Weird DEVO 10 behavior with Cheerson CX-31

More
25 Apr 2016 23:51 #47195 by Fer
I have recently purchased a Cheerson CX-31 which as far as i know runs on the YD717 protocol (the otherways known as Skywalker protocol???)

The Quad (shaped as a small UFO), flys ok with the stock tx, but as with all other quads i wanted to be able to fly it with my DEVO 10.

Two weird things happen.

a) The quad binds and flyes, but all moves seems to be somehow mixed with others. When giving farward elevator an amount of right aileron is applyed as well. The same goes with backward flight. Right aileron is applyed and the quad does not fly straingt. The same happens with rudder. When pirueting the quad actually makes circles of about one meter diameter. It seem that with every commad, a portion of other movements are applyed too.

b) This is even more weird and annoyed and made me worrying to the point i "unistalled" CX-31 from the tx. When choosing the CX-31 memory slot, the tx often has the screen scrambled, and raws of ;;;;;;;; ;;;; ;;;;;; ;;;;; ;;;;; ;;; are appearing on the screen. This happens only when choosing the CX-31 model memory slot. I don't know why. Does it have to do with the YD717? I even upgraded from an older Nightly Builds version to a more current one a couple of weeks ago, but the same thing happens with the new version. Has anyone esle ever experienced this problem? Does anyone else fly the CX-31 with DEVO with no problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2016 02:39 #47205 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Weird DEVO 10 behavior with Cheerson CX-31
a) Have you tried the various protocol option formats (click on the protocol to access the options)?

b) I've seen that on my devo 10 but cannot reproduce on demand. Backing up a menu or two should clear the screen.

More
26 Apr 2016 09:46 #47220 by Fer
b) Yes, going back a couple of clicks makes the screen behave like it should, but to be sure, i shut it down and turn it back on again.

a) I am not sure i understand what you suggest. You say that i should choose a different protocol? I think the CX-31 is only compatible with YD717. I wish there was another option to choose.

Thank you.

More
26 Apr 2016 20:02 #47257 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Weird DEVO 10 behavior with Cheerson CX-31

Fer wrote: b) Yes, going back a couple of clicks makes the screen behave like it should, but to be sure, i shut it down and turn it back on again.

a) I am not sure i understand what you suggest. You say that i should choose a different protocol? I think the CX-31 is only compatible with YD717. I wish there was another option to choose.

Thank you.

Highlight the protocol name (YD717) and press ENT. Use R/L to scroll through the available formats.

More
26 Apr 2016 21:08 #47263 by Fer
Well... After all this time flying all sorts of planes, helis, and quads of so many different protocols, i had never heard or read anything about "the available formats".!!!!!! Thank you so much, i now see there is an available option of Skywalker format, i guess that must be the right on. I am charging battery already to try it. I hope that fixes the problem with the ;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;; ;;;; too.

Almost all memory slots are full now... With CX-31 i am at 26 models in my DEVO 10. I am close to the limit of 30.

More
26 Apr 2016 21:47 #47267 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Weird DEVO 10 behavior with Cheerson CX-31

Fer wrote: Almost all memory slots are full now... With CX-31 i am at 26 models in my DEVO 10. I am close to the limit of 30.

actually your not close to the limit. I have 75 models in my devo.
you can create new model files by copying empty model files and give them new numbers: model31.ini, model32.ini etc.
i'm not sure how far you can go but at least a lot more.

Tom

More
26 Apr 2016 22:18 #47273 by Fer
You guys almost made me cry of happiness tonight :) Thank you, thank you. The CX-31 flew as it should, and the tx didn't do anything weird, although i will have to make sure about that after flying a few more times.

Also... 75 models???? And counting??? Yeeeeeeeesssssss.... Why didn't i ever just try that, to add a lets say model31.ini and see what happens. Now i can plan my next purchases :)

You should see the faces of some people at the airfield when they realize that this tx binds to whatever lies in front of it on the tarmac. I believe there is no return to other txs once you fly with deviated DEVO.

More
27 Apr 2016 14:05 #47303 by mwm

Fer wrote: You guys almost made me cry of happiness tonight :) Thank you, thank You should see the faces of some people at the airfield when they realize that this tx binds to whatever lies in front of it on the tarmac. I believe there is no return to other txs once you fly with deviated DEVO.

If all you want is the ability to fly those models, you could get any transmitter with an external module bay. I'd go for the Taranis myself. But that module uses the same RF modules as deviation, runs open source that is derived from the deviation source, and new protocols are ported between the two regularly. It's not quite as easy to use as deviation - yet. You have to select the protocol with physical buttons on the module. They are working on that, though.

But there's one thing that deviation doesn't do - fly with warranty protection. I keep a Spektrum Dx5e around and always use it for maidens on HH products. That's because HH tech support will help me with the configuration, and offer replacements if they think it's required. I've gotten new aircraft from them on occasion, which wouldn't happen with a devo.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Apr 2016 15:05 #47310 by Fer
You are right about the warranty protection, but anyone who chooses to make these modifications knows that warranty is not an option anymore. Besides, i also own a DX6i (used to own a DX7s too), just for a backup for my HH models.

As for the Taranis i didn't know it includes all these rf modules in a single module too. I thought you needed to switch modules each time. How many buttons does it have for selecting protocols? Or do you only select rf module to be activated? Anyway, it is good to know that the Taranis is an option too. All taranis models work that way, or only the newer ones?

More
27 Apr 2016 15:17 - 27 Apr 2016 15:18 #47312 by TomPeer
I have a taranis, but i am not aware that there is a module with all 3 modules inside.
I have a module for the flysky protocol, and a module for devo/dsm2(x)/j6pro.
if there are other modules i can use to fly other machines, that i can fly with deviation, i would very much like to know witch they are and were i can find them.
Because as far as i know, i can not fly all the modeles i fly with deviaton, with taranis.

Tom
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 15:18 by TomPeer.

More
28 Apr 2016 12:51 #47358 by mwm
I bought a Dx5E for that warranty issue.

The module with all the RF modules isn't from FrSky, it's another homebrew module. As such, it'll work on any radio that has an external transmitter module bay - the Taranis, the TH9X, etc. You could probably adopt it to radios with Futaba module bays as well. It's got all FOUR modules inside; The NRF24L01, CC2500, A7105 and CYRF module built into the walkera transmitters. Since it's DIY, how many protocols you can select depends on you. But like I said, they are working on a serial protocol that will cooperate with the firmware on the transmitter to list and select protocols on the transmitter. FWIW, this is what the "4-in-1" module being discussed in a variety of places is meant for.

Details on rcgroups at: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165676 .

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
28 Apr 2016 14:50 #47366 by TomPeer
ah, i see. Thanks.
Would be nice to have an ready to buy "can do all" module for the teranis. But Deviation will do fine.

Tom

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds