Can Deviation Make Servos Do 180 Degrees Travel?

More
27 May 2018 10:50 - 01 Jun 2018 02:55 #69434 by Gecko
Hey all,
This is my first post here and while I am OK with a soldering iron I am kinda hopeless at wrapping my brain around electronics in general, so I ask for your forgiveness for that:-).

Thing is, I have an old Devo 6S lying around which I just installed Deviation 5 on.
I intend to use the TX for an RC yacht with a servo for a sail control. To make this work the most efficiently it is standard practice to set the servo up for a full 180 degrees of travel. In previous boats, I have had a Hitec programmed to do that and recently, I tried the age old resistor mod on a non-programmable servo to achieve the same. But maybe there is an easier way? (I don't want to spend money on an Hitec for this next cheap project).
Now, I understand that most servos can do 180 degrees if you send them a wide enough PMW signal but that most "traditional" TXs can actually only send a narrower PMW signal resulting in anywhere from 90ish to 140ish degrees of travel. My question is whether there is a setting in Deviation that can help alleviate that issue, I guess by widening the PMW signal? Or will it be reduced by the RX again?

If it matters, I also have a 4-in-1 module on the way, so should have all major protocols available and since I will be buying a new RX for the next boat anyways, I can go with any of these protocols. Perhaps one of the protocols will be better suited for this 180 "mod"?

Also, just in case any of you have any thoughts on another issue, I would love to hear them: Are any of the protocols better suited for boats than others? I mean transmitting horizontally over water with about 10-20 other radio systems just next to you? Longest range, strongest signal kinda thing.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 02:55 by Gecko.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2018 16:05 - 29 May 2018 16:06 #69463 by Gecko
Surely someone here must know this?:-)
And if it is not yet possible could it be made so in a new build?
Last edit: 29 May 2018 16:06 by Gecko.

More
29 May 2018 17:38 #69464 by Fernandez
certainly it is the servo to make the 180 degrees, deviation can control fully the RX output range and sent it to the servo. You can adjust endpoints to your liking.

More
30 May 2018 11:08 - 30 May 2018 11:09 #69474 by Gecko
A lot of servos can mechanically do 180 degrees but most TX can not send a wide enough PWM signal to get that travel - not even with the end stops fully maxed out. E.g. my JRPROPO XG6 with 150% travel adjustments can not do it. Hence why e.g. Hitec has programmable servos that somehow reprogram the chip inside the servo.

I guess I am asking if Deviation can expand end stops even more than most other TXs? Can it somehow get the full 500-2500 signal width that seems to be required for the majority of servos to go 180 degrees?
Last edit: 30 May 2018 11:09 by Gecko.

More
30 May 2018 11:26 #69475 by FDR
It also depends on the protocol itself. The pulse widths correspond to some digital numbers, and if it has a limitation, you can't do anything on the TX side...

Try to use the scale values on the channel setup page, and also increase the limit values too, because they are independent in deviation.

FDR

More
30 May 2018 12:48 - 30 May 2018 12:53 #69478 by Gecko
Thanks so much.
I just spent quite a bit of time fiddling with the 'scale' and 'limit' settings. I took a bit of time to understand it but I maxed them out eventually and got quite a bit of extra travel - as expected - but still not the full 180 degrees. I probably got to 140ish, up from 90 degrees. (I actually think that's about what I could have gotten on the JRPROPO gear, too).

I am fairly sure this servo needs 500-2500us (or whatever the unit is called) of PWM signal to get to 180 degrees, so I think this may be proof that my hardware can not do that in its current setup. I am running the stock Devo protocol and an RX601 Devo RX.
But this leads to the next question, is any of the other protocols capable of doing this? The reason I am asking is that I do not mind at all putting in a 4-in-1 module (was close to buying it the other day) and a new RX for a different protocol as I would need more RXs anyways.

The alternative is doing the resitor mod to the servo's potentiometer which I already did on one of my servos but it would be much better if I didn't have to.
Last edit: 30 May 2018 12:53 by Gecko.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds