Which protocol?

More
02 Dec 2016 12:35 #56443 by Phoenixx
Which protocol? was created by Phoenixx
I'm trying to get my head around the different TX/RX protocols available. I'm looking at getting a Eachine QX90 and it comes with either DSM2, FrSky or FlySky receiver. I have a Devo 7e with the 4-in-1 mod (or at least I will when the 4-in-1 arrives) so I can use any of the protocols but which one is best? and are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the others? any guidance appreciated, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2016 13:07 #56445 by Alexandro
Replied by Alexandro on topic Which protocol?
Good Question,

I have a QX95 with Flysky RX.
On this little Quad all 3 Protocols are Ok. I think the Range does outperform the 25 mW Video TX Signal on all 3 !.
The 4 in 1 does have the Pa on the Cyr... , here are the Output Power is the same.
The RX on the QX are not Original RX , Frsky and Flysky does not send Telemetry on this QX.
I heared not many Problems with it who comes from the Protocols.

The RX use on Flysky ppm, on Frsky Serial sbus ( may be a little bit faster on response ,but it has only Brushed Motors), on DSM2 i think PPM to.
If you want to Tinker later with the RX on other Flyers ,then my Point is Frsky or Flysky. Most use Frsky with Taranis and Flysky with the FS Series TX, same on DSM2 with Spektrum Radios.
On DeviationTX its Your choice what Protocol you use. May be later a Sbus to PWM Converter and use normal Servos with it ?

btw.
Flysky uses the old Flsyky, Frsky uses D8 or D16 ?, and DSM2 is the old Protocol to . Here are no Things better on the single Version.

my 2 ct.

Alex

More
02 Dec 2016 14:08 - 02 Dec 2016 14:38 #56446 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Which protocol?
Frysky mostly D8.
I would pay attention to get one with a separate receiver,....if you do not care for 1 or 2 gr more weight.
The advantage is the telemetry you can have with midelicĀ“s F801& F802 firmware.
All DIY receivers are more or less based on his software.

Edit: An example for the QX 90/95
sites.google.com/a/042.ch/mikesthings/ho...-on-an-eachine-qx-95

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 14:38 by aMax.

More
02 Dec 2016 15:00 #56451 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Which protocol?
Another vote for FrSky.

In the black Friday sale I picked up one of the mini integrated receiver F3 FC's. I don't need telemetry for a micro used mostly indoors / in my arena when I fly FPV with an OSD so that didn't concern me at all. I choose FrSky for the RF protocol reliability, nothing else is as big of a point [to me] as the actual RF link (though it is plenty feature rich, beating nearly all other systems in every way)

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
02 Dec 2016 15:55 #56456 by Phoenixx
Replied by Phoenixx on topic Which protocol?
Thanks all. I'm not really bothered about telemetry as it will just be an indoor filer. I am looking at the Tarot 130 for next year and that has integrated buzzer for the battery so don't need it on that either. I'll try the frSky.

More
05 Jan 2017 21:38 #57563 by FrankV
Replied by FrankV on topic Which protocol?
Sure, these posts you always read too late :)
I do, anyway. Because I just received the QX95 with the build in frsky receiver. Thought it was better then DSM2, and I understood that the DSMX protocol is not fully compatible with this board.

But I'm a bit confused now too (also for future quads): what protocol of frsky does support the telemetry then?
I read that the QX95 should be bound with the D8 protocol. The protocol I selected in the Devo model setup is "frsky".
I did bind and works well, but no telemetry.

The F3 board shows that the voltage will be reported back (shown in Cleanflight).
But I dont see any data in the telemetry screen on my devo.

On this deviationtx page I see:
Frsky CC2500 Yes Yes Older Frsky protocol used by the V series RX's
Frsky-V8 CC2500 Yes No Newer Frsky protocol used by the D series RX's
Frsky-X CC2500 Yes Yes Newer Frsky protocol used by the X series RX's

What information is now correct? Or should it be:
Frsky CC2500 Yes No Older Frsky protocol used by the D series RX's
Frsky-V8 CC2500 Yes Yes Newer Frsky protocol used by the V series RX's

In the last case, the QX95 with Devo should be able to retreive telemetry data?

I'm getting a bit confused, so maybe someone is able to help me out? :O

More
06 Jan 2017 04:17 #57577 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Which protocol?
Which version of Deviation are you running? The nightly builds have full support for telemetry in Frsky (D8) and FrskyX (D16) protocols. The V protocol doesn't support telemetry.

If you're running the 5.0 release Frsky supports RSSI, Volt1, and Volt2 telemetry (with some buggy support for some hub telemetry values).

The transmitter also matters. The 7e and F series only support RSSI, Volt1, and Volt2 due to memory limitations.

More
09 Jan 2017 08:17 #57737 by FrankV
Hi hexfet, thanks for the time to answer it :)

I have a Devo10 /v5.0.0-0ad4374 So it should support the telemtry?
But doesnt show anything from my QX95 with FrSky RX installed. The Cinglish manual says to bind it as "Frsky D8 protocol", but due to the table I get confused.....

More
10 Jan 2017 00:43 #57764 by hexfet
No, that's an old version. Install something from Downloads|Nightly Builds
over there
<----.

More
10 Jan 2017 22:23 #57802 by FrankV

hexfet wrote: No, that's an old version. Install something from Downloads|Nightly Builds
over there
<----.

I gave it a try and installed the last nightly build, but still no telemetry..... all the fields stay black in the telemetry monitor unfortunatly. :(

More
10 Jan 2017 23:47 #57803 by hexfet
Searching the rcgroups thread indicates telemetry is not supported on the stock receiver. This site shows how to add telemetry.

More
11 Jan 2017 08:41 #57806 by FrankV
Thanks for the effort again :)
You did a nice research.

The F3 board shown on the site is an older board - with a seperate receiver. The boards supplied with this quad now, have an integrated receiver. So I suppose it is not possible to update the receiver.... I shouldn't know how anyway..... Just have to live with it I suppose :)

More
11 Jan 2017 16:30 #57829 by hexfet
From pics of the board looks like an Atmel processor driving the radio, but it would require one of those programmers that fits down over the chip to load new firmware. Strange they didn't include telemetry.

More
05 Feb 2017 13:58 #58773 by Ironlung
Replied by Ironlung on topic Which protocol?
did u get ur 4 in 1 mod in? i got mine but ordered 2 2 position switch's instead of 2 3position. so im gonna wait and put them in at the same time. not exactly certain how 2 install the mod

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds