Really poor range, Lemon RX, Devo 7e, DSMX

More
19 Oct 2016 19:41 #55167 by Lincoln
I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what's going on with my copter, so I'm hoping you can help.

Setup:
- Devo 7e w/ Deviation 5.0
- Range mod
- A7105 module
- NRF24L01 module
- Two additional 3-position switches

Receiver:
- Lemon RX diversity satellite LM0037

Finally got the receiver bound, Betaflight and DSMX protocol. Problem is, my range is horrid. Many times when I first power the copter up, it goes right into brownout mode where the led blinks slowly, which indicates a communication problem with the TX. It takes a few attempts before I get a solid light on the RX, which indicates a solid connection. Even when I do get a solid connection, it browns out within like 5 feet. The range is so poor it's unusable.

I've been reading through threads about Devo 7e power issues, but the threads are way over my head technically. I can solder and trouble shoot some stuff, but that's about it. Could the Devo 7e power issues be the reason my range is so poor? If so, is there a clear way to fit it? If all else fails I have a Flysky RX that I could use, but I love the form factor and simplicity of these Lemon RX units, so I would prefer to figure out how to use them successfully.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 01:35 #55178 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Really poor range, Lemon RX, Devo 7e, DSMX
Did you try it before you did the range mod?

More
20 Oct 2016 02:47 #55179 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Really poor range, Lemon RX, Devo 7e, DSMX
You probably did the HW range mod wrong OR your Lemon is not working OR maybe carbon frame blocking HF signal:
Zero range solved: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...m2-zero-range-solved
Intermitent reception drops Dsmx Lemon Sats: www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...smx-with-lemonrx-sat
Random blinking flashing Lemon Sat: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...-flashing-on-lemonrx
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc.../6464-hello-everyone

Can you try with genuine Spektrum receivers, with one where you also can make use of telemetry and check for Fades, FrameLosses and ground range?

Copter: Carbon frame?

Try one of the new 4-in-1 HF modules...

On Vlad`s custom 5.0 release DSMx build I could walk really far away even @100uw - already telemetry out of range - and still got a reliable TX signal for being able to move rudders.
Just like with 5.0.0 and 4.0.1-nightly-build-fcd0669 on Devo10.

In most threads I give the advise to re-test with Spektrum RX and telemetry. Most range issues / problem threads just talk about Lemons and Oranges....so you must exclude if its the fault of your RX.

BTW: There are new Spektrum Quad serial diversity satellite out with longer antennas.
SPM 4648: www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM4648
It probably does not support telemetry/FlightLog???

Thomas

More
20 Oct 2016 15:21 #55194 by ketsa
Replied by ketsa on topic Really poor range, Lemon RX, Devo 7e, DSMX
Most probably the range mod has gone wrong.

I'm using the absolute cheapest DSM receiver I found (<5$ redcon cm621) and am getting more range than I need to fly an LOS quad.
Never had a dropout but I stay under 100-150m. max.

More
20 Oct 2016 16:31 #55207 by Lincoln
Replied by Lincoln on topic Really poor range, Lemon RX, Devo 7e, DSMX
I did the range mod like a year ago and have flown a bunch of other quads since then with no problems. This is my first time using a Lemon RX satellite however.

More
20 Oct 2016 16:54 #55213 by Lincoln

Thomas.Heiss wrote: You probably did the HW range mod wrong OR your Lemon is not working OR maybe carbon frame blocking HF signal:
Zero range solved: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...m2-zero-range-solved
Intermitent reception drops Dsmx Lemon Sats: www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...smx-with-lemonrx-sat
Random blinking flashing Lemon Sat: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...-flashing-on-lemonrx
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc.../6464-hello-everyone

Can you try with genuine Spektrum receivers, with one where you also can make use of telemetry and check for Fades, FrameLosses and ground range?

Copter: Carbon frame?

Try one of the new 4-in-1 HF modules...

On Vlad`s custom 5.0 release DSMx build I could walk really far away even @100uw - already telemetry out of range - and still got a reliable TX signal for being able to move rudders.
Just like with 5.0.0 and 4.0.1-nightly-build-fcd0669 on Devo10.

In most threads I give the advise to re-test with Spektrum RX and telemetry. Most range issues / problem threads just talk about Lemons and Oranges....so you must exclude if its the fault of your RX.

BTW: There are new Spektrum Quad serial diversity satellite out with longer antennas.
SPM 4648: www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM4648
It probably does not support telemetry/FlightLog???

Thomas

Dang, thanks for the detailed answer! Looks like I'll open her back up and do some additional testing. I really want to get this to work properly, I don't have the funds for a Taranis at the moment. Thanks again for the help!

More
20 Oct 2016 22:54 #55235 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Really poor range, Lemon RX, Devo 7e, DSMX
Found some other threads (google site:deviationtx.com thomas.heiss 1mw range 60) about ground range testing and meters.
Almost “too funny“ the 1st thread is exactly about Lemon sat :)

Range problem with Devo10 and LemonRX: www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...and-lemonrx-dsmx-sat

Ground DSMx range test results:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=400#45377

Release 5.0.0 basic / quick ground tests 100uw/1mw:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=400#54108

More
22 Oct 2016 14:12 - 22 Oct 2016 14:13 #55274 by ahlod
Replied by ahlod on topic Really poor range, Lemon RX, Devo 7e, DSMX
I read quite a lot of these poor range lemon RX. I bought the lemonRx before but too bad I toast it using a 3s battery lol (stupid newbie mistake)

Anyway so I tried this Redcon satellite DSMXRedcon satellite instead because it's cheap and I'm impressed with the result. I'm using it with my 210 quad. no issues so far.

Last edit: 22 Oct 2016 14:13 by ahlod. Reason: video url paste is not working sorry :(

More
26 Oct 2016 02:02 #55386 by Lincoln

ketsa wrote: Most probably the range mod has gone wrong.

I'm using the absolute cheapest DSM receiver I found (<5$ redcon cm621) and am getting more range than I need to fly an LOS quad.
Never had a dropout but I stay under 100-150m. max.

I've tried one of those as well and I still got the weird slow blinking problem. What protocol are you using thats getting good results? So far I have the best luck with DSM2 @ 1024 resolution. I dont know why but for some reason different protocols seem to behave differently even on the same TX RX combo.

Honestly. I'm about at the end of my rope trying to get this to work. After hours of troubleshooting I am realizing maybe I should just buy a Taranis.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds