Rudder channel sometimes moves with elevator stick

More
26 Feb 2018 07:35 #67778 by Parees
I've had a Devo 8s for 5 years now and recently I observed a problem where the rudder channel will sometimes move with elevator stick input. With this problem, I didn't want to take the risk of using the radio with any of my larger helicopters anymore so I decided to buy a used Devo 12s. But even the Devo 12s I received has the exact same issue of rudder drift with elevator stick input!! How can that be? Is this a common issue? I've tried searching if anyone else has reported such an issue but haven't found anything.

I tried unplugging the rudder pot from the circuit board and the issue still persists so it is not an issue with the rudder pot. The issue is seen with the stock walkera firmware and also the deviationtx firmware.

Here is a video of the problem. Observe the rudder channel (4th bar from left in the top row) move when elevator stick is moved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2018 07:42 #67779 by FDR
Does it behave the same with an other model?
Post your model.ini, please!

More
26 Feb 2018 08:00 #67780 by vlad_vy
model.ini doesn't help, since it's "Input monitor" without any mixing.

More
26 Feb 2018 08:05 #67781 by FDR
Sorry, I had better not make replies in the morning... :blush:

More
26 Feb 2018 08:15 #67784 by FDR
I think you need to open it up, and investigate the board for dust, or anything from the processor's legs till the pots' plugs.

More
26 Feb 2018 16:12 #67787 by Parees
Thanks I will try that. But isn't it odd that the exact same issue is seen on two units? One is a Devo 8s and the other is a Devo 12s. So I'm very doubtful that it is just dust causing the issue. I'm surprised how there are no other reports of such an issue.

More
26 Feb 2018 17:24 #67788 by FDR
It is strange indeed.
I tried, but neither of my transmitters behave like this, though they are on an older fw, but it wasn't fw specific, if it did it with the stock fw too...
BTW which stick mode do you use?

More
26 Feb 2018 18:25 #67789 by Parees
I use Mode 2. Throttle and Rudder on the left stick. Elevator and Aileron on the right stick.

More
27 Feb 2018 02:19 #67800 by gdenton
That is strange.
FWIW - I checked my 6S, 7E & 10 and none of them do that.

More
28 Feb 2018 08:21 - 28 Feb 2018 08:37 #67820 by Parees
I examined the board and traced the traces but didn't find anything odd. This if of course just eyeballing. I've not done any continuity testing or coupling tests since they are beyond my scope. I used an air canister to blow over the board to get rid of any dust but it hasn't helped.

I tried a workaround and I think it should work for me. I connected the rudder pot to the aux2 input on the board. So now my rudder stick controls aux2. On any helicopter/plane I setup, I will connect the aux2 output on the receiver to the gyro (or rudder servo). Let me know if anyone sees a hazard of doing this.

One strange thing I observed. If I create a model and on channel 4 (rudder) I assign the "src" as aux2, then on the model screen, channel 4 has no drift, but on the "input monitor" screen the rudder channel has the drift. This was not the case earlier before I connected the rudder pot to aux2 (rudder pot was connected to rudder input on the board). Earlier both screens showed channel 4/rudder output drifting. If someone can shed light on this please do. For now I will not trust the rudder/channel 4 output and just use aux2 instead.

Edit: After thinking about this I think I get it. It's the input that is drifting. So when the input was rudder the drift will be seen on channel 4 in the model screen. Now that I changed the input to be aux2, the drift will not be seen on the model screen channel 4.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2018 08:37 by Parees. Reason: Clarification

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds