New source for NRF24L01 Module?

More
08 Jan 2016 17:24 #41509 by WildDoktor
New source for NRF24L01 Module? was created by WildDoktor
I bought the MJX X800 and X600 hex's, so I have 2 transmitters.

Is there an nrf24l01 inside each of them? Can I simply remove one of them and use it in my Devo 7E?

Would be nice; rather than ordering one online, waiting 36 days for it to arrive, and dealing with terrible customer service... :oops:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2016 17:31 #41511 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic New source for NRF24L01 Module?
If you are here in the states you can have one in a couple of days... www.ebay.com/itm/NRF24L01-PA-LNA-SMA-Ant...2:g:yUMAAOSwdpxUXbNB

More
08 Jan 2016 22:44 #41525 by WildDoktor
Replied by WildDoktor on topic New source for NRF24L01 Module?

magic_marty wrote: If you are here in the states you can have one in a couple of days... www.ebay.com/itm/NRF24L01-PA-LNA-SMA-Ant...2:g:yUMAAOSwdpxUXbNB

Nice, thanks for the link!

Of course, if I can rob one from an existing controller I can have one in a few minutes, for free... :-)

Actually, not true. I'm at work now, and have a full evening and weekend, and then am out of town until Tuesday, so I can't open up my tx's and look until next Wed evening. The suspense is killing me! Just figured that somebody's got to have already looked...

Guess I should just order one and it could be waiting for me when I get home, but I hate to spend money if I don't have to.

More
09 Jan 2016 02:16 #41532 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New source for NRF24L01 Module?
Haven't seen the mjx transmitters, but I've pulled modules from other txs. Sometimes a pain to figure out the pinout if they're not labelled.

More
09 Jan 2016 02:41 #41534 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New source for NRF24L01 Module?
Whether or not you can use those NRF24L01's will depend on how they're installed. If they're on a separate breakout board that lets you access the NRF24L01 pins and has an antenna, then you can use that board if you can figure out how to connect the pins. And if you do, get us pictures and notes to add to the module installation guide! If that's not the case, then you're probably SOL.

You might also look on Amazon. You can get NRF24L01's via prime, which Amazon is telling me will be here next Monday for $10 or $11. Just be careful if you're searching yourself - a lot of the less reputable vendors on internet supermarkets like amazon will put nrf24l01 or similar in the description to spam search results even though what they are selling isn't an nrf24l01.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
02 Feb 2016 05:56 - 02 Feb 2016 06:01 #42504 by sauntbuckersbasket
Replied by sauntbuckersbasket on topic New source for NRF24L01 Module?

mwm wrote: You might also look on Amazon. You can get NRF24L01's via prime, which Amazon is telling me will be here next Monday for $10 or $11. Just be careful if you're searching yourself - a lot of the less reputable vendors on internet supermarkets like amazon will put nrf24l01 or similar in the description to spam search results even though what they are selling isn't an nrf24l01.

There's actually two different concerns there - one is listing spammers who toss the name of all of the different incompatible RF chips into their module listing ala "NR24L01 CC2500 A7105 CYRF6936 module for Arduino" and make you try to deduce what they are actually selling from the picture.

And the other is fake NRF24L01's.

Fortunately the latter seem to mostly work... at least a bit. I strongly suspect most of those I've sourced on Amazon are fakes, though I haven't had any functional problems. I recently picked up some (hopefully genuine) bare chips from Digikey primarily for use on a new PCB, but have a mind to swap one onto one of the modules to see if I can detect any difference (I'll also be curious to try the unknown-provenance chip on my board).

Digikey also has PA equipped modules for $10, though their shipping department seems to lately like grabbing huge boxes for orders consisting of a few dozen little bags of surface mount parts, and socking you with dimensional weight charges for all that perforated paper. Also, the PA modules are branded by an overseas hobbyist outfit, rather than Digi's usual supply chain.

If hunting in existing toy transmitters, one is probably more likely to find a labeled BK2423 (mostly compatible, and most of the codebases support its unique additional setup) or submodule with a chip-on-board epoxy dot that seems similar. Unfortunately in the past year the XN297 has largely taken over the low, low end market, and it is both only somewhat compatible and fairly poorly performing even when talking to itself. The irony is that when it's on a submodule the pinout is usually labelled for you, and both BK2423 and XN297 have basically the same pinout as the NRF24L01 though they can be smaller packages and ideally require different little L and C components between the chip and antenna trace or jack.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 06:01 by sauntbuckersbasket.

More
25 Feb 2016 00:41 #43597 by Chrophedra
Replied by Chrophedra on topic New source for NRF24L01 Module?
Did you have any luck with the MJX TX chip?

Im SOL with my NRF, so while I wait for my new one to arrive, Im wondering if I can do something with this chip I have in a spare MJX X400/X600 TX.

It says XN297-PA-FN?

Peace

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds