Devo 7e Move USB port to a new position

More
29 Dec 2016 01:03 #57313 by Phoenixx
Devo 7e Move USB port to a new position was created by Phoenixx
I want to move the USB port from the side to somewhere else, probably the top or top rear of the controller.
I play simulators quite a lot I'm using a cable from the DSC port but this is a bit jittery and USBHID is much better, but, as the USB cable plugs into the side it gets in the way of my hand and makes if difficult use.
I've bought a right angle USB cable but this will still stick out of the side a bit and I would rather it was somewhere else out of the way.
Can I just solder 5 wires to the pins of the existing USB connector and connect them to a second USB connector somewhere else? It seems like a simple solution but I'm not sure if there is anything I'm missing.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2016 03:07 #57314 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Devo 7e Move USB port to a new position
This is a common topic but have you seen the contact points for the USB port? How competent of a solderer are you?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
29 Dec 2016 12:43 #57321 by Phoenixx
Replied by Phoenixx on topic Devo 7e Move USB port to a new position
"This is a common topic" I thought it would be but I did a forum search but couldn't find anything!

My soldering skill aren't bad and I know the points are small so I'll check them with a multi-meter to make sure they are not bridged, just wanted to know if it's possible to do.

More
29 Dec 2016 15:06 - 29 Dec 2016 15:09 #57326 by Cereal_Killer
Yea the search function sucks, best bet is to go to Google and define "site:www.deviationtx.com" then add your terms there.

Here's one off page 1, most people inquire about it trying to repair the already broken USB port but same concept...
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...-devo-7e-usb-port-hs

How serious are you about simulator use? For under $15 you can build midelics FlySky wireless USB dongle
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...for-model-simulators

I have a slightly different wireless trainer setup, I have two devo's, one plugs into my computer and is the master, the "slave" connects to its wirelessly (the master has a Ppm receiver installed inside it and wired to the trainer port)

Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 15:09 by Cereal_Killer.

More
29 Dec 2016 16:12 #57329 by Phoenixx
Replied by Phoenixx on topic Devo 7e Move USB port to a new position
Thanks for the link.

The only problem with the wireless route is it runs your battery down quicker (I believe)

I play sims a lot, FPV Freerider and Liftoff mainly but just got Velocidrone and DRL.

More
29 Dec 2016 16:32 - 29 Dec 2016 16:35 #57330 by Cereal_Killer
On the lowest RF output a decrease in runtime is not noticeable and even if it was IMO it's WELL worth it for not having to deal with a wire! Even if it did effect batt life substantially and you have a 5 hour long sim session and it does die what's 45sec to swap batteries to play unrestricted?
IRL you don't have a USB cable limiting you when you're flying a model.

I hook the HDMI output from my laptop to my TV then hook up (via USB) the master Devo then use the student to fly from my couch wire free!

Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 16:35 by Cereal_Killer.

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds