Cars/trucks?

More
09 Feb 2017 14:50 #58991 by Chimera
Cars/trucks? was created by Chimera
This is going to be a stupid newbie question and I apologize - I'm new to quads and picked up a Devo7e to start with my Inductrix FPV. In my younger years I built a few Tamiya RC car kits and used stick transmitters (I don't like the wheel/trigger kind). I really like the idea of building another one now, something like a Tamiya M05 kit and I was wondering if it's possible (with the right receiver I assume) to use my Devo7e to control the car? From what I remember the receivers on RC cars have connections for a steering servo and ESC (or 2 servos with a mechanical ESC on some of my earliest builds). So, will the Devo7e with Deviation work with RC cars?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2017 14:57 #58993 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Cars/trucks?
Of course!
There are already some supported RTR cars from WL Toys, but you can use any supported receivers to drive a car.
I use an Orange R615X for mine...

More
11 Feb 2017 12:50 #59067 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Cars/trucks?
I've used an OrangeRX R610 (DSM2) in my vintage Tamiya Frog and my re-re Tamiya Hornet. Grab a cheap 6ch DSM2 for about $6 shipped from Orange, Lemon, or Redcon, and you are set. Unless you are in Europe where you "need" to use DSMX?

Main issue I have is that the throttle stick doesn't center like your old TX would, so you need to maybe introduce some deadband around midstick for forward/reverse, or setup a switching system where the throttle is only forward and maybe a little section for brake, then hit a switch to change to reverse. But depending on the ESC setup it can be a pain, and I haven't gotten it working nicely (though haven't used them in probably a few years)

More
11 Feb 2017 18:57 #59076 by Chimera
Replied by Chimera on topic Cars/trucks?
Thanks for the replies - I guess I thought it'd be more difficult than just buying a cheap receiver :) I'm glad you mentioned the non-centering stick because I never would've thought of that. Definitely going to be trying this in the near future, I can't wait to build a Tamiya kit again!

More
11 Feb 2017 19:59 #59079 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Cars/trucks?
I use my right (auto centering) stick only: elevator for forward and reverse throttle, and aileron for the steering...

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds