Setting buddy trainer box

More
27 Feb 2017 04:37 #59666 by magic_marty
Setting buddy trainer box was created by magic_marty
I did some searching but could't find any info on what i want to do...I am trying to set up a trainer connection from a Turnigy 9x to my 12s via the trainer cord..Reason is i fly different stick mode then the person on the other radio..So what i wanted to do is use the 9x for the master and slave my 12s so when he holds the trainer switch i will have control ..

I tried to set up my 12s with my 8s to learn how to do it and i can't get it to work between them ether..It would be nice if there is a step by step instruction tutorial on setting up trainer boxes...I tried changing the PPM in ect on both tx's and no joy if somebody could please explain how to set this up it would greatly help ..
Thanks all..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2017 05:01 #59667 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Setting buddy trainer box
I did it recently with my 6s and 7E, I'll see if I can track it down tonight. I know there was quite a bit of jumping through hoops, not very intuitive.

But if you are only connecting to the 9x with you as the trainee(?), it should just be a matter of setting PPM Out on the 12s?
The real headache bit is the getting the in working on the 8s. IIRC I had the PPM In set to "stick", then that created new inputs called "PPM1", "PPM2" etc., then I blended/replaced my controls with the incoming PPM.
I think. Maybe. Keep an eye on your Inputs monitor to see if anything shows up.

More
27 Feb 2017 05:22 #59668 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Setting buddy trainer box
Did you use the cord supplied with the Devo transmitters? it only has a 2 barrow end on it..And does both have to be powered on?

More
27 Feb 2017 05:32 #59669 by magic_marty
If i could just simply get his rx to bind to my 12s i could use mine as master but some reason it wont bind ..I have the 4n1 installed and comfirmed it works cause i fly a tiny whoop with frsky rx...

More
27 Feb 2017 06:04 #59670 by RoGuE_StreaK
I just used a stereo 3.5mm audio cable. It can be mono, but stereo is typically cheaper and more readily available.

I think with deviation it doesn't matter whether your tx is turned on before or after plugging in; on some other transmitters/firmwares this is detected and dictates whether it goes into master or slave mode.

When you do get it working, with a deviation TX as Master, a cool thing you can do is actually blend slave and master inputs, eg. with the slave dialed down to 50% control, rather than having exclusively master or slave in control. I'm not aware of any other TX that lets you do that. That means you can make subtle (or not so subtle) corrections to your trainee's flightline without wresting control from them.

So who's trainer and who's the trainee? You want the trainer to have the switch control to fully override the trainee in an emergency.
[EDIT] Oh, from re-reading I'm thinking he's the trainee but it has to be the other way around, with him throwing control to you, as his is the only TX that will (currently) bind?

More
27 Feb 2017 06:24 #59671 by magic_marty
Yes and his tx is on stick mode 1 and i fly on mode 3 so that rules out passing the tx back n forth plus it is much faster to use a switch...I tried again with my 12s and 8s and i can't get it to work when i flip the trainer switch on the 12s as master the controls stop working on the spare rx i have hooked to it so i assume it is waiting for a signal to come in thru the dsc port? It seems everything i have tried i would have got it to work by now..

More
27 Feb 2017 06:43 #59672 by RoGuE_StreaK
Are you using the Advanced gui? If not, I've got no clue.
If so, I've still got no clue! ; )
Actually, just try not assigning the switch, and see if you see the inputs in the input monitor. If so, in each channel set it up like you would for dual rates, but replace the input depending on switch position. Just try it on one channel first to see if anything works.

More
27 Feb 2017 06:46 #59673 by magic_marty
Should i set the protocol on the slave tx to PPM or perhaps to none?

More
27 Feb 2017 09:54 #59676 by RoGuE_StreaK
Pretty sure slave protocol should be PPM; my 7E is still using stock firmware, so didn't set that part up using deviation.

OK, just looking at the model I made, had PPM In set to "extend", with 6 channels under the PPM config. Then in each channel used a combo of Switch and SRC to determine which input was used to control the channel, or a blend thereof.

More
27 Feb 2017 22:40 #59700 by magic_marty
I don't understand why this is so complicated seems it should be set master to ppm in and slave to ppm out and plug in cable and it works ...thanks for info I will give it another try tonight

More
28 Feb 2017 08:08 #59703 by magic_marty
Tried again and still can't figure it out i set the ch to src PPM with TR1 switch ect and no luck...I give up maybe somebody else will chime in and try to help figure this out i read about it being done but had no idea it was so retardly complicated to set up...

More
28 Feb 2017 12:53 - 28 Feb 2017 13:01 #59706 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Setting buddy trainer box
Just set up a quick test rig.(my first buddy box...)

Devo7e > Master > mode 2(AETR)> Protocol=DSMX > PPM IN set to channel or stick. ( output on the receiver=TAER, Deviation will convert it for you)
Be aware you set the trainer switch with no Slave connected, otherwise you will have a "!" in front, the switch will not work
and you will get no stick input from the Master.
Mixing shall be done on the Master, otherwise see below....

Taranis QX7 > Slave > mode2 (AETR) > slave/ppm out.
Worked exact as the model was set up (2 aileron servos from X7 mixer) <<<Slave should have no mixing.

I did not test different stick modes, this should have no influence on the PPM stream, but if it does, swap channels on the Master
at PPM IN section Channel.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 13:01 by aMax.

More
28 Feb 2017 17:22 #59716 by magic_marty
Basically what i tried but not working...I set master 12s to stick i was using a spare 2801 rx selected the trainer switch in the stick sub menu then set the salve devo8s to protocol PPM mode stick did no mixing on slave but tried mixing on master and it does not work...I am starting to think i have the only 2 radios on the planet that just won't do a buddy box...lol

More
28 Feb 2017 22:06 - 28 Feb 2017 22:09 #59732 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Setting buddy trainer box
Slave...Devo8s just to PPM as protocol.

PPM IN to NONE !.
The slave does not receive any data from the master.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 22:09 by aMax.

More
28 Feb 2017 23:49 #59735 by magic_marty
Will give it another try tonight but pretty sure I already tried it that way but will double check..
Thanks

More
01 Mar 2017 04:56 #59737 by magic_marty
Ok so i tried it again the way you describe and at first it didn't work but after powering off both radios and back on it started working...So now i got to figure out how to get it to work with the Turnigy9x this weekend...But at least i have a better idea on how to set it up...Thanks for your help guys..

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds