F12E Multi Module

More
13 Sep 2016 11:30 #53835 by AdsSharp
F12E Multi Module was created by AdsSharp
Hi All,

I'm new to modding Devos so please let me know if this has already been covered.

I've been looking at the various posts/tutorials regarding installing modules, and the multi-module is mentioned repeatedly. Can a multi-module be installed in the F12E? Or is there a better way of installing both the NRF24L01 and CC2500 modules into an F12E?

And once these are installed, is the correct module selected when picking the protocol your module uses? Or is there another step (doesn't seem to be mentioned in the guide)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 13:55 #53837 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic F12E Multi Module
If you can install extra modules in the Tx, you can install an MM. It uses the same connections as any other RF modules, just different software. The real question is whether or not the thing will fit.

And selecting the proper protocol in the model is all you need to do.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
14 Sep 2016 05:38 #53854 by AdsSharp
Replied by AdsSharp on topic F12E Multi Module
Excellent, thanks mate. I'll build the module and see if it'll fit. I'll post a guide for anyone that's interested too

More
16 Nov 2016 21:30 #55972 by Bonemyster
Replied by Bonemyster on topic F12E Multi Module
Hey guys i hope this is the right place to post this, so i want to add this 3 in 1 module from banggood to the f12e www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24L01-A7105-M...04.html?rmmds=search . My problem is i need 3 pins for modules but only see TMS and TCK. Are there any other unused pins on the devo f12e i can put my 3rd module on. If so a picture of where it is located would be very helpful. Ive looked around a lot and cant find unused pins for this anywhere on the web.

More
04 Dec 2016 10:12 #56506 by Bonemyster
So I tried B3 on the arm chip for the 4th module and the devo couldn't load any model files that had been save and it would clear the model file after being turned off, so pin B3 on the F12E is used unlike in the devo 8. Going to do trial and error till i find an unused pin since this thread is useless at the moment and the STM32F103 Pin Alignment For Deviation is also useless for the f12e because it is basically empty for the f12e. I guess since the devo f12e costs so much it isn't that popular like the 7e and 10 and there is not much info on adding modules.

More
06 Dec 2016 03:50 #56569 by M8A4X
Replied by M8A4X on topic F12E Multi Module
Hi!

I have recently installed two of this banggood 4in1 modules in a Devo F12E and a Devo 12s.

In the Devo F12E I used the B3 pin of the MCU and enabled it accordingly in the "devo.fs" file.
Maybe you doublecheck if you attached the enable line of one module chip to the correct MCU pin (and obviously no solder bridges at the MCU pins).
Keep in mind that the Devo F12E uses the STM32F103 MCU in the LQFP100 package size. Pin B3 is located slightly different to the LQFP64 package. Also please use something like notepad++ to edit the devo.fs file. The number of characters in a line has to be exactely the same as before. This means, any character (especially removing the uncomment characters ;;) which is deleted, has to be replaced by a blank space.
Also, e.g. "A13" has to be replaced by "B3_" (_ representing a blank space, do not place an underline there).

Both transmitters with this modules work. Well at least as far as I can tell (I have currently no receivers/models available which use all the included chipsets).
However I do not get any error messages when enabeling all modules, and I can create (and save) models with the corresponding protocols which use these different chipsets.

Maybe this is of any help for you.

Best regards
Max

More
06 Dec 2016 04:46 #56571 by banner-1300
Replied by banner-1300 on topic F12E Multi Module
I had already figured this out, after some testing i figured that it needed to be a tenth digit number so i used B10 on the arm chip and i had no problems after. Was able to save models and do everything else

More
06 Dec 2016 08:38 - 06 Dec 2016 08:40 #56575 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic F12E Multi Module
With Devo8s I haven't any blank space after B3, all work fine.

enable-nrf24l01 = B3
has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1

What text editor do you use?
Last edit: 06 Dec 2016 08:40 by vlad_vy.

More
06 Dec 2016 10:02 #56581 by banner-1300
notepad++ This is just a problem with the devo f12e, since deviation is usable on it but there are some bugs and if you dont put a 10 digit number or use a space after B3 then the devo f12e will be full of bugs, not letting you save your model files and resetting after turning off and on. B10 worked like a charm for me, just took me a bit to find it since the pins are so small.

More
07 Dec 2016 04:44 #56613 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic F12E Multi Module
So you're saying that B3 with a space after or B03 work, but B3 end of line doesn't? Is it only for F12E?

More
07 Dec 2016 10:41 #56619 by M8A4X
Hi,

at least for me only the "B3 " with an additional blank space after it worked on the Devo F12E.
I did not try the variant "B03".

If the blank space was not there the Devo F12E would boot and only show "Model 1" in the upper left screen area. I did not try to use the Devo in that state so I don't know if it would have worked.

On the Devo 12S I was already aware or the blank space issue and put one after "B3 " in the first try without knowing if it is necessary. That worked straight away.

More
07 Dec 2016 10:56 #56620 by banner-1300
I used the devo f12e when not inputting the blank space and it would boot to only model 1, wouldnt let you save, all the trims wouldnt show on screen, couldnt even find new models, and would reset model1 the moment you turned it off and on. Its a weird glitch. I imagine its like that because of the limited memory the f12e has. B10 works also and you dont have to put a blank space after because it meats the standards already. Make sure to keep everything with the same number of characters as before you mod the file including spaces for erased semicolens like the previous guy said.

More
07 Dec 2016 20:23 #56627 by victzh
Let me ask you, what file did you edit?

More
07 Dec 2016 21:23 - 07 Dec 2016 21:24 #56631 by M8A4X
Hi victzh,

well, long time ago when I had created my models on the Devo F12E i took a copy of the "devo.fs" file which is present on the Devo F12E. After installing the 4in1 multimodule and flashing the latest (at that time) deviation nightly build v5.0.0-f9f36d5 I deleted the "devo.fs" file which was present on the TX after flashing the nightly build.
Afterwards I altered my old copy of the devo.fs file and fitted it according to my installation of the multimodule (MCU pins according to my soldering). Then I deleted the "devo.fs" on the TX and immediately copied the "old and fitted" devo.fs from my PC to the TX.

Every model I had configurated on the Devo F12E before works now and also new created models (which only exist in my mind ;) ) which use the newly added modules load without any error message (e.g. "module A7105 missing" when I only had the CC2500 module installed and just "activated" out of curiosity e.g. the A7105 module in the devo.fs file, "connected" to an unused MCU pin but the module physically not present).

Is there any "master devo.fs" which should be used for this actions?
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 21:24 by M8A4X.

More
07 Dec 2016 21:40 #56635 by victzh
devo.fs is an image of very small file system. When there are only 64KB SPI flash on a TX, as in case of F series, we can't use regular file system with its 4KB pages - there are only 16 pages and we need at least a page per file in the traditional FAT FS. So PhracturedBlue devised special filesystem, DevoFS, which serves these cases. Windows, Mac, and Linux don't understand this system, so to be able to operate it on your computer it looks as a single file which you can make with some scripts on your computer and then rewrite onto your Devo.

So you should NOT edit devo.fs directly, you should edit files you need to place there and then run script. "Master" devo.fs is such file made during build process, it contains couple of protocols and 10 models. You can unpack it, replace protocols, edit models, and then repack it back.

More
08 Dec 2016 07:08 #56652 by M8A4X
Hi,

thank you very much for the explanation!
I was not aware of that.

Is there a how-to or a thread regarding this "creating" a devo.fs file?

More
08 Dec 2016 20:49 #56684 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic F12E Multi Module
at the bottom of PB's post here >> www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...o-f4?start=140#45888 there is a link to the tool to use and how to extract and rebuild the devo.fs

More
04 Jan 2017 05:57 #57527 by Bonemyster
Hey guys after installing deviation on the devo f12e the fpv always freezes when i get to the right channel and the controller stays frozen till I turn it off and on, i tried reporting the bug but apparently the website for resporting bugs does not let me log in. I have tested 3 different devo f12e that had deviation installed and they all froze the moment i connected it to the channel my fpv transmitter was broadcasting. Check your devo f12e fpv because im sure if mines are having the problem, then everyone elses is to. Sorry to be so off topic but this forum has gotten more hype lately.

More
04 Jan 2017 22:58 #57540 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic F12E Multi Module
i'm afraid that the f12e support in deviation is at a very early stage of development, there is also a known existing integration issue regarding the bugtracker and it's use of the forum username/password database, these issues will most likely only be fixed when PhracturedBlue returns from his hiatus. though perhaps one of the other devs may have an f12e and may be able to look into the problem for you, but i'm not sure if any of them have one :/

More
05 Jan 2017 04:12 #57545 by victzh
I have one - was able to buy cheap semi-broken one.

I will try to figure out what's going on by comparing with stock firmware.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds