Shortcut to REINIT function ?

More
20 Dec 2016 01:03 #57024 by davecl9000
Shortcut to REINIT function ? was created by davecl9000
Hi guys,
To cut to the chase: I was wondering if there is a way to map a button or shortcut to the RE-INIT function in the model menu (on the devo 7e)? Please excuse me if this was already asked, I've searched the forums and came up short.

The reason I ask is that when flying the eachine E010 whoop (or any other toy quad), after landing and putting in a new battery, I have to either power off and on the radio or go into the menu system. I am starting to get really good at going through the menus now but putting a shortcut (like 2 presses) would probably be great. I am not keen on turning the devo on and off constantly. And yes, deviation has a nice feature of remembering the last menu selection position when going back into the menu, this makes it a lot more tolerable! :)

Anyway, I've been reading the forum for some time now (only registered today to start participating) and did everything I can to my devo 7e: 3-in-1 module, 2x3pos switches, diode/range mod, etc. So I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who was able to make this possible!!

Happy holidays!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2016 13:35 #57036 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Shortcut to REINIT function ?
You can use the Quickpage# assignments to get to a menu quickly from the main screen. These quickpage assignments take you to the menu pages directly by pressing one of the four R+/L-/Up+/DN- physical buttons on the control panel. So if I assign Model Setup to quickpage1, then when I'm at the main screen I press R+ and go directly to the Model Setup menu, then scroll to the Reinit or Bind button. You can also use the [gui - xxx] section at the end of the Model.ini file to set up to 4 "Quickpage#=" assignments.

It's not really direct to the Reinit button, but it gets to the Model Setup page quickly. it is also very handy to get to Telemetry or the Channel Monitor.

On my 6s (color touchscreen GUI) I add them in the Main Page Config menu and press the + before anything else. On my 7e I can add them at the very bottom of the Main Page Config menu.

Happy Holidays and welcome to Deviation!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!
Attachments:

More
20 Dec 2016 22:20 #57069 by davecl9000
Replied by davecl9000 on topic Shortcut to REINIT function ?
Thanks! I will try this tonight.

I am using L- to reset the timer (i think this is default).. will that conflict?

More
20 Dec 2016 22:48 #57071 by Deal57
Yes, I think it might conflict. Or both functions may work. I looked through the docs on this and it's not clear.

:S

So if you try it (as usual, I suggest testing in a controlled and prop-free environment), please let us know what you find. If I get time I'll try it too.

More
21 Dec 2016 04:27 #57076 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Shortcut to REINIT function ?

Deal57 wrote: These quickpage assignments take you to the menu pages directly by pressing one of the four R+/L-/Up+/DN-

Either you mistyped (maybe misremembered?) or I've got some bug reports to file... On literally every Devo I've ever handled quick page 1 is first hold of UP, 2nd quickpage is the 2nd hold of UP, 3rd QP is 1st hold of DN, 4th QP is 2nd hold of DN

Are all versions of FW I've ever tried on every different piece of HW I've ever ran messed up?!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
21 Dec 2016 07:48 - 21 Dec 2016 07:52 #57082 by davecl9000
Hi guys,

It turns out that I already have these settings set in my .ini:
quickpage1=Channel monitor
quickpage2=Mixer
quickpage3=Model setup
quickpage4=Model menu

I never knew how to get them to work so I never looked at it again. On the devo 7e, you can set them via model menu->main page config. You can customize what gets displayed here as well (i elected to display throttle %, 2 timers, and some other stuff as my standard config for all my models).

In addition, it turns on, at least on the 7e, that you do have to hold down the UP+ and DN- buttons to access the quickpages (i will abbreviate them as QP). Holding down UP+ will cycle through QP1, QP2, QP3, QP4, and back to the main page (where the throttle % and timers are displayed as i mentioned above). Holding down DN- does the opposite: QP4, QP3, QP2, QP1, main page. You can press the EXT button to jump directly back to the main page. Pretty neat! :D

For now, this works and I moved my model setup to the first QP. Thus holding down UP+ and then press ENT works well (as long as you selected RE-INIT before and don't move the cursor away!). This not as the most convenient but this actually has an unintentional side effect of added safety: you won't accidentally re-init the radio protocol by accident! Awesome!

I just checked and the documentation mentions the following:
"Quick Menus: Quick menus can be reached via a long UP/DN press. They can be defined from section 8.7 Main page config (Std & Adv GUI)."

I (or someone) can certainly update the documentation (mind you, this documentation is awesome and I read/write a lot of technical documentation for a living). In addition, the "section 8.7" should be section 9.7 ... minor typo :) !

By the way, I didn't need to plug in my quad to test any of this. This is purely a deviationTX UI test. :) But yes, safety first. Don't want to lose a finger to a quad.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2016 07:52 by davecl9000.

More
21 Dec 2016 07:55 #57084 by davecl9000
I forgot to mention: since it only involves the UP+ and DN- buttons AFAIK, the L- timer reset shortcut still works. :D

Long press of R+ on the main page does nothing from what I can tell. Long pressing R+ to do re-init would be ideal but could potentially be dangerous as mentioned above (granted it is a long press).

More
21 Dec 2016 10:18 #57089 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Shortcut to REINIT function ?
Yes indeed bit of annoing, to switch on off to bind.

I was wondering can we not have a permanent, "once and for all bind", or is this coded on the Rx side.
Maybe SilverXXX, could then build it?

More
21 Dec 2016 10:48 #57091 by davecl9000

Fernandez wrote: Yes indeed bit of annoing, to switch on off to bind.

I was wondering can we not have a permanent, "once and for all bind", or is this coded on the Rx side.
Maybe SilverXXX, could then build it?

This is a limitation of the protocol and it is a toy grade protocol afrerall. We're just trying to make it more hobby grade with deviation to save some cash...at least that's my case :-D

More
21 Dec 2016 12:45 #57094 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Shortcut to REINIT function ?
I can remember from my Walkera Super CP, you could bind permanently or you could have it auto bind at start, so two modes you could use one or the other.

If you see what SilverXXX, firmware can do with this toy, who knows maybe could have a permanent bind implemented.....

More
21 Dec 2016 14:11 - 21 Dec 2016 14:12 #57095 by Deal57
Mis-remembering seems to happen more often these days, :blush: so I went back to see what happened... The Devo 7e quickpage buttons are not the same as the Devo 6s quickpage buttons!

Devo 6s: R+ button press (long or short no difference) gets you QP1, and L- button gets you QP4. The Up+/Dn- buttons do not do anything (my models use a trim to reset timers), and it appears that we cannot do multiple presses to get to other QP pages... so QP2 and QP3 are not usable. (nightly deviation-devo6-v5.0.0-685f7e5). The emulator gives the same results.
Devo 7e: UP+ button long press gets you QP1, and long presses cycle through the others in order. DN- button long press gets you QP4 and cycles through them in reverse order. (test build deviation-devo7e-v5.0.0-a1d201f about 11/30). The L- button resets the timers.

I checked the Devo 10 emulator and it seems to match up with the Devo 7e.

It appears we have two issues. 1) need to map the quickpage keys correctly in Devo 6s (does this apply to Devo 8s and 12s?) OR 2) need to update Devo 6/8/12 manual. I think we might also be able to improve the quickpage descriptions in the manuals...I'll work on that.

Last edit: 21 Dec 2016 14:12 by Deal57. Reason: Add Devo 6s QP2/QP3 issue.

More
21 Dec 2016 14:50 #57098 by Deal57
I started to put together a bug report and did some digging: Looking at the history of this issue, PB raised it in this thread while working on the updated 5.0 color menus. The 8 used the R+/L- for quickpages because of the graphical interface, which by it's nature displays a whole page, unlike the text displays (7e/10/12e) that need to have the cursor positioned somewhere. I don't really understand the issue with using the UP+/DN- keys as this would be more consistent, but he decided to keep the R+/L- buttons. However there doesn't seem to be any differentiation between long/short press, and unlike the text GUI, multiple presses do not move through the other pages. For the developers, is this something that can easily be changed?

It's nice to see that he implemented the cursor position now in the color GUI, so for mixer channel or reinit we don't need to scroll. As stated earlier, it's both useful and cool!

The current color GUI implementation is still a problem for a couple of reasons:
  1. there doesn't seem to be any keypress that brings up QP2 or QP3,
  2. the menu in the GUI uses the term "Menu 1", "Menu 2", "Menu 3" and "Menu 4" instead of Quickpage, probably due to space limitations, and
  3. the manual defines UP+/DN- as the keys to use.

I'll add a bug report.

More
28 Apr 2017 13:09 #61830 by Morlacus
Replied by Morlacus on topic Shortcut to REINIT function ?
I agree
The quick menus work on my devo 8s for the #1 and #4 which are called by buttons R+ and L- by a normal press no long press.
No possibility to access #2 #3 by UP+ or DN-

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds