Reversed AIL and RUD ?

More
29 Jan 2016 22:52 #42384 by Toownky
Reversed AIL and RUD ? was created by Toownky
Hi !
I'm new to deviationtx and I'm a bit confused.

First things first :
- Devo10, currently flashed with deviation 4.0.1
- My brain, permanently flashed in mode1 :)

In the Transmitter menu / Channel monitor / Stick input the AIL and RUD values seems reversed (-100 when stick to the right, 100 when stick to the left).
ELE and THR are fine (-100 for bottom, 100 for top).

I can easily reverse the channel, but it's a bit unnatural to do it on each model !

Is there something I'm missing ? Strange bug in deviation ? Devo10 wired by a guy who can't tell between its left and right ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2016 03:31 #42393 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Reversed AIL and RUD ?
Welcome to deviation. Recommend using the nightly build as it is stable and has many improvements over 4.0.1.

Why do you associate negative values with left/counter-clockwise, and positive with right/clockwise (besides the graphs visualizing it that way :))? Would it make a difference if the scale was just 0 to 100?

It's arbitrary and as far as I know there's no standard. The toy protocols supported by deviation are not consistent in their interpretation. Haven't looked at the hobby protocols. When you build a plane with servos you just mount them as needed and adjust the direction in the transmitter...

More
30 Jan 2016 09:11 #42401 by Sero
Replied by Sero on topic Reversed AIL and RUD ?

hexfet wrote: Recommend using the nightly build as it is stable and has many improvements over 4.0.1.

Which one would you recommend in the moment, just the newest, or another date?

A day without flying can't be called a day.

More
30 Jan 2016 11:38 #42406 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Reversed AIL and RUD ?
For now grab the latest nightly. But check these forums before updating to see if someone had merged a major change that you might be wary of recently.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
30 Jan 2016 23:41 #42439 by Toownky
Replied by Toownky on topic Reversed AIL and RUD ?

hexfet wrote: Why do you associate negative values with left/counter-clockwise, and positive with right/clockwise (besides the graphs visualizing it that way :))? Would it make a difference if the scale was just 0 to 100?

I understand this is purely a convention, but in most languages, and for most people, the most common convention is to go from left to right, from min to max.
For a servo, I admit there is clearly no right or wrong direction, it depends of how you install in in the craft, what it does etc.
But my various flight controllers / firmware ALL uses the "standard convention", min = left, max = right. PWM signals uses the same logic.

Once again, this is not a big deal. I was just curious of why this was like this :)
I will flash the nightly build and see the various improvements !

More
31 Jan 2016 05:03 #42452 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Reversed AIL and RUD ?
What's really confusing is that the the graphs all go the "right" way. So you push the rudder or aileron stick left, and the value indicator in the graph goes right. That the trim buttons also go the opposite direction is really confusing, and has caused me issues more than once. Thanks for clearing that problem up!

Not clear this can be fixed without breaking every model config on the planet, though. Unless it's a change introduced since 4.0.1, anyway. Someone want to check that?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds