Affordable Hot Air Soldering Gun

More
03 Jan 2016 07:31 - 03 Jan 2016 17:20 #41336 by SteveG
Affordable Hot Air Soldering Gun was created by SteveG
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJW08JK?psc...i_detailpage_o00_s00

I just received this butane torch soldering gun, and with its hot air tip it works great for no contact soldering. Being 64 years old and unsteady, I find this makes board level soldering of the modules for my Devo10 much easier and more certain.

At $40 it is an inexpensive option to the more conventional styles of guns that come with the usual hot air soldering stations. And, while I have not used a conventional gun, it seems this one, being much smaller, lighter, and cordless, might be much more manageable.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 17:20 by SteveG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2016 11:08 #41338 by robca
Replied by robca on topic Affordable Hot Air Soldering Gun
It's good for portability... but with the well-regarded 858D available from eBay sellers for around $30-35, most people would be better off with the additional features and temp control of a real station. I'd be afraid of a butane unit with no temp control (it's very easy to get well above the temperature where the glue/trace is destroyed

As for module soldering, I find a cheap fine tipped soldering iron a much better solution. even something like this (powered from a 1A or more USB power supply) www.banggood.com/Portable-USB-Powered-Mi...cator-p-1017109.html . Hard to beat at $5.99 shipped :) And this, too, can be used on the go (with a USB battery pack). Super-easy to use, lightweight and works surprisingly well

For a good all-around soldering (not hot air) station, I recommend this www.banggood.com/BAKON-950D-75W-Mini-Por...12-Tip-p-982824.html (but the default tip is horrible, get one of these, too: www.banggood.com/T12-D16-Solder-Iron-Tip...tation-p-944499.html )

More
03 Jan 2016 17:08 - 03 Jan 2016 17:08 #41344 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Affordable Hot Air Soldering Gun
Now that the low cost solution is covered, what about a high end solder station? I mean a good one that doesn't break the bank ...lets say less then $500.00 if a person wanted a really nice unit...
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 17:08 by magic_marty. Reason: typo..

More
03 Jan 2016 17:29 #41346 by SteveG
Replied by SteveG on topic Affordable Hot Air Soldering Gun
Thanks for the input. I had not seen the 858D unit, so I am surprised at the low price for a functional station.

The Dremel flame is adjustable, with surprisingly good range, but it will not give the precision of a station; however, I still think it may be an option for casual pcb work and other uses as well.

Something for everybody, I guess.

Steve

More
03 Jan 2016 20:55 #41352 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Affordable Hot Air Soldering Gun
I can confirm this is a very good tool also the hot air mode ( not a flame) when you take the tip out is excellent soldering bullet plugs, also heat schrinking, for the price it is a good tool!!! Indeed normal flame is also possible.

Only one star less, I find filling this thing a pain, gas spits out and you can't see how much gas is left in the reservoir.

More
03 Jan 2016 23:13 #41357 by SteveG
Replied by SteveG on topic Affordable Hot Air Soldering Gun
Yeah, I too wish it had some kind of indicator; but, I just keep the supply can nearby.

As for filling, if you hold it firmly it fills in 10 secs or so, and as it fills there will be some blow by around the valve until it is full at which time the blow by increases dramatically - it is really clear that it is full!! And, you can tell it is filling because the can chills noticeably as the first bit of gas expands, pulling heat from the can. This lessens of course as the can fills because there is less expansion room.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds