JYE Tech diy scope kit

More
19 May 2016 11:33 #48699 by HappyHarry
JYE Tech diy scope kit was created by HappyHarry
I've just finished soldering up one of these kits and I'm wondering if anyone else has done one? it's a cracking little kit and goes together easily enough, though it would have went easier if i'd have purchased the kit with the smd stuff already soldered lol. here's some pics of the build, smd parts finished

then the through hole stuff finished and using the built in test signal

and finally closed up in it's case,

one down side is that they sell a voltage boost module kit to run the scope from USB or battery but there isn't room in the case for it, nor do they provide a hole to run a cable in to it's hookup point. but that's a small gripe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2016 01:07 #48750 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic JYE Tech diy scope kit
I bought the one with the SMD already soldered in place...so it was a very quick assembly. The acrylic housing makes for a very nice display, and I put a 9v battery on a 5.5x2.1 plug. Yeah, it seems odd to make a nice case like this without room for a battery!

I've scoped every signal in the house :woohoo:

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
20 May 2016 16:39 #48877 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic JYE Tech diy scope kit
Any good? I gotta get myself one of those. :silly:

More
21 May 2016 20:30 #48979 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic JYE Tech diy scope kit
well as you've seen i've just put my one together so take what i say with that in mind, but afaics it's a great basic scope kit, and for the price you'd be hard pressed to match it, i've also got a signal generator kit arriving soon so i'll be better able to fully test it's workings but what i've tested with it so far it works perfectly :)

More
22 May 2016 13:50 #49011 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic JYE Tech diy scope kit
I like the small size and portability. Can't wait to hear your findings. Either way it's going on my shopping list. Lol.

More
22 Jun 2016 16:53 #50949 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic JYE Tech diy scope kit
I noticed that there are a lot of similar kits around, including more than one from JYETech. So I spent the morning doing research, and thought I'd share the results.

The DSO138 shown here is really popular - sufficiently so that there are counterfeit version running around, and at least one clone that stole the design if not the artwork from SainSmart. If this is the one you want, Banggood is buying there's from JYETech direct, and has excellent prices. They JYETEch page for them is at www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e138.php , and includes links to lists of vendors know to sell counterfeits and another of vendors known to sell originals. Gearbest has better prices, but is listed as shipping counterfeits. HobbyKing also sells these kits if you do business with them regularly.

The reviews on the DSO138 are mostly good. Triggering is a bit flaky, the vertical positioning is a pita, and the USB port apparently has no purpose. Also, be aware that there are four versions. It's fine for audio stuff and arduino and similar hardware, and should be great for dealing with servo signals and the like. Two have all the SMD components installed, and two only have the mcu and a few other components installed. Two are outdated; the newer ones have a minor hardware change that improves the accuracy. However, the open source firmware only works properly on the outdated one.

The DS0068 ( www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e068.php ) solves most of the issues with the DSO138 for about twice the cost of the one with the case. While it doesn't have a case, it has a front panel and proper buttons and switches, so doesn't need one nearly as badly as the DSO138. The major downside is that it's monochrome, and the measurements don't show up on the waveform display. On the plus side, it's got a builtin battery and charger charger, the USB plug can be used for power and sending data to your computer, and it has a proper signal generator. One really nifty feature is an FFT mode, that display the fourier transform of the input signal.

I think the best buy right now is the DSO062 ( www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e062KC.php ). This is an older version of the DSO068, and has been discontinued. So you can find it for only about $10 more than the DSO138. Similar design, not quite as many features - most notably no signal generator, no usb, and no battery charger - and not quite as accurate.

But what I wound up buying was the DSO112A, because I found it at Amazon for the cost of the DSO068 ( www.amazon.com/DSO-Coral-112A-DSO112A-Te...8-2&keywords=dso112A ). This has most of the features of the DSO068, only missing FFT mode as far as I can tell. But it's also got more, like a color touch screen so you get to tap setting to change them, and slide the display around to adjust positions instead of mucking with +/- buttons or a knob. It's also got a collection of presets to make your life easier. Finally, it's not a kit - it comes assembled and ready to go - almost. You have to connect the battery. Mine should be here in a couple of days.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
22 Jun 2016 23:41 - 22 Jun 2016 23:44 #50961 by HappyHarry
yeah jye do some nice stuff, and that's a nice find for that price for sure, I'm really considering purchasing the FG085 signal generator as the one I built from banggood >> signal generator kit doesn't have a case (though I could model and 3d print one) and requires a seperate +/-12V and 5v psu that also is caseless.

I also built jye's dc-dc buck regulator for the scope, it's really handy in that I can power the scope with a 1s lipo or via usb or a usb power bank, though doesn't fit inside the case either lol
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 23:44 by HappyHarry.

More
23 Jun 2016 06:53 #50971 by mwm
And here I'm thinking about building a simple mcu-based signal generator from scratch for testing the DSO112A out. A simple 50% duty cycle square wave is easy to test, and would be adequate for testing the accuracy of the scope.

More
23 Jun 2016 14:03 #50990 by HappyHarry
heh my electronics and coding skill is nowhere near good enough to do that, i can solder and follow a schematic though :D

More
23 Jun 2016 18:15 #51001 by mwm
Did the signal generator last night, but I'm still waiting on the DSO. I repurposed my arduino based servo tester. It's almost identical to many peoples second or third arduino sketch, the one were you use a potentiometer to control an LED's brightness. Same hardware, except you don't hook up an LED but a probe to carry the signal. And instead of using PWM output, you use digital output to flip the bit on and off.

Unfortunately, the arduino hardware abstraction layer has way to much overhead, so the duty cycle varies between 48% and 52%, even after reducing the inner loop to
for (;;) {
      state ^= 0x01 ;	// Toggle state
      digitalWrite(OUTPIN, state) ;
      delayMicroseconds(delay) ;
  }

I'm either going to retarget it to an STM32 dev board or the native Atmel HAL.

More
04 Jul 2016 03:25 #51284 by mwm
I realized I was using the wrong tool for the signal generator, and fell into a rathole working on it. It's a sucky signal generator, but what you can do with one of these STM32F4 discovery cards is cool.

Anyway, I posted a review of the DSO 112A at rc.mired.org/2016/07/reviewing-dso112a-coral-mini.html , the video of it in use on the signal generator at
, and the source code for the signal generator at chiselapp.com/user/mwm/repository/Generator .

More
30 Jul 2016 14:03 #52293 by mwm
Those of you who are interested in such might be interested in this:
www.banggood.com/Orignal-JYE-Tech-15002K...rsion-p-1070718.html

This is a pre-release of the upgraded version of the DSO138. They claim it has a case, but I don't see it illustrated. I've asked their tech support about that.

More
21 Sep 2016 22:53 #54117 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic another breadboard scope
This one isn't DIY, but unlike all the others has two channels as well as a collection of logic inputs. It's designed specifically for breadboard use: you plug it into a breadboard and use jumpers to wire in the inputs.

Best price I've found on it is at Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWZS8IW/ref...09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More
22 Sep 2016 00:39 #54120 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic another breadboard scope
that looks like a nice piece of kit for the money! I may pick one up for winter tinkering in the cave

More
25 Apr 2017 22:09 #61779 by pythagoras
Replied by pythagoras on topic diy scope kit: screen went white suddenly
I built the DSO 138 Digital Oscilloscope Kit, which I believe is the same as the JYE Tech DIY Scope Kit. It was a very nice project, and it all worked flawlessly. It was working very well until 2 days ago; I even tried it with a new signal generator (sine, triangle, and square waveforms) that I just finished building.
Suddenly, today the screen went white. On power-up, the LED flashes twice which is indicative that the main circuit is working fine. I also checked all the voltage references in the accompanying leaflet from JYE Tech, and they are all fine. But the screen just lights all white.
I have tried voltages from 9V to 12V, with the same result.
Has anyone had a similar problem? Has anyone an idea of what's going on?

More
26 Apr 2017 18:04 #61804 by mwm
I went to check their forums, and it seems like JYEtech may have problems.

If you've got a licensed version, their forum support for troubleshooting isn't to bad. if you've got a knockoff, they quite understandably aren't interested in helping you. They will help you figure out which you've got, though.

More
26 Apr 2017 18:53 #61808 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic JYE Tech diy scope kit
I have similar problems with mine.
I've got it from Banggood when it was discounted because of their 10th birthday, and it worked fine for a while. (It has the transparent housing too.)
After successfully building it, I was playing with it for a fw days, then put it aside. Two months later when I tried to use it, the display doesn't show anything.

As far as I can tell it is some kind of contact error in the display panel itself, because on the connector all values seem right, but I couldn't check from the ribbon to the display...
Sometime I could start it when pushed the display model here and there.
I've bought an other diplay module for almost as much as the whole scope was, but I still note replaced it, because the module came without the connectors, and I still haven't bought the proper connector for it.

More
04 May 2017 00:30 #61974 by pythagoras
Replied by pythagoras on topic JYE Tech diy scope kit
Thanks FDR for your reply.

I have changed power supplies, and varied voltage from 9 to 12 volts in various steps.
I disconnected the display module and checked all the soldered pins. All looked fine, but anyway I passed the soldering iron again over those pins that looked as though they might needed it.

I checked all the reference voltages mentioned in the troubleshooting guide: they were all on the spot.
I then went into test Mode: the LED never flashed rapidly, so it seems that I have no open contacts and no shorts. Voltages, again, all seem fine. Also the alternating voltages generated in Test Mode were shown correctly in my multimeter.

When connecting the display module back in the result was exactly the same: a white screen. I have therefore concluded that my display went faulty after a little use. I will write to Banggood to see if they can provide me with another one.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds