Bad or missing Protocol with NRF24L01 and A7105

More
04 Feb 2016 07:23 #42563 by Littlepip
Hi all I am really getting stuck adding these modules, I have tried 2 NRF24L01 modules and one A7105 and I am getting know where with it. I have an older Devo 7E that I am unable to get modules to work in. I have installed the NRF a few times following static precautions on my bench and have had my Son check the wiring as per the instructions we found follow with the colors dots.

Modules used :
XL7105-D03 A7105 Modification Module Support Deviation Galee Flysky Bangood
2.4GHz 1100 Meters Long Distance NRF24L01+PA+LNA Wireless Module With Antenna EBay

I am running standard 4.01 firmware without the protocol .ini As soon as I install either module I get bad or missing protocol error , even before I edit the tx.ini to tell the transmitter it has the module installed. After seeing another user with this problem that was solved by getting a new NRF module I did this and got the same result , bad or missing protocol. I then have to format the USB files area and re load the older 4.01 firmware to get my radio working again. I have tried several firmware versions of the nightly type all with the same result. I am not too bad at soldering as I do quite a bit of it but this is beating me.
I have found it really hard to find instructions that I can follow, as there are a few variables of modules and ways to wire them up. I am looking for a picture that says with my modules ( see picture ) and this firmware do this. The color dots on a photo showing the wiring is easy to follow but what ever version I try I still get the bad or missing protocol error and a radio that will not work at all, until I remove the module, format the USB drive and re load the firmware.

Should I run the latest nightly, or is the standard 4.01 OK? which works fine for me in normal use. I am going to try again but I have done this several times now and even had some one else check the wiring to still have it fail every time. Could it be my radio being a few years old, causing a problem? I have had it for several years now and it has been a great radio I recommend them to everyone as a great park flyer radios especially with deviation firmware.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2016 14:09 #42570 by Deal57
Next time you open your TX, please get some closeup photos of the connections to the internal boards. The wiring on your A7105 appears good for the 4.01 release, so if you are having problems I suspect the other end of the cable... We can't figure it out without more detail.

Yes, it can be overwhelming to pick out the "right" wiring for a board. I am hoping once we see the entire picture of your install we can help figure out the problem.

IMO the nightly builds are better given the bug fixes and improvements. But that's probably not the problem here. You will want to update the wiring for the A7105 when you update, but let's get the system working first.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
05 Feb 2016 05:22 - 05 Feb 2016 05:30 #42609 by Littlepip
Replied by Littlepip on topic Bad or missing Protocol with NRF24L01 and A7105
Hi,
I managed to get a couple of picture if the can help
I can do better tonight if needed.

Also If I enable the NRF it shuts down the tx after a few seconds and the A7105 might be working now on A113 with pa 1 on 4.01 FW.

To change or upgrade firmware I have been formatting the USB drive and copping all the filesystem files over to the blank drive all bar the model directory that is, is this correct?.

I am also not sure if if I should be editing the tx.ini on 4.01 as there is no hardware.ini but that is what I have been doing anyway.

I installed the A7105 first and used the tx.ini file like this and the A line reversed i.e 13 to 14 etc. Below is my tx.ini I have tried both ways and I now am unsure which is the first way, sorry! it shuts down reversed from this.

TX.ini
enable-cyrf6936=B12
has_pa-cyrf6936=1
enable-a7105=A13
has_pa-a7105=1
enable-cc2500=None
has_pa-cc2500=0
enable-nrf24l01=A14
has_pa-nrf24l01=1

Sorry to be an idiot but I thought I had done everything the proper way but this is my 2nd NRF module thinking the first was duff.

Gary
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 05:30 by Littlepip. Reason: added another image

More
05 Feb 2016 13:30 #42627 by Deal57
I can't really tell if the wiring is correct, but it appears you've used all the right connection points. I don't think the FW version appears to be a problem; 4.0.1 is a fine system and should work in this environment. Of course you will want to take advantage of the advances and bug fixes in later "nightly" versions, but for now if your hardware is ok, it will work either way.

The TX.ini file should be set up to only indicate the devices you have connected. So for the modules section, you MUST use a semicolon (";") to set unused lines as comments. In my testing i usually enable one module first, then the other, then both. Start out by just having all the lines commented out, by putting a semicolon in the first position on each line. The TX should boot up and allow you to see 4.0.1 with usable protocols for DEVO and DSMx/2 but no others are usable. Note that you'll probably see a lot of protocols, but anything with an asterisk ("*") in front of the protocol name (e.g. *Hubsan), is not usable.

Then remove the semicolon from the lines for the A7105. This should allow you to boot and see additional usable protocols (Hubsan, Flysky). Now disable the A7105 and enable the NRF and you should see other usable protocols (V2x2, Hisky, ....). If this is all working you can then enable both the A7105 and NRF modules.

If this corrects the problem, let us know.
:enable-cyrf6936=B12
:has_pa-cyrf6936=1
enable-a7105=A13
has_pa-a7105=1
;enable-cc2500=None
;has_pa-cc2500=0
enable-nrf24l01=A14
has_pa-nrf24l01=1

More
06 Feb 2016 06:51 #42652 by Littlepip
Hi, Deal 57,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am attaching a print screen image from notepad++ of my tx.ini file from my devo 7e. As you can see I do not have any ";" in this file it is in the format of "enable-nrf24l01=A14" mind you my screen shows nothing in the attachments box of this forum when I add a file it does not show in the box, it looks empty but the file attachment works, odd.

In my radio I think the A7105 might be working as the protocols like Hubsan do not have the asterisk before them. It looks like the enable command is if it has a function like A13 otherwise it is None. Is this normal ? I have seen others mention the semicolon in YouTube videos also. I tried by changing the comment to none etc if I do this I see the protocols show up without the asterisk but if I try them the radio turns off immediately. This is a new module as well, also I tried it at the A13 position and this time odd characters showed on the radio screen for a second or 2 when I tried to bind then it turned off again.

SO to recap I have tried A13 and A14 in the TX.ini for the NRF module, I have commented out the A7105 and just enabled the NRFL2401 which seems to be the main issue now. At least the bad or missing protocol error has gone now again, odd. It's a bugger the one I want to try is the NRF as I have a Yizhan Z4 I want to try on my Devo and I do not have any of the other models at the moment that I cant set up with. My son have just bought a XK X 250 not sure what protocol this is on but I bet it is the NRF one that is not working yet. I always get problems like this with everything I do in this hobby :-)

Thanks Gary
Attachments:

More
06 Feb 2016 07:21 - 06 Feb 2016 07:24 #42653 by mwm
None is not a valid value to indicate a missing module. You need to comment those lines out. That None causes it to shut off the radio isn't completely surprising.

You also shouldn't be "trying" A13 and A14, but using the correct value based on how you wired the module. This is described in the module installation documentation:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/Enabling_modules

Have you read the official module installation docs at
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleInstallation ? If not, you should do that before doing anything else, then make sure your installation follows that. If something in that isn't clear - and it tries to cover all the possibilities, so that's very possible - ask about it.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, some of the bugs fixed post 4.0.1 are in the module detection code. Generally, they caused the wrong module to be reported as missing. That may also be contributing to your problems.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 07:24 by mwm.

More
06 Feb 2016 08:20 #42657 by Littlepip
Hi MWM ,

Thanks for your quick reply, I have read and re read the docs you mentioned which is how got this far. I have the A715 wired to TMS so have it set to A13 and the NRF is at TCK so set to A14. MY tx ini has no visible semi colons showing in the notepad++ edit at all even trying show all characters which just added line feed to the end of each line but nothing before it. This is the one unchanged I installed from the 4.01 download with nothing changed by me. I will change the my tx.ini to include the semi colons from the page you pointed to.

I followed bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleInstallation? to do the installation.

What do you recommend as firmware goes, should I go with a nightly and if so is the A&105 wired correctly ? Mine is like this see attachment. What does the cathode connect mean? That I cant work out.

Also a quick question if I change firmware to a nightly I can just format the USB drive and copy the files over and do a calibrate the sticks, is this correct? I think it is what the manual says but I want to be sure in my mind as I was unclear on this as it also mentions defuse but I think this is just when changing from stock walkera firmware.

Regards

Gary
Attachments:

More
06 Feb 2016 10:32 #42660 by Littlepip
Hi

I have tried all of these things and checked my wiring and still cant get the NRF to go and this is No 2. If I try and load my sons mode using V2x2 protocol is shuts the tx down and then loads back up but has removed the protocol from the model settings to none in the Devo 7e from V2x2 also some strange characters flash on the screen first before this shuts off.

As for the semi colons I think they are there but for some reason my PC is not showing them font color could be same as the attachment box from the forum showing nothing an odd thing with my PC and fonts.

All the protocols show up without an asterisk and look like they should work but just do not. So I am stuck again .

I have changed the module to try my first one with the same results, I am the give it up stage now I have done everything as it should it should be it seems but it is not working. This is typical for me I get the odd ones always, something that should never happen happens to me. Never mind . So I am not sure now what to try other than another firmware.

Gary

More
06 Feb 2016 14:44 #42671 by Deal57
In this case it may be helpful to go through the installation process from the beginning. The TX.ini modules section above is simply not going to work.

; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
; has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
enable-a7105 = A13
has_pa-a7105 = 1
; enable-cc2500 = A14
; has_pa-cc2500 = 1
; enable-nrf24l01 = A14
; has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
; enable-multimod = A13[/code]

* AFTER editing, save the TX.ini file.
* USE Window's "Safely Remove USB" feature to remove the USB drive for your TX. Wait a few seconds for it to complete then power down your TX.

More
06 Feb 2016 15:34 #42674 by Littlepip
Hi Deal57,

Sorry to sound dull ,do you do mean to re do the firmware installation from the beginning using the defuse software ? I am still not sure if I just copy the files to the transmitter or re do the install with defuse after deviation has been loaded the first time.

or do you mean to re install the modules again which I have re done this morning.

If firmware, what version would you recommend? I want to get the best version for my situation and modules A7105 and NRF24L01. It looks as if 4.01 may some problems that have been fixed in nightly versions, should I just get the latest nightly and start from there?

I see you have added a tx.ini so I think you mean me to use 4.01 but at this stage I want to be clear in my mind what I am to do.

Thanks

Gary

More
06 Feb 2016 16:26 #42676 by Deal57
Sorry if I was confusing. Yes, it probably makes sense to start at the beginning with a nightly build. The most recent is the one from 1/27 and that should be good for you. Remember to use the PC's "Safely Remove USB" feature before unplugging or powering off the TX (this helps avoid corrupting the USB drive). Also remember to make a backup of any model.ini files you've worked on.

Install the DFU, then format the USB drive, then copy the file system - just the Deviation system will be loaded, don't edit anything or load anything else. You should be able to power up and see the DSMX/2 and Devo protocols available, but the others will have the asterisk in front (e.g. "*Hubsan"). At this stage you should also calibrate your sticks. if this doesn't all work, you have a hardware problem.

If that is all working, cycle the power, then edit Hardware.ini to remove the semi-colons from just the two lines for the A7105 -- if this boots and runs normally, you can then remove the semicolons from the two lines for the NRF module. Once again, check to see if the protocols are available.

If at any point you see that the protocols are available but when you try to use them the TX reboots or exhibits any other bad behavior, let us know!

More
06 Feb 2016 18:01 #42682 by Littlepip
Hi again

I followed your instruction to the letter installed the dfu formatted the USB system coppied the file system latest nightly to the drive ejected the drive switched off and back on and now I get missing modules cyrf6936. This is new and the radio was working with dsmx model blade nano qx before the firmware upgrade , i flew the model to make sure it was all ok then.

Sorry to be trouble but I follow all instructions and I still get know where in fact i have gone backwards the radio does not work at all now. I can't do any more tonight have to go to the wife now but thanks for your help.

Regards

Gary

More
07 Feb 2016 00:33 #42696 by mwm
Ok, this is actually progress. Assuming you're using the unmodified hardware.ini for a nightly - or the unmodified tx.ini for 4.0.1 - then your hardware installation is shorting something out and disabling the CYRF module. I'd do a connectivity check on the CYRF module pins, and if that doesn't turn up anything post closeups of all the solder work so that the experts here (not me) can check the work.

More
07 Feb 2016 08:38 #42711 by Littlepip
Hi all,

We continue, I removed everything from the Devo and then re installed the latest nightly following deal57 instructions this time it came up OK with no missing crf. Ha ha www.deviationtx.com/media/kunena/emoticons/w00t.png at this stage no editing done. I then check the module the NRF24l01 and found a minute solder bridge on the end of the board which I cleaned up with some solder wick. I re soldered this module in and turned on the radio no bangs or magic smoke so good so far. I have edited the hardware ini to enable the NRF and set it to A13 as I have used csn to tms also I enable the Power amp setting to 1 in hardware.ini. All looks good at this point I have a working radio that will operate my Nano QX so that's a good start. I have a yizhan x4 and Alien x250 I want to try it with. I have lots of protocols show up without an asterisk so that's good but I cant bind the yizhan using v2x2, not so good here then. Is there anything I am missing on the bind ? with it's own radio you have to throttle up and down to bind or get it going this does nothing with my Devo. So we have some progress at least my radio is working with the latest nightly and is showing lots of protocols no asterisk. Do you think the NRF is working from this description, I am not sure how to check it from here, I will try the X250 and see if that binds or not.

Gary

More
07 Feb 2016 08:54 - 07 Feb 2016 10:46 #42713 by Littlepip
I think it must have worked, I have bound to the X250 and flew it fine it is using the V2x2 protocol so it has to be working www.deviationtx.com/media/kunena/emoticons/w00t.png

I am so grateful for every ones help, I know how hard getting things like this sorted out when the people you are trying to help have little experience and do not always understand what you are telling them. So from the bottom of my heart thank you. I think it is all good now, I will report back in a day or so to say for sure but flying on the V2x2 is a really good sign.

I can bind to the Alien x250 so it must be working but I can not get the Yizhan x4 to bind ? I do not understand this they seem to have the same protocol V2x2 so if one works shouldn't the other one work?

Are there any model.ini files for these quads available anywhere I could try. The Alien is set up with just a bind so it will fly but that's all non of the features flips, return, etc. I have no idea how to set those things up.

Gary
Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 10:46 by Littlepip. Reason: Additional info

More
10 Feb 2016 09:39 - 10 Feb 2016 09:41 #42924 by Littlepip
Hi,

Just a quick question on if my NRF24L01 is working properly . I can bind and fly my Son's XK Alien X250 no problem at all with the V2x2 protocol and lots of protocols show up in my tx without asterisks in front of them. I can not bind to a Yizhan X4 that I think uses the same V2x2 protocol.does this mean I still may have a problem with the module? of am I not using the correct protocol?. I do not know how to find out what protocol a model uses other than here that is.

Gary
Last edit: 10 Feb 2016 09:41 by Littlepip. Reason: error

More
10 Feb 2016 13:31 #42935 by hexfet
If a particular protocol works for one aircraft it should work for any using the same protocol. Sometimes these manufacturers make changes without changing the model number. If someone has that model maybe they can say if there's a trick to binding.

More
11 Feb 2016 05:25 #42981 by C0ckpitvue 777

More
11 Feb 2016 06:11 #42984 by Littlepip
Hi,

Been there, that is where I found the V2x2 info for the Yizhan, but my Yizhan will not bind on V2x2 where I can bind the XK alien X250 and fly it just fine on the same V2x2 protocol. I was wondering how you guys find which protocol a model is on other than the spread sheet that is. I looked at model adverts and they do not say which protocol generally. I would really like to try this Yizhan X4 deviated, it would give me peace of mind that the NRF24l01 is really good to go. I do not have anything else to try it with other than these two and loads of stuff I built with Orange or Walkera receivers. I do have a LaTrax Alias I have as an FPV setup but it is not in the spread sheet so I do not know that one's protocol to try deviated and my Ladybird and Nano QX FPV are both on the stock CRYF. I realize my "other than here" comment was not very clear, I am not the best with grammar and spelling well thank god for spell checkers I get so many wiggly red under lines when typing it's frightening :-).

Regards

Gary

More
11 Feb 2016 07:20 #42991 by mwm
Well, I know which protocol to use because I buy from manufacturers that tell me the protocol - usually DSM2 or DSMx, though there are a few others. Those that don't usually don't because they sell an RTF system, and don't care if the thing works with something other than the transmitter they sell with it - including transmitter that may sell with later versions or sold with earlier version of the same model.

If you've got one of those, then there are a number of steps you can take. Check to see if someone reports it working with any other RTF transmitter - for instance, if the new Syma X10000 is known to work with the Syma X12 transmitter, then it probably uses the same protocol. Extra functions may be different, though.

Failing that, open the Tx and see if you can find the Rf module. If it's one of the four supported by deviation or a clone of one, then you can try those protocols - starting with the ones for other craft from that manufacturer - and see if one works. If you can't identify the Rf module or don't know about it, post a picture of the Tx board with what you have here, and see if someone can let you know what's up.

As noted, manufacturers sometimes change protocols without changing model numbers, or create minor variations on the protocol that can be hazardous to your model if used with the wrong variation. All of which are reasons I prefer buying models that use a well-known protocol.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds