Wireless buddyBox w/ FlySky, getting some jitter

More
09 Mar 2016 02:42 - 09 Mar 2016 13:42 #44300 by Cereal_Killer
Hello. I have a "wireless buddybox" setup using an A7105 module in my 7E and a "Micro FlySky PPM Rx" inside my 10 wired with it's PPM output to the trainer port input. The thing works great when I'm running it as a dual operator setup (in which [the 7E] is the camera operator's controller) but the gimbal is set to move very slowly and jitter doesnt show up.
Even is simulator use (where the 10 is plugged into the computer and the 7E is in my hand for a wireless setup) I dont notice any jitter. The channel monitor shows trainer channel output's are stable 99% of the time, as are the PPM input's so maybe "jitter" isnt the correct term for the problem I'm having... The thing is, when I actually try to buddybox fly another model at random intervals it'll get a strange rocket up, or full right AIL or RUD or whatever. Always random channels and always at random times.

What, if anything can I do to diagnose what is happening and where the instability is coming from? Can I fine tune the system by editing the PPM input settings when I click on the PPM IN spin box?
My main goal was the camera dual operator setup which it does very well however I was really looking forward to buddyboxing with my wife and kids actually flying my big models (not just their toys) so I'd like to get it working. I attempted to fly a little 200 tri with me holding the 7E and the issue made it so even I cold hardly control it, no way I could expect them to be able to control it like that.

I believe the problem to be within either the FlySky specific hardware or the protocol it's self. Well that or the PPM pulse width settings of the Devo 10 because I am using a similar setup (DSMX based) as a 2.4 --> 433 repeater (an OrangeRx PPM rx is the PPM input to my ULRS system and it has absolutely no jitter / whatever the jumping channels are). Note I am standing with in a few meters of eachother, and the FlySky rx inside the 10 is separated as far as possible from the antenna of the devo module and protected by a layer of copper tape on the inside of the top part of the 10's case (trying to keep it's own signal from coming back and swamping the flysky receiver)

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 13:42 by Cereal_Killer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2016 05:22 #44304 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Wireless buddyBox w/ FlySky, getting some jitter
Have you tried the exact same thing wired?

More
09 Mar 2016 13:41 #44322 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Wireless buddyBox w/ FlySky, getting some jitter
I can't. The trainer port of the 7E is utilized for the PPM add-on arduino. That's the whole reason for the wireless method. The camera operator really has to have those POT's so it's not really an option for me.

If nothing else I can open it up and connect wires for testing but it can not stay like that. Again the ONE thing it does work for now is the camera controller so I can't break that to try to fix something else lol.

More
09 Mar 2016 20:24 - 09 Mar 2016 20:26 #44339 by Deal57
Since these are inbound signals from the 7e to the Micro Flysky RX, can you attach that PPM output to an oscilloscope or an Arduino to see if the channel output is consistent?

I presume that you are using a different outbound protocol than Flysky, right? I am wondering if you might be getting some 2.4ghz signal or channel conflict. You mentioned that the problem appears to occur only when you are receiving on the Flysky and transmitting out the Devo 10, so maybe it's a radio thing? Does the problem get worse if you use higher power output on the Devo10 or lower power from the devo7e?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 20:26 by Deal57.

More
12 Mar 2016 16:24 #44469 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Wireless buddyBox w/ FlySky, getting some jitter
OK done some experimenting, first up was to wire it. Physically wired together with PPM out of the 7E into the 10 there is no problem, I can fly models no problem but since that isn't a permanent option I put it right back to the wireless setup...

I can't change the power output as I'm using a non-PA'd A7105 in the 7E. The output of the 10 is DSMX btw.

Don't have a scope. Next I'll look into using an arduino to view the PPM signal from the flysky rx.

More
24 Mar 2016 19:39 - 24 Mar 2016 19:49 #45115 by Cereal_Killer
Ok so today I switched the flysky micro rx out for an orange and it's now flying my models fine! Also made some cool body mods with it...

pics: I'm using hot glue as a light-pipe to get the two LED's visible through one hole (which is sealed with that hot glue). Below is the bind button, it's a cool little piece I had in my junk bin, it's a silicone cap over a tact switch and is also sealed so no dirt / Water can get it. I made the switch exactly level so I don't feel it with my palm ("light-pipe" is slightly recessed)

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Looks like the $8 rx was suspect, I've put it on my list to get around to updating the FW on it (it's a PIC and there's code from the guy that wrote it that adds function too), should I ever get it working I will update. It's low priority though...

Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 19:49 by Cereal_Killer.

More
27 Mar 2016 14:49 - 27 Mar 2016 14:50 #45268 by Cereal_Killer
Update: my wife flew yesterday (it went well) but most importantly the the radio link between the two tx's performed flawless. Not a single uncommitted jitter!

Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 14:50 by Cereal_Killer.

More
28 Mar 2016 00:19 #45312 by Deal57
Good to hear! Interesting project and great results. Double good your wife's flying went well!

Do you have a concept drawing or list of the pieces you've used? This seems like another good way to use the deviation ppm features.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds