Devo RX1002 and RX1202 max voltage?

More
14 Sep 2017 15:27 #64405 by Noziroh
Devo RX1002 and RX1202 max voltage? was created by Noziroh
Hi

I have a Devo 12S with 2 receivers. RX1002 and RX1202. When I search the internet, I see they only take 4,8-6 volt. Thats really low.
Does anyone know if they can handle more then 6 volt?
Will they take a 2 or 3S LiPo without burning?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2017 18:22 #64410 by webbbn
Replied by webbbn on topic Devo RX1002 and RX1202 max voltage?
Almost certainly not. Those are voltage values are typical for a wide range of linear regulators, and they will certainly not tolerate 3S, and I wouldn't even push them with 2S. You're going to want to use a 5V BEC.

More
15 Sep 2017 11:36 #64426 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo RX1002 and RX1202 max voltage?
Recievers (and servos and similar devices) typically run at "logic" levels, and old hands (or pilots of crafts that don't have motors) will use a battery for that level. They don't see a lot of power either, so you don't need a big battery. I tend to use LiFe packs for that. But they aren't suitable for driving motors, where you typically want those 2s or bigger LiPos to feed to an ESC or motor driver.

There are three common solutions
  1. Use two batteries: a flight pack and an Rx pack. This is why FrSky Rx's have two ADCs.
  2. Use a BEC with your flight pack to reduce the voltage to Rx levels.
  3. Use an ESC or motor driver that can power the Rx, usually via a servo connection to the throttle output.

The last one had the fewest parts and is the most popular. For this, the battery plugs into your ESC(s), not the Rx.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
15 Sep 2017 11:42 #64427 by Noziroh
Replied by Noziroh on topic Devo RX1002 and RX1202 max voltage?
Im using the receiver in my tank. It is powered from a IBU3 module.
I just have 1 battery in my tank, that delivers power to the IBU3, wich then powers everything.
If I use a BEC for my receiver, will the signals to the IBU3 board then be the right voltage. Wont it expect the same voltage back as it is sending to the receiver?

More
16 Sep 2017 11:35 #64439 by mwm
I don't believe you need a BEC for this. The IBU3 should provide a 5-volt potential between the ground and power pins on each of the receiver input channels. If it doesn't, it won't work with the majority of hobby-grade receivers on the market. For most of those, just connecting the outputs to the appropriate inputs on the IBU3 will power the receiver properly. The Rx1002 apparently has a separate battery input, so you may need to do something odd like split a cable from the IBU3 with power & ground going the batt connector, and signal going to an output channel. Personally, I'd measure the voltage between power & ground on one of those connectors on the IBU3 to make sure it's only ~5 Volts, but I'm paranoid.

Fun looking circuit board, but it's a bit primitive from an RC perspective. PWM? Seriously? No serial protocol, or even CPPM so you can ditch most of the wiring? My current build happens to be on a tank platform, and is using bluetooth for now, but will be switching to SPI to talk to the receiver once the platform is mostly done.

More
16 Sep 2017 13:48 #64441 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo RX1002 and RX1202 max voltage?
I think you don't need to split the power, the RX can be powered from any of it's outputs, because the power lines are all connected together...

More
16 Sep 2017 18:56 #64443 by mwm

FDR wrote: I think you don't need to split the power, the RX can be powered from any of it's outputs, because the power lines are all connected together...

I do agree with this, but the rx1002 manual shows power connected to the battery input, and we are talking about a Walkera product, so they might have split them for some reason that we'll never understand.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds