): did you format the Devo 10 USB drive at some point? If not, perhaps you might do a format right after you update the DFU and turn it back on in USB mode.

This is a real head-scratcher. :huh:

More
03 Jan 2016 23:49 - 04 Jan 2016 00:56 #41358 by RedSleds

Gramps50 wrote: .......Delete all existing file/directories

Are you just deleting the files?
If so, at this step, format the drive instead. EDIT: (Oops, didn't read Deal57's post all the way to the end!) :blush:
It may, or may not help.
Also try switching your A13 & A14 around, just in case you have them wrong. Just thinking out loud here.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 00:56 by RedSleds.

More
04 Jan 2016 01:46 #41359 by Gramps50

Deal57 wrote: From my perspective it appears you're doing everything right. I'm wondering if a programmer could give us a hand because I recall the "Missing Module CYRF..." message sometimes came up when something else was the problem.

If we can't resolve that situation, maybe you can help us get a bit more detail on the processes you used. Given your notes in this thread, I'm pretty sure you're a detail-oriented guy and you probably didn't miss anything, but I can't get enough from what's here (and, Thank You! It is a lot more than some people give us!).
1. Did you install the nightly version BEFORE adding the modules or did you add the modules then load the nightly?
2. Have you tried to bind with a model that uses the CYRF protocols (e.g. Devo or DSMX device)? In addition to protocol updates, IIRC there have been tweaks to the module interfaces, so if the CYRF is not working properly it may not be obvious in earlier releases. Can you check to ensure telemetry is OFF in any model.ini you're using?
3. Can you give us the exact part number of your modules, or better, post a photo of each of them? I keep photos of each part, and then when I assemble them take detailed photos of my soldering or wire work. It's not always pretty, but it helps me track backwards if needed. It seems unlikely that the new hardware caused a problem like this but I'd be more confident in my answers if I knew the exact modules we're working with.

Oh, and one other thing (spoken in Columbo's voice): did you format the Devo 10 USB drive at some point? If not, perhaps you might do a format right after you update the DFU and turn it back on in USB mode.

This is a real head-scratcher. :huh:

1, I installed the nightly after the module install

2. Using 4.0.1 my Blade Nano QX 3D will not bind and it would before I added the modules.

3. Right now the modules are out of the picture I removed then earlier today But I will take pictures of each not close to a camera at present.
YJ-14021 NF24L01+PA+LNA
XL7105-D03B

Just noticed this when I wired the 7105 I wired it backwards it's a complete 180 flip, that's a do over.

Still doesn't explain what is going on now that all the modules are removed. With it not binding appears I created a new problem.

I also loaded a nightly and formated the drive before copying the files over made no difference, though I was thinking the same thing myself just hadn't tried it yet.

Gramps

More
04 Jan 2016 02:12 - 04 Jan 2016 02:13 #41361 by RedSleds
Get out a magnifying glass and look for solder balls or spatter shorting at the stock CYRF pins and at other solder points that you used (and at nearby traces and such) Look for cooked diodes or other components too.

Maybe remove the stock CYRF module and check the underside of the pins too. Be extra careful of electrostatic discharge at this time of year. Cold and dry atmospheric conditions can generate a lot of charge buildup and be a killer of components. Wear a grounding strap if you have one.

Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 02:13 by RedSleds.

More
04 Jan 2016 02:38 #41364 by Deal57
Ouch. If you wired it backward, you may have put Vcc onto a data line. That might be why the CYRF module isn't responding. The main processor is still working so it can probably be fixed.

I ran across one user note from last year that suggested that line in your hardware.ini could be uncommented: "has_pa-cyrf6936 = 0" should not have a semicolon, in that case it fixed the error message. It may not apply here, but can't hurt to try.

More
04 Jan 2016 03:23 #41365 by gsuper0819
Replied by gsuper0819 on topic Missing Modules CYRF6936
I just updated my new Devo 10 firmware following a youtube video. My devo 10 is not binding with my devo 1002 receiver. Went through the bind and unbind procedures. Other than the firmware updates, do I need to do anything else? I have a new Devo 10 transmitter white color.

More
04 Jan 2016 03:34 #41367 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Missing Modules CYRF6936
The described behavior would happen if you've backed the module enable changes out of tx.ini but not hardware.ini. 4.0.1 would work, since it ignores hardware.ini. The nighly doesn't, so if modules are still enabled in it, it'll try and find them. And it's know that it will report the CYRF as missing if others are missing under some conditions.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
04 Jan 2016 05:35 #41370 by Gramps50

Deal57 wrote: Ouch. If you wired it backward, you may have put Vcc onto a data line. That might be why the CYRF module isn't responding. The main processor is still working so it can probably be fixed.

I ran across one user note from last year that suggested that line in your hardware.ini could be uncommented: "has_pa-cyrf6936 = 0" should not have a semicolon, in that case it fixed the error message. It may not apply here, but can't hurt to try.

The two modules are still wired together so I'm need to sit down and draw out excatly what I did and who's wired to what.

I saw reference to that in seaveral places too and also tried it made no difference.

Gramps

More
04 Jan 2016 05:54 #41373 by Gramps50

RedSleds wrote: Get out a magnifying glass and look for solder balls or spatter shorting at the stock CYRF pins and at other solder points that you used (and at nearby traces and such) Look for cooked diodes or other components too.

Maybe remove the stock CYRF module and check the underside of the pins too. Be extra careful of electrostatic discharge at this time of year. Cold and dry atmospheric conditions can generate a lot of charge buildup and be a killer of components. Wear a grounding strap if you have one.

I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb and see if I can find anything.

I didn't solder directly on the CYzRF module it was removed during the process. I now wondering if 4.0.1 will boot with it removed. I will clean the pins with alcohol.

Gramps

More
04 Jan 2016 21:59 - 04 Jan 2016 22:01 #41380 by Gramps50
Been looking over the inside of the Devo10 and other than I got the socket itself a little hot I don't see any other issues with it. With 4.0.1 loaded i removed the CYRF module and turned it on, it booted to the Deviation screen then went to the last model flown. So I guess it's not checking for modules.

Took some photos of the 2 modules too.

A7105 - WIRED WRONG!

I have pretty much resolved that I screwed my Devo 10 it boots and let's me do other things like flash firmware etc so my guess is I trashed the CYRF module. So I guess the next question is can it be repaired? I tried searching for a new CYRF module for it without any luck.

On the A7105 module I applied 3.3v to TXEN so my guess the A7104 is toast too. Don't know about the nf24l01 unless it go trashed through some back feed or something. I would think to be on the safe side it shouldn't be used either.

If I can salvage this on it would be great if not I guess I'll have to start over.

I want to thank everyone who has helped with this issue.

Gramps
Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 22:01 by Gramps50. Reason: wrong image

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds