SUPPORTED MODELS

More
02 May 2017 22:37 #61947 by JEFraze
SUPPORTED MODELS was created by JEFraze
Hello I am new to this forum and the Devo 12s. I love this radio and all of its ability's.
I have seen the supported models list but I have been told that this list is not updated regularly.
Where Can I find a current updated list of supported models. I really enjoy getting those toy quads and flying them
with the 12s.
Thank you for any information that you can provide me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2017 01:18 #61950 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic SUPPORTED MODELS
You can't. DeviationTx supports protocols, not models.

For quality manufacturers, these are the same thing for all practical purposes. You can recognizes these manufacturers because they sell transmitters that speak a protocol, and models that don't use one of those protocols are the exception. A step down you'll find companies that don't sell transmitters, but list their models and receivers as being compatible with either a protocol, or possibly a transmitter sold by one of those other companies that uses a known protocol.

Once you get past that, you're out of luck. These companies sell RTF models, and maybe replacement transmitters for each model. Unless a transmitter is listed by them as working with that model, we have no way of knowing what protocol will work other than trial and error. Even if it does "work", it may not do so completely. When they create a new model, they'll start with an existing protocol and modify it - and the transmitter - to suit the model. Possibly in ways that are incompatible with the other models starting from the same protocol. We've even seen manufacturers change a protocol with a model update that didn't change the model number in any way. For these companies - which include the vast majority of models - the only way to know if they'll work is to try them. Since nobody has expressed any interest in maintaining a list of models known to work (or not), so there's no place to report the results of trying, so people mostly don't.

Bottom line - you ask in the forums and hope somebody else has tried it. If not, you buy it and try it or move on. If it doesn't work and you're feeling ambitious, you can find instructions on what needs to happen to get it's protocol supported, but there are no guarantees.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 May 2017 02:27 #61951 by JEFraze
Replied by JEFraze on topic SUPPORTED MODELS
Thanks for the reply
I was asking basically what you said just not in such a direct way.
Just wanting to know what others have found out that works with the toy grade models

I enjoy buying those $20 models off e-bay that come from places like China.
However I do have larger custom built quads/V-Tails/and planes that is the real reason I went to the Devo 12s.

More
03 May 2017 04:30 #61953 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic SUPPORTED MODELS

JEFraze wrote: Just wanting to know what others have found out that works with the toy grade models

As Mike said, a big issue is that the suppliers have been known to change designs, protocols, and even source manufacturers, in mid-run and still call it exactly the same thing. As an example, I know there's at least three versions of the Cheerson CX10; they have different coloured circuit boards, and each one of them uses a different protocol, which people eventually nutted out, but it took a lot of effort and frustration. There's nothing to stop them releasing yet another version next week, still in exactly the same body with exactly the same name.
So, you can't just say "supports Cheerson CX10", as there are the green, red and blue PCB versions, and I think I recall even there there was protocol variation.

More
03 May 2017 23:11 #61973 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic SUPPORTED MODELS
I do want to correct one thing I said. There is an official place that anyone can submit updates to. Since the "Supported models" page (link on the left) has moved into the wiki, anyone with a forum id can add modesl. I've added entries for everything that I've figured out works, but that's not much because I tend to stick with stand-alone Rx's or DSM models.

So if you've verified some model works, please add it to the list. Adding models known to not work isn't very productive, as that's subject to change as we add protocols. The exceptions are things one would expect to work, like the exceptions from hobby companies using their own protocol.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds