Development post 5.0

More
07 May 2016 15:41 #47962 by PhracturedBlue
Development post 5.0 was created by PhracturedBlue
I have started work on changes that will never be part of the 5.0.xx code. This means that nightlies may be unstable for a while. As such, I recommend care when switching to the nightlies.

I have just rewritten the button handler code in order to simplify things and to add support for the 4-button mode on the radiolink AT9. In theory it should work the same as the original code, and I've tested everything I could think of, but if you find issues please let me know. This change also frees up a little space on the devo7e so we have a small amount of breathing room. More to come

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2016 16:00 - 07 May 2016 16:01 #47964 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Development post 5.0
Also, I am considering using the Devo10 menu system for the Devo6/8/12. The current system is not very intuitive, and is annoying to move through when only using buttons. The change would effectively be:
ENT would enter the menu
the menu would look like the Devo10 menu:
1st page: select between System and Model menu
2nd page: select specific page to display (mixer, mocdel settings, timer, etc)
3rd page: the actual configuration (unchanged from how it is now)

I think having a more consistent interface for Deviation is a good thing, and doing this would allow me to better support color displays without touch support (like the Radiolink transmitters)

Any comments?
Last edit: 07 May 2016 16:01 by PhracturedBlue.

More
07 May 2016 17:51 #47982 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Development post 5.0
Would it be that way only when one uses the buttons to navigate?
I.e. will I be able to enter the model and transmitter config with a touch on the screen?

More
07 May 2016 17:56 #47983 by d3relict
Replied by d3relict on topic Development post 5.0
consistency is important, but i'd use the devo 12's larger screen to display the first and the second row of selections on one page, that should be easier to navigate.

other than that, any improvements on the button handling for the 6/8/12 is welcome, i rarely use the buttons on mine, they feel disconnected from the ui.

More
07 May 2016 20:14 #47988 by PhracturedBlue
I wouldn't change the main page. I think I would remove the left/right buttons on the config pages, but who knows

More
07 May 2016 20:37 #47989 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Development post 5.0
I welcome a way to navigate the 6s more efficiently than the stylus as my fat fingers are no substitute. I have been planning to use the buttons other ways, but since I regularly swap between the 7e and the 6s, I like this new approach.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
08 May 2016 00:06 #47999 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Development post 5.0
I think the point of having a touch screen is to not use the buttons as much...I rarely use the buttons on my 12 and 8s it is much easier to use the stylus and removing any of the touch screen features would defeat the purpose of having a touch screen...

More
08 May 2016 00:26 #48002 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Development post 5.0
One issue you might look at while doing this is that - on the 6S at least - button support is, um, "incomplete". In particular, using the Up/Down buttons to work through a list of things long enough that it has a scroll bar won't scroll, but bounces back to the top. It's a minor annoyance, but still an annoyance. If you need more details, let me know.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
08 May 2016 01:16 #48015 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Development post 5.0
I like your choice of words, MWM. I do like the freedom of the touch screen, yet I find it awkward to navigate menus in the field. The stylus is the only option, and it is easy enough to lose. Any improvement is welcome.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
08 May 2016 03:29 - 08 May 2016 03:31 #48020 by PhracturedBlue
I have rewritten the menu code for the devo7e/10 in preparation to merge it with the devo6/8/12. I've tested it and it seems ok, but it definitely will need thorough testing. Between the button handling changes and the menu rewrite, I have saved 1.11kB for the devo7e without (hopefully) any functionality change. That should give some breathing room for the moment and will delay the need to remove the standard-gui for at least a little while.

And to lay everyone's fears to rest, I do not plan to make the touchscreen harder to use. using the devo10 menu system will require an extra press to get to the mixer page (and maybe the transmitter config page), but should otherwise make navigation easier even with the touch screen.

When I'm done merging the code we'll see how it works.
The impact will be greater on the standard-gui since i plan to get rid of the button menu in place of a text-based one.
The button menu may look more like Walkera's setup, but I think a text menu is easier to understand without guessing what the icons mean.
Last edit: 08 May 2016 03:31 by PhracturedBlue.

More
08 May 2016 05:12 - 08 May 2016 05:27 #48022 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Development post 5.0
What are your plans to test / integrate Indigos DSMx protocol test-build rewrite / RX-TX error checking, telemetry packet filters, etc.

How do you plan to bring (e.g part of test build changes/enhancements) code changes to 5.x.x?
Pull Request which merges only into master?
Pull Request which merges into branch 5.x? Is that even possible? Only manual merging?
Pull Request to both Master and Branch 5.x?
Creating further releases (tags) 5.x.x from branch 5.x instead master?

Indigos created pre-existing Pull Request was from BitBucket default repository so would be back merged into default.
He was working on default...not branch 5.x.

So many changes in 1 year...vlad DSM protocol changes (not sure how they relate to Indigos code)...new thread about DSM protocol compression.
Code changes by developer who can not even test their DSM code themself (OMG)...if ever approved would need for sure an intensive DSM protocol 5.0.x RC testing...

All my DSM support thread questions unanswered :-(

Interesting for me to see if you find any concept.
I already fear Indigos code will be just a throwaway and frozen forever??
How can we make a progress?
Maybe just try to focus on DSM test build code parts (e.g RX error checking, telemetry filter packets) which might actually be accepted to be merged.

Who is alpha/beta testing Indigos DSM test-build (with the proper models)?

For me: Still no proper final quad electronics and crash-proof planes for giving Indigos test build a rough weeks test :(

Thomas
Last edit: 08 May 2016 05:27 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
08 May 2016 05:30 #48023 by PhracturedBlue
Thomas, I know DSM is important to you, but I don't use it, and can't test it. i wasn't happy with Indigo's direction with regards to DSM, and from what I could tell Vlad indicated it wasn't necessary/didn't help. So I don't plan to accept Indigo's changes as they are, especially with him no longer contributing. I am not up to speed on the current issues, and without the requisite hardware, I won't be the one who actually does the fixes. So until someone comes along with the knowledge and perseverence to address the DSM protocol issues, they are likely to remain unresolved.

As far as pull requests go, I will accept minor protocol changes into master and push to 5.0.x as needed. I will accept major protocol changes only into master initially. Depending on the change, they may go into 5.0.x as well as long as they are (or can be made to be) compatible.

5.0.x will otherwise be reserved only for bug fixes, and all of those need to 1st go to master to be verified.

More
08 May 2016 09:47 #48026 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Development post 5.0
Any reason why the DSM protocol switch for telemetry on/off on the 7e does not work since 8/2014?
Indigo reintroduced this within his test builds but it never managed to be in the nightly or master build.
For the lack of code space (4K) on this transmitter or for what reason?
How about switched off by default?

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
08 May 2016 23:44 #48080 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Development post 5.0
Getting slightly off topic I know, but I'm of the belief that DSM is a MAJOR thing in the Deviation world, primarily because (a) there are no module hacks required, and (b) there is an abundance of dirt-cheap recievers available. Or diamond-expensive if that floats your boat.

Though there seems to be a gradual shift towards frsky's stuff, DSM is still by far THE major protocol(s) in RC flying, and as such I think it deserves / requires a serious solution.

While obviously Spektrum won't want to talk to us, I think Orange and especially Lemon may be very willing to work together to ensure things connect correctly. I believe Lemon reps are active on rcgroups last I saw, but that was a while ago that I checked.
Redcon also seem to have suddenly become a serious player / supplier, so they may or may not be willing to assist? Seems there are a few native Chinese here with connections to the RC development industry there, anyone willing to put up their hand?

More
09 May 2016 00:51 - 09 May 2016 00:53 #48087 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Development post 5.0
I'd be willing to donate a proper spektrum sattelite (or possibly an rx if a sattelite isn't enough to work with) to any of the protocol developers if it will be of any use? iirc I have a few sattelites and ar6100e, ar6210 and ar7000 recivers, all proper spektrum stuff, though they are all only dsm/dsm2. i do have dsmx stuff as well but it's mostly all lemon brand receivers and sattelites, I have a few orange sattelites of unknown heritage as well, some may be dsmx but i'd need to test them. if any of the above items are useful to help on the dsm* protocol hacking just let me know and I'll get it in the mail
Last edit: 09 May 2016 00:53 by HappyHarry.

More
09 May 2016 07:27 #48095 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Development post 5.0
I like this maybe because I use the 10 and 7E for such a long time, I recently bought a 6S and I realy miss the way I navigate in the menus with the former two.

I am considering using the Devo10 menu system for the Devo6/8/12

More
09 May 2016 10:25 #48100 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Development post 5.0
Since this probably fits better here than in the FrskyX thread:
Can you provide a means to get the current TXID, PB?
Write it to the tx.ini or something.
I'm wanting to swap the CPU on my main 7e, but it'd save me a ton of trouble if I could keep the bindings to all my receivers. Also would be nice for people who have to replace a broken transmitter.

More
09 May 2016 11:06 #48103 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Development post 5.0
]Edit your hardware ini.

This is mine. Change the number after txid=

;Only useful for transmitters with an after-market vibration motor
;enable-haptic=1
;
;switch_types: 3x2, 3x1, 2x2
;extra-switches=
;
txid = 86668963
[modules]
; there is no need to enable the cyrf6936 module unless
; it is wired to an alternate port. It is Enabled automatically otherwise
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
; has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
enable-a7105 = A13
has_pa-a7105 = 1
; enable-cc2500 = A14
; has_pa-cc2500 = 1
enable-nrf24l01 = A14
has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
; enable-multimod = A13

Give each tx the same number.

More
09 May 2016 11:10 #48105 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Development post 5.0
This will only work when you rebind the rx's afterward. It replaces the "standard tx id". This kan not be found as far as i know.

Tom

More
09 May 2016 12:43 #48109 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Development post 5.0
I'm aware of that option, and is why I was hoping for a way to read the TXID. There's code to calculate the ID and it's used in binding, so there's no reason not to be able to export it to a textfile.. it just hasn't been done. I'm no coder myself, so my lame attempt at getting it to do that failed so far.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds