GUI

More
30 Jul 2012 05:48 #751 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Re: GUI
Thanks, that was it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2012 06:26 #752 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: I updated the emulator input/output display to be more intuitive. Note that the labels do not reflect the tx-mode (they are labeled for Mode-1). I don't know how to fix that, since I need to define the strings before I know the Tx mode, and can't change the strings once they are created.

Simply name them left vertical, left horizontal, right vertical, right horizontal...

More
30 Jul 2012 11:58 - 30 Jul 2012 13:11 #753 by FDR
Here are a few observations:
(Most of them are about default values...)

Model name title should contain the index of the model, so if the name is empty (or duplicated) it could be identifyed. Now if it is empty, on the main page nothing indicates where to click to select a model.
We could even give a default name the them, when an empty model is loaded: Model1, Model2, etc...

After selecting an empty model from the main page, it returns to the main page, but both the main page and the whole model config is empty. It has no sense. IMO in this case we should immediately show the model setup page, so we can name the model, load a template, or configure the settings like protocol and channel...
I think the order of the model config values would be more logical in the order of importance: model name (could have a default, like I said above), protocol (if it would have a default, I would assign it to DEVO, but it may stay none), number of channels (1 has no sense as a default value, I would change it to 4), mode (hard to say which would be the better default: I would like mode 2, but YMMV), model type, tx power (should default to max to be on the safe side), fixed id.

The main page config should have defaults too!
I would show the maximum potential, which can be guessed:
At least the trims (I would default it to the original, i.e. 6 trims); the bars could show all the 8, since they will disappear anyway if there will something take it's space; box 1 could set to the default channel of the throttle (it's tricky a little bit, because it supposes, that the protocol is set. one more reason to give the protocol a default instead of none); the box 2 could be timer 1; toggles could stay empty, but I'm open to some nice defaults ;) ; but the bar values definitely should default to ch1-8.
I miss the telemetry channels from the box source list! ;)

You can say, that these defaults might be loaded from the templates, but I think they should be set without templates as well...

One more thing about the model config page: the file box should contain a reset/clear/delete option too...

The 4ch+DR template is weird (at least with the DEVO protocol selected): it doesn't add DR to the elev channel, but adds to the throttle channel, where while no switch is selected, on the mixer list it shows RUDD DR as the second switch. (That page often show false results: for example it usually doesn't show none as the source, but sometimes it does...)
The 6ch airplane and helicopter templates don't seem to do anything...
Last edit: 30 Jul 2012 13:11 by FDR. Reason: typo

More
30 Jul 2012 12:20 #754 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: It should autosave the model and tx file when you quit normally (using '\')

How to do it on Windows?

More
30 Jul 2012 13:18 - 30 Jul 2012 13:18 #755 by FDR
How about the long ent/esc to handle ok/cancel?
Last edit: 30 Jul 2012 13:18 by FDR.

More
30 Jul 2012 13:22 #756 by FDR
I don't really like that the clickable textselects shows the button even when it doesn't do anything on a click. For example a source select, which inverts the source if one is selected, but if none selected, then you click it to no avail...

More
30 Jul 2012 13:25 - 30 Jul 2012 13:25 #757 by FDR
Do you want more? :lol:

I would like a "prev page" button too on the header...
Their icon could be more obvious, something like:
  |<  >|
Last edit: 30 Jul 2012 13:25 by FDR.

More
30 Jul 2012 15:19 #758 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Re: GUI
On the defaults thing...
There are no defaults. You cannot load one of the 'NONE' models on the Devo. That is because my filesystem implementation doesn't let you create a new file.
Anyhow. I improved the build system so this shouldn't be an issue any more.

More
30 Jul 2012 15:20 #759 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: It should autosave the model and tx file when you quit normally (using '\')

How to do it on Windows?

Use backslash: '\'

More
30 Jul 2012 15:23 #760 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: Do you want more? :lol:

I would like a "prev page" button too on the header...

|<  >|

I purposefully didn't add one. I don't think there are enough pages to warrant it, and adding extraneous buttons makes navigating with the mechanical-buttons more onerous.
I could be persuaded I guess.

More
30 Jul 2012 15:24 #761 by FDR
A new compile error:
+ Copying template files
/bin/sh: filesystem/models/model1.ini: No such file or directory
make: *** [filesystem/models/model30.ini] Error 1

More
30 Jul 2012 15:24 #762 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: I don't really like that the clickable textselects shows the button even when it doesn't do anything on a click. For example a source select, which inverts the source if one is selected, but if none selected, then you click it to no avail...

I can't really do anything about that without completely rewriting the widget. The GUI code has no way to know if a press will have any effect, so can't choose to draw the widget differently when it won't

More
30 Jul 2012 15:30 #763 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote:

FDR wrote: I don't really like that the clickable textselects shows the button even when it doesn't do anything on a click. For example a source select, which inverts the source if one is selected, but if none selected, then you click it to no avail...

I can't really do anything about that without completely rewriting the widget. The GUI code has no way to know if a press will have any effect, so can't choose to draw the widget differently when it won't

Well, it could know, if you let it know somehow: for example there is the callback, that returns the text on it. Then you know, when it is none, then it won't be clickable, so there you might "disable" the button, i.e. draw a simple text background instead...
I know, that it doesn't work like that, but it is doable in the future, isnt't it?

More
30 Jul 2012 15:35 #764 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: Well, it could know, if you let it know somehow: for example there is the callback, that returns the text on it. Then you know, when it is none, then it won't be clickable, so there you might "disable" the button, i.e. draw a simple text background instead...
I know, that it doesn't work like that, but it is doable in the future, isnt't it?

As I said...I need to rewrite the text-select widget to be able to do that. Yes it is doable. I'll think about it.

More
30 Jul 2012 15:39 #765 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: A new compile error:

+ Copying template files
/bin/sh: filesystem/models/model1.ini: No such file or directory
make: *** [filesystem/models/model30.ini] Error 1

should be fixed

More
30 Jul 2012 18:00 #766 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: should be fixed

Yep, it's good now...

More
30 Jul 2012 18:17 #767 by PhracturedBlue

PhracturedBlue wrote:

FDR wrote: Well, it could know, if you let it know somehow: for example there is the callback, that returns the text on it. Then you know, when it is none, then it won't be clickable, so there you might "disable" the button, i.e. draw a simple text background instead...

As I said...I need to rewrite the text-select widget to be able to do that. Yes it is doable. I'll think about it.

Well, I jumped to conclusions here. I gave it some more thought, and found an easy fix. So they should all now behave as you wanted. If you see any that don't let me know, since I had to modify each callback and may have missed a couple.

More
30 Jul 2012 18:18 #768 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: Well, I jumped to conclusions here. I gave it some more thought, and found an easy fix. So they should all now behave as you wanted. If you see any that don't let me know, since I had to modify each callback and may have missed a couple.

:) :) :)

More
30 Jul 2012 18:36 #769 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote:

FDR wrote: I would like a "prev page" button too on the header...

|<  >|

I purposefully didn't add one. I don't think there are enough pages to warrant it, and adding extraneous buttons makes navigating with the mechanical-buttons more onerous.

I wouldn't bother handling the paging butons with the keyboard, since the left/right buttons do the same.
Can those buttons be left out of tab sequence?
If you could do the long esc, then I think the exit button could be out of tab order too. (Actually it could react to the simple esc too, but it would be a bit confusing...)
That way the first control would be the one below the header...
However if those buttons have to be in the tab sequence, it would be better if they were the last, so the first selected control would still be the first one below the header, and I could continue from there either up to the header buttons or down to the other controls as I wish...

More
30 Jul 2012 18:41 - 30 Jul 2012 18:42 #770 by PhracturedBlue
You should be able to edit model_template.ini to set whatever defaults you like for the model and main page. These will be used whenever you load an undefined model. I also added a 'reset' option which will load this template as well. There is no 'delete' but hopefully this will be sufficient.

I miss the telemetry channels from the box source list! ;)

You'll get it when I implement telemetry

The 6ch airplane and helicopter templates don't seem to do anything...

Because I haven't filled them in yet :). I want to get the 1st 2 worked out before implementing more
Last edit: 30 Jul 2012 18:42 by PhracturedBlue.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds