Should I use PPM with Devo 10 (deviation) and CC3D

More
25 Mar 2016 17:27 #45165 by n8huntsman
I'm building my first quad. Starting with an eachine flacon. I have a Devo 10 and RX1002. I'm putting Deviation on the Devo. The falcon comes with a CC3D which I plan to use for a while. Eventually I'd like to swap it for a CC3D Revo, oplink, and GPS.

For the time being, would it be beneficial to use the RX1002 then swap it out when I upgrade to the Revo for something that does PPM?

Or is that a waste of time configuring deviation and just bite the bullet and swap my RX now?

Any obvious pros and cons to PPM with the above setup?

Recomendations on an RX?
OrangeRx R1020X? It says,
• 10 Channels PWM
• 9 channels CPPM

Is that (10 PWM + 9 CPPM) for 19 possible channels or 1(0 PWM or 9 CPPM) for 10 max channels?

If it's (and) maybe better off getting the OrangeRx R410X since my TX only has 10 channels anyways?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2016 19:34 #45178 by mwm
Deviation is sort of immaterial to this question. The PPM/PWM communications happens between the receiver and flight controller, and you don't have to do anything in deviation for it. Well, other than deal with potential differences.

PPM (aka CPPM and sumpwm) is generally preferred, as it just needs one signal line instead of one per channel, so it's a lighter build with fewer things that can fail. On the downside, PWM has a fixed size frame, and it's possible that if many channels go to max at once you'll overflow it and lose sync. I'm not sure what the frame length is on the OrangeRx receivers, but that's probably why they only support 9 channels of PWM. You can help with this in deviation by setting binary toggle channels (that are either on or off) to use the lowest "on" value - normally 100 - that works, since lower values have shorter pulses. The PWM frame may also be longer than the Rx/Tx frame time, which some people claim creates a noticeable lag. I certainly can't feel differences on those scales, but I'm not the pilot any of them are, either.

The OrangeRX stuff will almost certainly be 10 channels max, though I haven't looked at the latest ones. It's a bit unusual to get both sets of values at once, though that is changing.

Since you haven't picked an Rx yet, I'd check your flight controller and see if it supports S.Bus. if so, get the one of the OrangeRx S.Bus receivers. S.Bus is a proper serial protocol and not a sum of pulse widths, so there's no danger of overflowing it. The frame - even with lots of channels - is much shorter than the PPM frame or even a short Rx/Tx frame, so no problems there. And it's still only one signal wire.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Mar 2016 23:21 #45195 by Deal57
I have the OrangeRX r1020x and it powers both the PWM pins as well as the CPPM channel. All 10 channels, and 1-9 can be delivered at the same time either way. So if you have a single CPPM to your FC, the FC sees all 9 channels, and you can also plug in servos, lights, whatever on the PWM pins. This works great for a light/sound system that alarms when there is no PWM activity on your throttle, for example.

Sbus is nice, too, but my APM just does CPPM and I'm really happy with it!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
29 Mar 2016 01:48 #45365 by n8huntsman
Am I correct that if I want to use SBUS, oplink telemetry, and GPS, I need to get the CC3D revo that has the integrated oplink radio? The one without the radio wont have enough ports to connect sbus, oplink mini, and gps if I am reading correctly.
Integrated oplink telemetry - www.banggood.com/OpenPiolot-CC3D-Revolut...Board-p-1000084.html
separate oplink - www.banggood.com/CC3D-Revolution-Mini-Co...Board-p-1019051.html
If I useed CPPM, either would work. Is that all correct?

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds