Devo 10 and sbubs...

More
12 Dec 2016 09:54 #56746 by brylant
Devo 10 and sbubs... was created by brylant
First of all - hello from (surprisingly not so rainy) Ireland ;)

Now to the point - I'm new to the hobby (literally new - pretty much like a newborn who just took his first breath)...
I've been given (yep - Christmas) Devo 10 with 4-in-1 module installed and most recent deviation.
As my budget is rather limited (and I can't really afford learning on my own mistakes _every_ step of the way) - could somebody please recommend a tested/solid receiver that would do SBUS and work with my devo without any issues (and - preferably - legal in Europe)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2016 15:34 - 12 Dec 2016 15:35 #56753 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 10 and sbubs...
You could go for FLYSKY, AFHDS2A receiver such as the IA6B.
Or
Frsky receiver X4R , although officially you need to use the Frsky with LBT Firmware in Europe, Deviation use standard Frsky D series and Xseries protocol but not support the Frsky LBT Europe protocol. (But you can flash the receivers yourself)

If you not need telemetry there are more options, such Futaba FHSS protocol, or DSM(X) there are also Sbus receiver on the market.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2016 15:35 by Fernandez.

More
12 Dec 2016 19:06 #56762 by brylant
Replied by brylant on topic Devo 10 and sbubs...
Great, thanks. Looks like IA6B is what I'll go for. Just to double check - I can use it with my Devo and setup sbus (or i-bus) on fc side...?

Regarding frsky - are you saying I could get something like this: hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-x4r-4ch-2-4ghz...2015-eu-version.html and flash it to deviation supported protocol (legality in EU aside)?
Do you know why exactly is it illegal in EU (and how enforcable that ban is)?

Thanks,

More
13 Dec 2016 07:58 #56771 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 10 and sbubs...
There are 3 now Frsky protocols supported in Deviation. The old Frsky protocol no telemetry, the 8 channel D protocol and the 16 Channel X protocol.

Not supported in Deviation (yet):
The Frsky LBT firmware version for the X series Listen Before Talk (European ETSI compliant Firmware)
The Frsky Long range Protocol (non telemetry)

IA6B, works very well with flightcontroller and has good range, you can also get RSSI, and battery pack voltage alarm. (for pack volt you need to make small modification to the RX)

More
13 Dec 2016 09:19 #56772 by brylant
Replied by brylant on topic Devo 10 and sbubs...
OK, thanks.
Just one final question - you mentioned that LBT X series is not supported - does that mean that non-EU X series (a6 channel) is supported in Deviation now?

More
13 Dec 2016 20:03 - 13 Dec 2016 23:34 #56802 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Devo 10 and sbubs...
The X protocol is the same regardless of the number of channels you're actually sending so yes, any non-EU X series is G2G! You can probably only find EU but you can flash them back and forth, there's no HW differences.
Note one thing, most X series receiver users who need to flash updated FW to the receiver use Taranis, Taranis hooks to the receiver over a wired port on the back (the module bay, same wire as the s.Port pin). Since Devo doesn't do this our flashing method is a bit different, not difficult but not totally straight forward...
The easiest method is to buy an official frsky tool however a REAL FTDI adapter can do it too if you have one... Because frsky serial is inverter you must use a legit FTDI, you go to their site and download their Rs232 toolkit which allows you to invert the signal lines on the adapter, once you do that you can flash it with any serial terminal program you prefer, once your done you go back to the toolkit and un-invert your adapter so it works for other stuff again (it's a physical HW setting so the terminal app you use doesn't know any difference).
Please please know that the FTDI toolkit DOES NOT WORK WITH CLONES, it doesn't brick them like before but it doesn't work. Google will tell you how to confirm if you're not sure of yours

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 13 Dec 2016 23:34 by Cereal_Killer. Reason: Thanks whoever got that fixed!

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds