Flysky Altimeter telemetry

More
14 Jun 2019 08:11 #74529 by propnut
Flysky Altimeter telemetry was created by propnut
I raised this question some time ago on the general thread. Currently the Flysky protocol supports a Variometer/Altimeter. This sensor is discovered perfectly on the Flysky i10 and works great but I would really like to use it on my Devo 10. The last time I asked if support for this telemetry could be included the answer came back as yes but unfortunately it still does not appear to be there. Is there still any possibility of adding this support ?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2019 15:25 #74534 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Flysky Altimeter telemetry
Please try the test build ( 63c8836) here . Discussion was here .

More
17 Jun 2019 19:39 #74557 by propnut
Replied by propnut on topic Flysky Altimeter telemetry
Hi Hexfet

Ok I tried the build and indeed it does see that the sensor is there now but reports it as being a temperature sensor. Bizarrely enough if I hold the sensor in my hand the reported temperature goes up so Flysky must be sharing circuitry between the altitude and temperature sensors but how I have no idea. Is there any way of getting it to detect it correctly as an altitude variometer.

Thanks

More
18 Jun 2019 00:21 #74561 by hexfet
The sensor only reports temperature and pressure. The altitude is calculated from that, but hadn't added that code.

Test build is updated ( c0b217e ).

Was the displayed temperature anywhere close to the actual temp?

More
18 Jun 2019 09:05 #74564 by propnut
The temperature is pretty much perfect. The new build is now identifying that there is an altitude sensor there on row 6 of the telemetry page but the value stays at 0m.

More
19 Jun 2019 00:25 #74570 by hexfet
Test build is updated ( 34ea590 ). Had to make some adjustments to the altitude calculation.

The altitude is displayed AGL. Long press on UP at the top of the telemetry test page will reset it to 0.

More
20 Jun 2019 19:37 #74578 by propnut
Unfortunately the receiver will no longer bind to the radio. When I press bind I get a flash in the receiver suggesting that a bind has occurred but then the receiver just starts a slow blink. I get voltage telemetry but no activity out of any of the channels.

More
21 Jun 2019 16:31 #74584 by hexfet
Test build is updated ( 4598caf ). My guess is the altitude calculation was taking too long and disrupting the protocol timing. After looking into it I think a linear approximation is fine for RC altitudes. And since only a relative value is displayed the temperature compensation isn't really important.

More
21 Jun 2019 19:33 #74585 by propnut
Unfortunately still no bind and now no telemetry is being shown. When I revert back to build c0b217e bind works again.

More
21 Jun 2019 21:20 #74586 by hexfet
Thanks for noting the last working version. Made it easy to compare and spot the issue. Test build is updated ( 218342d ).

More
22 Jun 2019 13:49 #74589 by propnut
Hey..good news. Bind working perfectly AND I am now getting altitude. Only thing is the multiplier is out. So when it is at 1m it is saying 0.01m and 2m = 0.02m so that figure or factor needs to be multiplied by 100. Also when I turn off the receiver the RSSI and Battery telemetry fields go black but the temperature and alt stay non-inverted.

More
24 Jun 2019 20:45 #74601 by hexfet
That's good news. Test build is updated ( 9603540 ). Scale factor for altitude is adjusted.

The A7105 radio chip does not provide a software means for detecting that a new receive packet has arrived. Deviation reads the receive buffer on every protocol cycle. Likely the temp and alt telemetry stays active because the last telemetry packet contained that data, and it continues to be read after the receiver is turned off.

More
11 Jul 2019 14:56 - 11 Jul 2019 15:42 #74729 by propnut
Apologies for the delay in getting back on this build. Work got in the way of my hobby.

So the accuracy seems to have gone out of both the temperature (by 2 degrees more than actual) and the altitude, which is now recording less than actual and keeps flopping about. Before the scale factor was out it was very accurate i.e. 0.01 was very close to 1m 0.02 was very close to 2m.

The good news is that now when I switch off the receiver all the fields go black whereas previously temp and alt were staying non-inverted.

I really appreciate your work on this and hope my feedback is helpful.

Just in way of some further experimentation, I went back to the previous build and in fact the temp and ALT fields do go inverted (black) they just take a bit longer. Actually I can live with the multiplication factor being out.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2019 15:42 by propnut.

More
12 Jul 2019 16:15 #74733 by hexfet
That's a little strange since the temperature calculation has not changed. I did find a possible issue in the altitude calculation. Keep in mind the altitude is relative. Long press the UP button on the telemetry test screen to reset it to 0.

Test build is updated ( 5284cc1 ).

More
16 Jul 2019 17:57 #74749 by propnut
Man, that's perfect. Thank you so much for the time and effort. I am really grateful.

Just a note, a long press on the UP in the Telemetry screen does not seem to reset to 0 it just exits the telemetry screen.

Now I just need to do the Devo 10 voice mod :-)

More
16 Jul 2019 22:44 #74750 by hexfet
Thanks for testing! Holding UP on the telemetry test screen will cause it to scroll up to the top if not already there. Once row 1 becomes visible, continue pressing UP for another couple seconds to reset the ground level value.

More
19 Jul 2019 20:40 #74773 by propnut
Just to confirm, the hold down up button does not work. I have tried as you describe and if I hold it anymore than a second it just exits back to the main screen. Also I have noticed that a model that was working fine randomly starts displaying the ALT as 64m. It doesn't matter whether I switch RX and TX off and back on again it comes back to this value. However if I either create a new model or reset that model and rebind then it goes back to zero ?

More
21 Jul 2019 00:53 #74777 by hexfet
The ground level setting is recorded in the model file. If the UP button reset doesn't work for you it can be deleted from the model file. Then it will just be set to the first received telemetry value next time the model is used.

But the reset works on my 10. If this procedure doesn't work for you please post a video of your tx.

More
21 Jul 2019 16:19 #74779 by propnut
Duh !!! Sorry, watching your video made me realise where I was going wrong. I was accessing the telemetry screen from the main flight screen using a long up press. From there it does not work. However when I go to the Telemetry from the Transmitter Config sub menu then it works fine.

Thanks again :)

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds