First Things First

More
20 Jan 2016 18:17 #41994 by vmsda
First Things First was created by vmsda
After much ado, I finally managed to get the 4.0.1 on my brand new 7e. Before I delve timidly into any mods, I should like to test the system as it, and for that I have a Nano CP S.
So, should I now grab a model for the Nano on this website, download it to the 7e, switch it on and see if the Nano wags the tail? Or are there other prerequisites to be fulfilled?
Thanks for the advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 20:49 #42000 by vroomvroom
Replied by vroomvroom on topic First Things First
That sounds like a plan. I used my 7E with deviation without mods too before actually modding it with modules.

More
20 Jan 2016 20:58 #42002 by vmsda
Replied by vmsda on topic First Things First

vroomvroom wrote: That sounds like a plan. I used my 7E with deviation without mods too before actually modding it with modules.

And do you still use the 4.0.1? I ask because some more tech guys consider 4.0.1 old hat, they indulge in the 'nightly' persuasion instead. This is important in so far as it even impacts the way - for the better - some additional modules can and must connected in post-4.0.1 firmware.

More
21 Jan 2016 06:08 #42019 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic First Things First
I may be one of the tech guys you don't want to listen to, but I quit recommending 4.0.1 this fall. Over the summer, we kicked the nightly builds into shape for a release - there were no reported serious bugs, and a number of such in 4.0.1 had been fixed - and updated the manuals to match. The manuals in the navigation menu are for the nightly build, if you're running 4.0.1 you want to download the PDFs from the downloads section. The release engineer got pulled away before the release happened, though. I believe it was ready, but I'm not a releae engineer. Since then, it's been mostly bug fixes and new protocols; I don't believe there have been any major changes.

If you're nervous about running the nightly, look over the list of things you want to do, and see if anything you want requires the nightly. Mostly, this is MM support (unusual on a 7E) and a long list of new protocols. But IIUC DSM has gotten more reliable and better telemetry as well.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
21 Jan 2016 06:56 #42025 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic First Things First
I am running the latest nightly with the voice alerts and no problems at all just the voice alerts needs a bit of tweaking and fine tuning...Also in the near future a user interface is going to be added ...Exciting things happening with the nightly builds and going to get better and better as time goes on... :)

More
21 Jan 2016 07:34 #42027 by vmsda
Replied by vmsda on topic First Things First

mwm wrote: I may be one of the tech guys you don't want to listen to ...

On the contrary, I believe you will find few more attentive ears than mine ... but when I am ready for what you have to say. As a former IBM Sys Eng, and a beginner in this hobby, I know that for every step you make you'd better have a test and a backup plan. 4.0.1 sounded a more settled thing, less cutting edge: thus my initial tongue-in-cheek comments.
On a more serious note. Begin to think that Deviation is a bit of a mouthful for a novice, but if one does not sow, how can one reap?

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds