Updating and internationalizing documentation

More
04 Apr 2017 20:47 - 04 Apr 2017 20:54 #61187 by Moeder
Oh yeah, it did in my test repo :whistle:
That's why I decided we just use the (not so) new cron feature from Travis. You can choose to trigger a build from any branch daily, weekly or monthly; the setup script will then check for $TRAVIS_EVENT_TYPE and only then push new translations to Github. We could also choose to only do the other builds when they are Github triggered, so the cron job is just used for updating the translations, which will in turn trigger a release build of the manual which will include the new translations.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 20:54 by Moeder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2017 20:55 #61188 by FDR
Will it be able to detect if there were changes, or will it always rebuild daily?

More
04 Apr 2017 21:02 #61189 by Moeder
The problem is that any tx pull will make new timestamps, so we cannot really check if anything has changed. If you refrain from having a daily commit to github from Travis we could set it to weekly.

Something else: we could limit individual manual builds to only being done if a certain percentage of translations is available in transifex (via tx pull --minimum-perc=MINIMUM_PERC), but I didn't want to make the build process to complex in the beginning.

More
04 Apr 2017 21:09 #61190 by Moeder
Everyone, please be invited to start translating your favorite language at
www.transifex.com/deviationtx/deviation-manual/
Registering is free and fast and the whole site very well documented.

Morlacus wrote: But I am interested in translating documentation in french.
So I hope There will be a way to do it

More
05 Apr 2017 20:43 #61206 by Moeder
@FDR Thanks for the quick merge, all seems to be running fine. I just think we should work on the pdf names.

I also have to think of a way to get title page translated.

More
09 Apr 2017 07:13 #61300 by Moeder
I looked at the Hungarian footers again, it seems to only appear in this language only and as such is a problem of the latex Hungarian package (or texliva-lang-european, to be more precise)

More
10 Apr 2017 13:20 #61338 by Morlacus
Replied by Morlacus on topic Updating and internationalizing documentation
I began translating the manual in french and I realize that some words of the firmware language files have not been translated in french. For example 'stick' which is 'manche' in french. It would be interesting to translate that to have enable a better translation in french of the manual because for the moment I am obliged to leave the english words as reference to the tx boxes. So how or where is it possible to improve the firmware language files ?

More
10 Apr 2017 14:53 #61341 by Moeder

More
10 Apr 2017 15:05 #61342 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Updating and internationalizing documentation
Language files need to be updated to firmware current state. They do not contain many new words.

make language

More
17 Apr 2017 20:48 #61531 by FDR
@Moeder
First, congratulations for the completed german translation! ;)

Second, we still have problems with uploading the documentations:
- The devo8 PDSs don't upload for a while because of this after_success condition:
after_success:
    - if [[ "$TRAVIS_EVENT_TYPE" == "push" && "$MAKETARGET" == "latexpdf-release" && "$TARGET" == "devo10" ]]; then      
          make gettext; sphinx-intl -c source/conf.py-intl update -p build/locale; tx push -s;
          export TARGET_VERSION=$(echo $TARGET | egrep -o '[[:digit:]]{1,2}');
          export TARGET_PDF=$(echo "devo${TARGET_VERSION}manual*.pdf");
          echo "Uploading Documentation - $TARGET_PDF";
          utils/upload_documentation.pl -documentation -pdf build/pdf-$TARGET/$TARGET_PDF;
      fi;

- The old PDF versions are not deleted from the Downloads section. I do delete them manually. I will take care of this...

- Despite I haven't done the HTML upload, we will need a different after_success upload section for them.

- Don't you think we should rather have a special target for the cron job to refresh the translations, instead bounding that to the devo10 PDF build?

More
17 Apr 2017 21:10 #61532 by FDR
Thanks, now the devo8 PDFs are uploaded too, and I think I see the reason why the olde versions wasn't deleted...

More
17 Apr 2017 21:21 #61533 by Moeder
Happy Easter everybody!

After fixing the ifs (I just did another update on the PR) im back at 99 %...
I have to admit the model and protocol chapters were reeeeeally long and it was more of duty than joy to finish them ;)

I inserted the devo10 condition because I thought it didn't make too much sense to do many 'make gettext' but it took a while for me to notice this killed the devo8 builds...
I will commit a change for a better .travis.yml

More
17 Apr 2017 21:59 - 17 Apr 2017 22:01 #61534 by Moeder
There are a few tables to fix, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the result we get. When Morlacus eventually finishes french and maybe vlad_vy finds time to transfer his russian translation as well we will have a pretty solid documentation base.

Things to do:
1.) There are a one or two tables which look bad now and that will have to be fixed
2.) Wrapping text around images is quite a hassle in LaTeX, I suggest we remove the floatimg macro and replace it with regular image commands in the rst's.
3.) Use Sphinx's figure-language-filename option to use language dependent images. Would you prefer having multiple folders within images or rather make the files imagename.XX.png where XX is language code?
4.) Rename to a better name before uploading PDFs
Last edit: 17 Apr 2017 22:01 by Moeder.

More
25 Apr 2017 07:48 #61755 by Morlacus
Going on....:)
I have found some words which would need to be translated in french in the lang.fr file :
Trainer Sw ; Num Channels ; Momentary : Toggle ; Extend ; offset ; nbr mixer : Mixer ; Delay ;
How to propose a translation. Is there a max length for the translation ?

Where to ask explanations about the original manual ? Is there a sort of bug report for this ? or a specific topic ?
Example : I dont understand the sentence concerning scale in the complex mixer :

Note that while the scale value is limited to 100%, the mixer may provide a value larger than 100% if an offset is set or if the trim value is non-zero

In fact the scale can be fixed from -125 to +125 so what is the limit ?

More
25 Apr 2017 08:03 #61756 by FDR
You can report them here, but it would be better if they were reported in the issue tracker:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation-manual/issues

BTW that 100% limit is a mistake, probably it wasn't corrected when the scale value vas extended to +-125.

The language files are in the main repository:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation/tree/master/src/fs/language
They should be corrected there, so the new builds could contain the changes.
make language
Will get the needed changes into them...

More
05 May 2017 07:46 #62023 by Morlacus

FDR wrote: The language files are in the main repository:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation/tree/master/src/fs/language
They should be corrected there, so the new builds could contain the changes.

make language
Will get the needed changes into them...

Thanks for the reply. Once logged in Github what is the way to ask for or propose change ?
Help will be welcome.

More
05 May 2017 08:26 #62024 by FDR
There are more options, the two most common is the following:
- you can edit the content online on GitHub and make a pull request from there;
- fork the deviation-manual repository into your own, make the changes offline, commit them into your fork, and make a pull request from there.

If you plan a serious rewrite, the latter is better, but for small changes you can use the first:
Simply open the source file in the browser, for example like this:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation-manual/...urce/ch_mainpage.rst
Click on the edit (pencil) icon on the upper right, edit the content, and when finished, select the "Create a new branch for this commit and start a pull request" option below, then press the "Commit changes" button.
While it is possible commit directly into the master branch, even so that is the default option, please don't do that.
This way others may check and approve your changes, or request changes to those before the commit can happen, and this helps to keep it clean and regulated...

More
05 May 2017 13:25 #62030 by Morlacus
Thanks for your reply
I proposed an update of the lang.fr file in a pull request
Hope did correctly.

More
05 May 2017 14:34 #62033 by FDR
I don't see it.

Actually I gave you a description about modifying the deviation-manual repository, but of course the main (repository) is the same.
However to see all the new language entries in the lang.fr file, you need to "make languages" in the docker development environment. It will update all the language files, but you can revert all but yours...

More
05 May 2017 15:08 #62035 by Morlacus
Sorry but I a am just discovering the process which is new for me
I am there (see attachment)
Can you give me more info on docker environment ?
Thanks
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds