For Devo 10; is a longer antenna better than stock

More
02 Apr 2017 15:31 #61076 by Mikewoodkozar
Ok so I have an extra antenna I had lying around its about 1.5 times the length of the stock Devo 10 antenna.

My question is; is simply a longer antenna better?

Or is this just smoke and mirrors... bigger is better?

Id like to do a range test but I really do not understand how. I've searched but links are dead so pardon me if it's been discussed.

I'd really like to know if this super antenna is worth it. I've heard some say that a certain size antenna is not legal? I don't know. Any information you might be able to share would be great.

I'm running a Devo 10 with deviation 5.0 and I also have a Devo 7e also running deviation.

Thanks for all the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2017 16:14 #61079 by robca
Short answer: no a longer antenna is not a better antenna. At 2.4GHz frequencies, the antenna has to be the right length for the wavelength to be transmitted (and there are a few configurations: half length, dipole, yagi, etc). A poorly designed/manufactured long antenna can actually be worse than the OEM one

A high quality antenna can have a higher gain than the OEM, and give you a bit better distance. But, in general, even with the OEM antenna the Devo 10 has more than enough power to fly anything well beyond line of sight

And, no, there is no such a thing as an illegal antenna for 2.4GHz. If you use a booster or increase TX power in other ways, you might be using the radio outside of the legal range, but in this case the type/size of the antenna is not an issue

More
02 Apr 2017 16:26 #61081 by Mikewoodkozar
Replied by Mikewoodkozar on topic For Devo 10; is a longer antenna better than stock
Thank you for the quick reply that was great!

Time to create page: 0.032 seconds