Help sought binding Devo 10 to FrSky X8R

More
02 Apr 2017 13:25 #61064 by SW11
Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've done a good deal of scouring here, on rcgroups and on youtube and still can't find a solution.

After successfully installing Deviation 5.0.0 and the 4-in-1 RF module from banggood on my Devo 10, and successfully binding with and flying a number of different quads, I splashed out on a second-hand Nighthawk 280 with a FrSky X8R receiver. Perhaps I've bitten off more than I can chew, as I can't for the life of my get it bound.

The receiver is all set up and plugged in (the previous owner had it bound to his Taranis). If I power on the quad, a red light flashes slowly on and off on the receiver. If I hold the Failsafe button down and then power it on, both a green and a red led light come on solid.

I've gone to an empty model slot, selected the FrSky protocol and hit 'Bind' - no noticeable result. I've done the same with the FrSky V8 option instead; I've deleted the '12345678' model ID to see if that made a difference; I've tried hitting 'Bind' and then powering on the quad; I've tried hitting 'Bind' then holding down the Failsafe button and then powering on the quad: no matter what, I can't seem to get a solid green light indicating a successful bind.

I'm pretty sure all the wiring in the Devo is good as it's worked perfectly so far. I've also read a lot and seen a lot of videos trying to help people through binding FrSky receivers with their intended transmitters, indicating that that is less than completely straightforward, so no wonder this is even more so.

I'll try to take and upload some pictures too in case that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (this is my first hobby grade quad, so I'm a bit out of my depth!)

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2017 14:07 #61069 by mwm
The native protocol in the x series Rx's is not FrSky, but FrSkyX. IIRC, it is not available in 5.0 (and I suspect you would have tried it if it were). You can either check the manual for your Rx and put it in D8 mode to use FrSky, or update to a version with newer protocols to get FrSkyX.

Of course, if you've got the European version, it's a different protocol and I don't know if we've got support for it yet and there is no d protocol on the rx.

Also, these are cc2500 protocols, and those need to be tuned. See the wiki entry on the cc2500 for instructions.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
02 Apr 2017 15:44 #61078 by M8A4X
Replied by M8A4X on topic Help sought binding Devo 10 to FrSky X8R
Do exactly like mwm suggested, just an added information about EU FrskyX protocol:

If you install the latest nightly deviation firmware 5.0.0 you get the the FrskyX protocol and in it the choice between FCC (America and elswhere) and EU version in the protocol page on the transmitter. After selecting the corresponding protocol to your X8R receiver firmware each protocol binds like you already stated.
This is followed by a "fine tune" to get a rock solid connection.

More
03 Apr 2017 18:31 #61133 by SW11
Replied by SW11 on topic Help sought binding Devo 10 to FrSky X8R
Thank you for your speedy help! I'll follow your advice to install the latest version of Deviaiton and go from there. Will report back with the results.

Time to create page: 0.029 seconds