lost on virtual stuff

More
25 Apr 2017 11:40 #61761 by crash7X
lost on virtual stuff was created by crash7X
I'm starting to think that some things I'd like to try would be easier or even possible with virtual. Things. But I struggle to understand at all.

Examination of my model.ini files shows many use a line like

src=Virt1

but no other mention of Virt1. What sense can this make?

Two models have lines

src=Virt1

dest=Virt1

which makes more sense to my current understanding of virtual channels as a kind of scratchpad channel that would logically be sourced and destinated.

Am I missing something and/or should I focus my laser-like attention on the two models that seem, at a glance, to actually be doing something with virtual channels?

While we're at (dumb) questions, I see the value 193 in places that suggest it is a magic number. Sadly I recognize it as 0xC1, but can find no reference to it.

crash7X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:22 #61763 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic lost on virtual stuff
Those src/dest values are virtual channels - specifically virtual channel 1. It's the first channel after the physical channels in the mixer.

Post the entire model file, and I (or someone else) will point out where it is.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:42 #61768 by crash7X
Replied by crash7X on topic lost on virtual stuff
Thank you.

model10.ini is typical to usage in many of my models I searched through, mentions only "src=Virt<n>"

model30.ini has src= and dest=. I cannot tell what the use of the virtual device is doing nor how.

I say "my" models, but I only mean the ones that have landed up on my TX (Devo 10), usually found here and tweezed carefully to suit my circumstances. I am dangerously incompetent doing.

I am happy to be pointed at any documentation! I'll keep looking, but so far I have only run across things that probably make perfect sense to someone who already understands.

crash7X
Attachments:

More
25 Apr 2017 21:58 #61778 by mwm
They appear to be leftover garbage in Model10.ini. The virtual channels they refer to aren't defined.

In Model20.ini, you can see two mixers [virtchan1] and [virtchan2]. Those are the sources for Virt1 and Virt2 respectively. They still don't make a lot of sense to me. Try looking at the channel monitor and seeing what they do. Maybe some kind of arming delay?

More
26 Apr 2017 14:18 #61801 by crash7X
Well never mind what it does where it is used logically as a source, where is any user input coming from? This section of model30.ini baffles me:

[virtchan1]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=Virt1 <--- source and
dest=Virt1 <--- destination?
switch=Virt1 <--- and?
scalar=0
usetrim=0
curvetype=min/max
points=0

if this is explicable, please explain it to me. Is Virt1 the name of some physical switch? I see this

[trim5]
src=Virt1
pos=TRIM_L+
neg=TRIM_L-
step=193
value=-100,0,0

but this would make more sense to call Virt1 the dest of the trim5 (switch?) And once more, 193 - magic number?

TIA

crash7X

More
26 Apr 2017 18:49 #61807 by mwm
Virt1 is the name of virtual channel 1. Any channel value can be used as a switch; if it's >0 (>=? I never can recall) it will be on, otherwise off.

The trim is the key. This is using the L+ and L- trim switch as a virtual switch whose value is going to show up on virtual channel 1. 193 is a magic number picking one of the three options for that.

See the manual entry on https://www.deviationtx.com/manuals/html-devo8/ch_advanced.html#using-a-trim-as-a-virtual-switchtrims as virtual switches for details.

More
29 Apr 2017 14:32 #61849 by crash7X
Thank you.

I have realized before, and now again after some experimental button pushing with the GUI, that no one creates models with a text editor.

I GUI-managed a simple virtual thing and examined the (text file) results. Weird stuff. I'll move on, or try, from my old-fashioned dear to understand the text file and just use the GUI, which takes (me) some patience and thinking, but at least I am getting it to work. Slowly.

I shall try to remember not to bother looking under the hood. Although re-arranging channels and stuff seems way easier with the model.ini. At least in that specific case common sense will let you get the work done. Haven't quite figured out how to do it in the GUI. :)

crash7X

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds