Wiki and Model Configs

More
15 Apr 2016 04:09 - 15 Apr 2016 04:13 #46542 by PhracturedBlue
Wiki and Model Configs was created by PhracturedBlue
Thanks to a lot of help from FDR and mwm, we've setup a new wiki (accessible from the bar on the left).

We have migrated what was on the bitbucket wiki into this new wiki. I will be moving some other content there as well over the next days.

The wiki is editable by all users, so feel free to make changes if you like.

Additionally, I have tried an experiment to import all model files from the model-config forum section into the wiki. I am not sure if this will end up being useful or not, but it has a couple benefits:
1) You can look at the model files directly
2) The list is easy to search
3) Anyone can modify a model file (not just the thread owner)

I'm hopeful this will prove to be a better way to manage long-term model storage. It isn't as easy to use as the forums for uploading models, and it isn't possible to discuss the models on the wiki, so I don't think it will replace the forums. As I said, it is experimental. We'll try it out and see how it works. Note that the model pages are machine generated from the 1st post in the model config section for each post that has an ini attachment. There are likely all sorts of formatting issues due to this. Also, the generation is not automatic. Posting a new post in the forums will not generate a page in the wiki. If this works out, I will likely run the generation on a regular cadence though

Please let me know if you see any issues or have any requests.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 04:13 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2016 22:55 #50496 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Wiki and Model Configs
I finally went looking for this, and it looks great. But it would be nice if it listed which transmitters it would work for, as that seems to be an issue for a lot of people. I know many are shareable, and many models will work for more than one or even all transmitters, so maybe a list of switches and aux inputs or some such.

Is the script you used to create this page available? Gathering that information is liable to be easier than figuring out how to represent it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
12 Jun 2016 23:07 #50497 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Wiki and Model Configs
The script works directly off the mysql database, so that is not something I can share. It just goes through all posts in the models forum, and picks up the first post if it contains a model file and converts it to a wiki page. It is pretty crude.

I had planned to add a column to show the version of deviation it was designed for (since we do have occasional issues with backwards compatibility, but in the end I gave up on it. It would be pretty cool to have a script to convert models from one Tx to another (basically remap buttons/switches with some user input), but I doubt I'll ever have time to put something like that together.

More
13 Jun 2016 02:01 #50517 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Wiki and Model Configs
I wrote a model file switch conversion utility (see www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...h-conversion-utility ). It's not really finished, because I got hung up trying to figure out how to deal with virtual switches. But support for it was integrated into greenfly's model file utility ( www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...file-utility-updated ).

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.029 seconds