Hi, I'm new and need a lot of HELP!

More
02 Apr 2016 03:19 #45612 by misherman
Hi, I'm new and need a lot of HELP! was created by misherman
Challenges for a new Deviation user.
Just received a Blade Nano QX 3D as a gift and trying to fly it with my new Deviated 7E. I flashed 4.0.1 in Feb. but didn't have any quads that used the stock transmitter module until now. I'm planning to build the Muti Module for my other quads, but the 3D gives me a chance to use the Deviation software and my 1st programmable transmitter before I butcher it with my MM plan.

I've spent many hours reviewing user guides, watching video tutorials, and trolling the rcg and deviation forums. I thought I was ready - I wasn't.

First step - bind the quad. Surely the Deviation User's Manual will cover that. Nope. Lots of good info, but seems more like a reference manual (a good one) than a "how to" guide for noobs. But I got some help from rcg including a pointer to Frequent Flyer vid on binding to the 7E. Perfect! And I'm already a subscriber! He starts with an empty model and user the transmitter GUI to build a pretty simple model - I can do simple. First you go to Model Type and change it to "MULTI". But I don't get "MULTI" as an option! Why not? He said he had the same Dev release. OK, he also said he thinks any Model Type could work, so I push on. I change the protocol to DMSX. That's it! He's done and his Syma binds - my 3D is not interested.I tried many many sequences of turning off the transmitter, quad, re-binding explicitly from the transmitter, implicitly by plugging in the quad battery, being on various screens of the transmitter for the bind, and finally it binds - and immediately flies into the wall and crashed! I was so proud!

After many repetitions to ensure I didn't inadvertently leave the throttle on, and checked the transmitter config to be sure it was mode 2 (it was), all with the same result. Obviuosly the quad thought the right stick was throttle and was taking off at bind (centered at 50%). I finally guessed (still not sure) the model was overriding the trans config. So I dove into the mixer screen and found a screen that pairs channels and functions like Throttle, etc. Now, how do I know what channel numbers are associated with the left and right stick movements? I had read mwm's tutorial on writing a model config and he suggested that channel maps were specific - so look in the transmitter manual. So 70 pages of the Manual of Devo - 7E and...nothing! No maps, no pictures. Mwm's other advice to figure this out was to guess - brilliant and in my wheelhouse. He also had some examples in his tutorial that were all the same (except for a Devo 10), so I used them: 1-THR, 2 - AIL, 3-ELE, 4 - RUD. I went back to the Mixer and made these changes, then back to the random binding sequences again - no luck! Did I mess something up? Could be anything. Maybe I nodded off earlier and dreamt the whole binding nightmare. Starting to get frustrated working through the transmitter.

As a former programmer, I start thinking that the scripts from mwm's tutorial examples may be a better way for me to go. And even better if I can get one already done for my quad. I was surprised that after another day of scanning the forums for something that I thought was a popular quad on a standard protocol, I came up with only 5 candidate model files that were generously offered by their creators. There were several caveats - 2 were for the Blade Nano qX (not 3D), some would only do 2 of 3 flight modes (fine - I just want to hover), some may not work totally on the 7E, and some had what sounded like minor problems. I loaded them all on my 7E with help from Tom Z's tutorial video.

Only 1 of the 5 models bound for me today, and it flies in stability mode (haven't figured out how to switch to acro)! These models are way over my head, but I am encouraged to dig in. I've already checked and the Model Type is PLANE (not QUAD), there is an icon = QUAD (but no icon appears) Where are these things? It's a slow climb (for me) to get to a level where the procedures are behind (mostly), and you get to the good stuff. I know everyone has to struggle through it, and if I sounded at all ungrateful for all the help I've gotten and still will need from this community, I absolutely didn't mean it and humbly (very humbly) apologize.

Oh, I've gone back to the model I built using the screens, and with a fresh start - it binds and flies! Correct protocol, correct channel mapping, acceptable Model Type (PLANE), but the screen displayed when you fly still shows the % of the AIL, not the THR! Tomorrow's another day. Therapeutic dump complete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2016 03:49 #45616 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Hi, I'm new and need a lot of HELP!
Multi is not in the release version 4.0.1, it is only in the Nightly Builds. Also, many protocols are in the Nightly Builds that are not in the release version 4.0.1.

Release version 5.0 is coming soon (we all hope :whistle: ), and it will have the improvements that are now in the Nightly Builds. Until then, it's best to use the latest Nightly Build, they are pretty stable.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

More
02 Apr 2016 05:09 #45623 by misherman
Replied by misherman on topic Hi, I'm new and need a lot of HELP!
Thanks. I'll update and see what other mysteries are resolved.

More
02 Apr 2016 21:58 #45674 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Hi, I'm new and need a lot of HELP!
Binding has to happen at both the aircraft and controller. Deviation runs on the controller, and the manual tells you how to bind with it, though it may not be easy to find. You just hit the Bind (or Reinit) button on the model setup page. For the aircraft - it varies from protocol to protocol and model to model in a protocol or between receivers if you have stand-alone receivers. That's not something we can really cover.

I think you overestimated the popularity of your aircraft. While the original Nano Qx was very popular - it's still arguably the best indoor quad on the market - the 3D seems to be something of a flop. They've already dropped the price and seem to be on the way to discontinuing it. And all the blade products are a bit pricey, so might not be attractive to the same audience as the 7E - so you find 6/8/10/12 model files but fewer 7E ones.

DSM is one of the oddball protocols for channel order. But it should come out right. However, I think we have issues when changing protocols on an existing model - it seems to break my model channel maps every time. If you got to DSM that way, that may have been a problem.

FWIW, I've been thinking about doing an "Introduction to hobby-grade transmitters" to go along with the model config tutorial. That would be targeted at people like you.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 Apr 2016 04:41 #45682 by misherman
@mwm
"Binding has to happen at both the aircraft and controller. Deviation runs on the controller, and the manual tells you how to bind with it, though it may not be easy to find. You just hit the Bind (or Reinit) button on the model setup page. For the aircraft - it varies from protocol to protocol and model to model in a protocol or between receivers if you have stand-alone receivers. That's not something we can really cover. "

I did get one imported 3D model to bind, so I can work with that one. Also got the bind to recalibrate acc, so stable hover attained in stability mode. Always was stable in agility mode, so pointed to acc problem (solved by binding in very lopsided position and shook something loose). Now binding with 1/4" shim under right side for stability mode. Not a problem since I really wanted the quad to learn acro, which seems stable. I just have to update the model to stop reversing motors and I have an idea for that.

"I think you overestimated the popularity of your aircraft...And all the blade products are a bit pricey, "

Thanks. That explains why not many models for 3D/7E combo. Yeah, I wouldn't buy it, but my son did along with a Nano QX. He didn't like the 3D and gave it to me. Getting it for nothing fits my 7E value system.

"That would be targeted at people like you."

Just a figure of speech, right? Why did it make me nervous... Yes, I think that would be good. It would be something I could still use...Maybe start with some general info and either compare the DEVO, Taranis, and maybe 1 or 2 moreif warranted iin how they have implemented features???

More
03 Apr 2016 19:40 #45732 by mwm

misherman wrote: Yes, I think that would be good. It would be something I could still use...Maybe start with some general info and either compare the DEVO, Taranis, and maybe 1 or 2 moreif warranted iin how they have implemented features???

Well, if you want to donate a Taranis to the project, that would help :cheer: . I don't have one, and haven't used OpenTx since 2.0 came out, but a lot of would be pretty general - talking about inputs and curve mappings and changing them based on switches and the like. The details on how you do it vary with the firmware, and I might not bother much about that because it would essentially be a reference manual, which you should already have. Probably pull some of the intro material from the existing model config tutorial, and then turn them into a two-part document.

More
03 Apr 2016 20:55 #45739 by misherman

mwm wrote:

misherman wrote: Yes, I think that would be good. It would be something I could still use...Maybe start with some general info and either compare the DEVO, Taranis, and maybe 1 or 2 moreif warranted iin how they have implemented features???

Well, if you want to donate a Taranis to the project, that would help :cheer: . I don't have one, and haven't used OpenTx since 2.0 came out, but a lot of would be pretty general - talking about inputs and curve mappings and changing them based on switches and the like. The details on how you do it vary with the firmware, and I might not bother much about that because it would essentially be a reference manual, which you should already have. Probably pull some of the intro material from the existing model config tutorial, and then turn them into a two-part document.

Seriously, you will be the first on my list to send a Taranis as soon as I have my second one. Based on my experience of being in this hobby for about 12 months, and wanting to do more than just fly toy grade for about the last 6, I was thinking about getting my 1st Taranis in about 2 more years...

BTW I think I have received all the components and header pins from China to start my 4-module external Multi Mod pretty soon. Just have to do a few things first - like taxes... :unsure:

More
04 Apr 2016 22:48 - 08 Apr 2016 22:51 #45805 by mwm
Ok, I've gotten bit by this, and started tutorial for people moving tackling programmable transmitters for the first time. You can read/comment on it at

rc.mired.org/p/blog-page.html

So far, I've done the intro/terminology part, and am about to start on the first bit of programming.

Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 22:51 by mwm. Reason: Change link to use published version

More
05 Apr 2016 17:18 #45849 by misherman
OK, I gave it a shot. Appreciate that you wanted the input of a rookie. I'm sure it will be obvious that's what you got!

BTW, I found it very useful in helping me understand a little more, and probably have more questions that I can ask. (I hope less dumb!)

1st - less dumb. Are the screens on my 7E the same as the 7E emulator (like your 12)?
2nd - why doesn't the FC on the nan qx 3d understand what I want to controller to tell it? Couldn't help it...

More
05 Apr 2016 19:21 #45854 by misherman
hmmm, maybe 1st question wasn't less dumb. I was assuming the are separate emulators for each radio???

More
06 Apr 2016 00:49 #45884 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Hi, I'm new and need a lot of HELP!
The Emulators are built for each radio. They are remarkable in that the emulator not only provides basic functionality, but it also supports hardware.ini changes, so if you have a soldered-in module, a multimodule or switches they are emulated as well.

I keep a copy of all the emulators so I can test new models or try out someone else's.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
06 Apr 2016 02:49 #45891 by misherman
That's good. Next item is to get the one for 7E and see if it helps in modifying a model I got from the forum.

Been guessing about changes to make on the screens, and the Channel monitor on the tx seems to indicate I am getting what I want - but the quad doesn't respond.

Hope the emulator will help.

More
06 Apr 2016 15:51 #45930 by mwm
I don't have a 12, I just wanted that big color image for illustrations. But yes, they are all the same.

The reason they respond to hardware.ini changes and the like is that they actually run the same code as the transmitters. They're "ports" that draw to an image on your desktop screen instead of the transmitter screen, and have hooks to track the inputs & outputs instead of the "hardware" the other transmitters are connected to.

The 7E emulator does have one significant difference from the other emulators. The 7E proper doesn't have the Main Page config feature since it won't fit on the transmitter. It's enabled on the emulator so you can use it to set up a main page and see what it'll look like, and then copy the file to your transmitter to use that page.

More
08 Apr 2016 22:51 #46138 by mwm
FWIW, I've published that tutorial at rc.mired.org/p/blog-page.html

More
09 Apr 2016 16:56 #46189 by misherman
Good job! I think it turned out very well. I know I learned a few things even after reading the draft beforehand.

Understood about 75%, which is a good score considering where I started!

More
09 Apr 2016 17:08 #46190 by misherman
Back to a new question...
I got the Nightly version installed as well as the emulator. Looking at the emulator map for keyboard commands -

1) What switch or char controls the Hold switch on my 7E?
2) Assume I don't have t/g, T/G, y/h, Y/H,z, x, c, v, b. Is that correct?
3) Question for a week or so from now - when I install the 3 x 2 switches, what will control them?

Still hoping the emu will help me understand what I messed up in the nano QX 3D model using the tx screens!

Thanks in advance.

More
09 Apr 2016 18:18 #46197 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Hi, I'm new and need a lot of HELP!
The table of keyboard controls is in the Online User Manual from the links on the left, chapter 12. I printed one out and put it under my clear desk pad.

When you install the 3x2 you'll update your hardware.ini file. Use that same file in the root of the emulator folder, and the switches will be available in the emulator.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
09 Apr 2016 19:43 #46216 by mwm
I meant to comment on the Nano QX 3D issue, but don't think I did.

The original Nano QX (a major improvement on most of it's successors) used an edge-triggered channel to switch flight modes. If the 3D version does the same, then trying to use a switch will be painful at best. The output channel has to go from low to high in order to switch modes. Going from high to low doesn't do anything. A 2-way switch has to be thrown twice to change from one flight mode to the next. A 3-way switch can be configured with the 1 position as High, and then you can change modes by toggling from the 0 to the 2 position. Personally, I use a button configured as a momentary virtual switch, which works like the RTF transmitter, changing modes when I hit the button.

More
09 Apr 2016 20:37 #46221 by misherman
@Deal57
Thanks!. I had an older copy that didn't have the emulator controls broken out by transmitter - the on-line one is much better!

@mwm
I need to study your post to better understand or ask a better question! Off to grandson's soccer game for now!

More
11 Apr 2016 03:35 #46304 by misherman
OK. I've had a chance to play with the 7E emulator and confirmed:

1- The changes I made to the Nano 3D model (from someone named Kunena?) are not working as I thought they would.
2- I don't know why (yet).

I think before I ask several ignorant specific questions,I should ask a more general (still ignorant) question:

I don't really understand how much "control" you can get over a quad by using the deviation.ini model software vs. what is burned into the quads flight controller. For example, I'm assuming that you cannot "program" an acro flight mode if the quad's FC doesn't have an acro flight mode (like the "good" Blade Nano QX does). Meaning you can't just turn of the self stabilizing gyros. (It would be good to get an assuring "That's right", or "Correction!" on each of these points.) But you can apparently (from many videos I've watched) use deviation to deepen the pitch or roll and increase the yaw. But, are you really getting the pitch deeper or just increasing the speed to get it to it's max pitch (same for yaw speed). I can see some pgming control functions that would take you to the max (100%) quicker (rate mods on the sticks), but not how you actually get deeper pitch than what is in the FC for that mode?

The "bad" Nano QX 3D has an "agility" native mode, that turns off the self stabilizer and flies like acro, except it also assumes the throttle range is -100 to +100. The motors reverse at 0. If you start at -100 the motors pull the quad into the floor, decelerate as you increase the throttle to 0, then reverse and it flies up without stabilization from 1 to 100, until you try to correct too much vertical and go negative throttle, and the thing goes berserk. I am thinking that without "changing" what is on the FC, I could set the output for the throttle to a range of 0 to 100 in agility mode and fly acro without ever reversing the motors (eliminating negative throttle). Does this seem feasible? or is the FC going to assume anything below 50% on the throttle stick is negative and reverse motors?

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds