Module replacement in 7E

More
27 Sep 2016 19:20 #54342 by Epitaph
Module replacement in 7E was created by Epitaph
Hi!!

Quick question going to turn into a long elaboration... those that just want the question need only go to the end!!

I've always liked the 7E because it is very adaptable, great size, works really smoothly, and although the programming in Deviation is a little more complicated, it¡s very capable and has a great following for help when needed here on the forums. I was thinking about adding the CC2500 module because I do like the FrSky protocol as it is a very sturdy and capable protocol, but my 7E already has 2 added modules and an Arduino in it, so not much space, especially for clean RF transmission. I like a nice clean external look to my stuff, not too keep on this bolted on here, and that stuck on there... if it doesn't look right, I'm not too interested in it. For this reason I have not pulled the trigger on a CC2500 module. So, I was considering getting myself a second 7E and having it as like a "mini-quasi-Taranis" as in just for FrSky, and I would like it as RF clean as possible with the antennas... so... question...

Can the original RF module of the 7E be totally removed and replaced with a CC2500 module, leaving this as the only module in there without any problems? Or does it give problems without the original module present (seeing as we don't have to specify where it is in the hardware.ini file)? Is the FrSky protocol really "ready" to be used fully on Deviation?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2016 03:38 #54349 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Module replacement in 7E

Epitaph wrote: Can the original RF module of the 7E be totally removed and replaced with a CC2500 module, leaving this as the only module in there without any problems? Or does it give problems without the original module present (seeing as we don't have to specify where it is in the hardware.ini file)? Is the FrSky protocol really "ready" to be used fully on Deviation?

Hi, absolutely it can, I ran my D10 like this for a while (but dont anymore cause I got some more DSMx receivers I wanted to use)... You will have a warning dialog box at startup (EVERY time) but you can clear it with any button press. Note you will run into one issue and that is: you have to turn the tx off with it on a model file that DOESNT use the missing CYRF (devo) module, reason being if it starts up in a model that needs the Devo module it'll be stuck and you'll have to go back to USB mode and go into TX.ini and change the model file to another one. Good thing it's hard to accidentally / unknowingly set it to the wrong model before power-down though so not a big issue at all.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
28 Sep 2016 08:15 #54357 by bianchifan
Replied by bianchifan on topic Module replacement in 7E

Epitaph wrote: Can the original RF module of the 7E be totally removed and replaced with a CC2500 module, leaving this as the only module in there without any problems?

No.
BUt it seems to depend on the firmware.
With Deviation V4.n -> no way, the stock module is mandatory (for 7e)
With Deviation V5 current nitely maybe possible, in my device all "missing"-messages can be clicked away.
With the "Ultimate-Upgrade" no way at this moment - only a circling missing module :(
Devo7e - Missing modules (Deviation 5.0 silp)

More
28 Sep 2016 08:34 - 28 Sep 2016 08:35 #54358 by Epitaph
Replied by Epitaph on topic Module replacement in 7E
Deviation flashes up a message showing a missing CYRF error because it looks for it at a specific place (can't remember offhand what address it is, I know it's a B something...). But what if on removing the CYRF module, one was to wire the CC2500 module into this same place, as in, instead of the usual TCK and such pads on the board, it was soldered to the one the CYRF module uses by definition... would it still look for it eventhough you are actively telling it in the hardware.ini that there's a different module at that address??

Also, what about this same idea, but on the 6S?

Reason is I want a nice clean transmitter with just the 1 antenna to help make it as clean as possible (both in appearance and RF), purely for miniquads and small slopesoarers. I wanted to keep it with just the FrSky protocol as this protocol offers some very nice solutions for miniquads like S-BUS, telemetry, great frequency range (it doesn't limit itself to "clusters" of the 5.8 band like DSMX does), has great signal penetration, has all the switches and stuff you would need for controlling these particular models, etc. and, being for miniquads, best a minitransmitter!! :D It's something that I feel very comfortable holding in my hands, it fits in a small backpack very well, and I even prefer the gimbals to those of the original Taranis!! So as far as that goes, it will always shut down on a model that doesn't depend on the CYRF module!!

What about leaving the CRYF module inside, connected so the transmitter is "happy" that it's there, but disabled in a way that it won't ever transmit or even have an antenna connected (apart from the obvious removing the antenna and letting it burn itself out)?
Last edit: 28 Sep 2016 08:35 by Epitaph.

More
28 Sep 2016 10:37 #54362 by Epitaph
Replied by Epitaph on topic Module replacement in 7E

bianchifan wrote: No.
BUt it seems to depend on the firmware.
With Deviation V4.n -> no way, the stock module is mandatory (for 7e)
With Deviation V5 current nitely maybe possible, in my device all "missing"-messages can be clicked away.
With the "Ultimate-Upgrade" no way at this moment - only a circling missing module :(
Devo7e - Missing modules (Deviation 5.0 silp)

On the photo on the thread I see you connected the module to the TMS point on the transmitter so it is using A13... have you tried connecting it to the pad that corresponds to B12, and then writing it up as such on the hardware.ini file? The thing is, is the error because there is no CYRF module on the transmitter and it needs it no matter what, or because it needs a module on B12 no matter what, and shows the error as being a missing CYRF module because that's the default one for B12? What I mean is, if you wired that module into B12, and the transmitter kept showing the error, it's because it "depends" on that module, but if you wired it in and stopped giving the error, then it "depends" on a module being present on that port.

More
29 Sep 2016 09:05 #54390 by bianchifan
Replied by bianchifan on topic Module replacement in 7E

Epitaph wrote: On the photo on the thread I see you connected the module to the TMS point on the transmitter so it is using A13... have you tried connecting it to the pad that corresponds to B12, and then writing it up as such on the hardware.ini file?

Thank you very much for your interest, yes, I tested this version too.
Maybe two times, I do not remember correctly.
For shure no more when I saw a regular screen with the n ightlies.

I tried to dig in the code but with no success, I have no skills in c++ and absolutely! no skills in RC/Walkera.
I'm able to compile the "non modulized" Devo7-256 stuff on Ubuntu with the same result of missing.
A " modulized" compilation runs into failures.
All that stuff seems to be hooked with hot needles.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds