How to configure the failsafe dsm2?

More
11 Apr 2013 10:31 #8843 by teremok
How to configure the failsafe dsm2? was created by teremok
How to configure the failsafe dsm2?

Thank you very much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2013 11:26 - 11 Apr 2013 11:27 #8845 by NewJocker
Replied by NewJocker on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
Hi!
Simply like the all spektrum products:

Power on Rx with a Bind-plug
Hold all the tx command to the fail-safe value, then power on Tx in bind mode (you must have 6 hands to do this !)
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 11:27 by NewJocker.

More
11 Apr 2013 12:09 #8846 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
Here is actually simpler than that.

Each channel has a setting called 'Failsafe' which defaults to off. Click it/press ENT on it to activate and set it to a value.

For example:
THR -100
RUD 20
ELV 15

Power yur RX with a bind plug and bind. Failsafe will be transferred and set. Obviously your RX must have the failsafe feature. I know for certain OrangeRX $6 receivers only have failsafe on throttle channel. Most cheap Spektrums as well, you need to go to AR7xxx to have this feature.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
11 Apr 2013 12:16 #8848 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
Do the DSM2/DSMX protocols indeed use the deviation fail-safe values?
I'm not sure about that...

More
11 Apr 2013 13:03 #8849 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?

sbstnp wrote: Power yur RX with a bind plug and bind. Failsafe will be transferred and set. Obviously your RX must have the failsafe feature. I know for certain OrangeRX $6 receivers only have failsafe on throttle channel. Most cheap Spektrums as well, you need to go to AR7xxx to have this feature.

I do not believe this will work. If not, it is something we should implement, though its usage is a little different as changing the failsafe values does not seem to be supported after the model is bound.

More
11 Apr 2013 13:11 #8850 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
You need power on RX with bind plug and wait LED flashing, then remove bind plug and bind from Tx. Such way you will setup Preset Failsafe. If you don't remove bind plug, you will setup SmartSafe and HoldSafe.

More
11 Apr 2013 13:13 - 11 Apr 2013 13:16 #8851 by sbstnp

PhracturedBlue wrote:

sbstnp wrote: Power yur RX with a bind plug and bind. Failsafe will be transferred and set. Obviously your RX must have the failsafe feature. I know for certain OrangeRX $6 receivers only have failsafe on throttle channel. Most cheap Spektrums as well, you need to go to AR7xxx to have this feature.

I do not believe this will work. If not, it is something we should implement, though its usage is a little different as changing the failsafe values does not seem to be supported after the model is bound.

I just reported what I use and works.

Example:

Binding orangeRX dsm2 with Failsafe set to off then powering off my TX makes the THR to go to zero, meaning 50%. Why 50%? No idea, THR stick is usually at the lowest position when binding. Actually I'm not sure it is 50%, but the motor sounds like it's there.

Binding with Failsafe to -100 then powering off my TX makes the motor to remain off.

So it works for me. Unfortunately I don't have a full featured Spektrum RX to test other channels. I know for sure Failsafe works for all channels on Devo receivers, tested on my RX802.

If you didn't implement this on purpose then it must be a lucky side effect. I know failsafe is transferred over only on the initial bind however.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 13:16 by sbstnp.

More
11 Apr 2013 13:18 #8852 by sbstnp

vlad_vy wrote: You need power on RX with bind plug and wait LED flashing, then remove bind plug and bind from Tx. Such way you will setup Preset Failsafe. If you don't remove bind plug, you will setup SmartSafe and HoldSafe.

I don't have a Spektrum receiver so probably Vlad is right. I only tested with OrangeRX $6/piece.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
11 Apr 2013 13:46 #8853 by vlad_vy
Deviation failsafe don't work for me (Spektrum AR8000 and JR RD921). Rx save stick position (in time of bind), not failsafe value.

More
11 Apr 2013 15:38 - 11 Apr 2013 15:38 #8857 by sbstnp

vlad_vy wrote: Deviation failsafe don't work for me (Spektrum AR8000 and JR RD921). Rx save stick position (in time of bind), not failsafe value.

Not even for THR? This is consistently working for me on R610, R615 and R415 OrangeRx.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 15:38 by sbstnp.

More
11 Apr 2013 15:59 #8858 by vlad_vy
For all channels. Failsafe value has not effect at all.

More
19 Feb 2014 12:11 #20577 by MassiveOverkill
Replied by MassiveOverkill on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
So LemonRX's are becoming really popular now and I just lost a $300 quad to flyaway. Is failsafe working in the latest release build?

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773138&page=29

Protocol gods..........can you all compare failsafe defaults of Spektrum setups to others such as FlySky, Walkera, etc.?

More
19 Feb 2014 14:23 #20581 by PhracturedBlue
Nope. There are 3 issues:
1) on the 7e, there just isn't room for any more DSM code updates. That shouldn't hold everyone else back, but it complicates programming
2) the failsafe is set during binding. In the Walkera protocols, it is set/updated during flight. This means any failsafe changes won't be updated until rebinding, and there is no way to know if it is updated on the model. It dosn't fit the deviation interface particularly well.
3) I don't really understand all the options. There is smartsafe, holdsafe, programmable failsafe, and then you have the clones which work differently still.

More
19 Feb 2014 14:35 #20582 by Mmon77
Replied by Mmon77 on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
I thought with the LemonRX's (6ch at least) you only had throttle failsafe and it was set to the position throttle was at during binding?

I remember testing it with mine and it seemed to work properly. I'll have to try again when I get home. I don't see how a different version of Deviation could effect that simple throttle failsafe.

More
19 Feb 2014 15:20 - 19 Feb 2014 15:21 #20583 by vlad_vy

PhracturedBlue wrote: 3) I don't really understand all the options. There is smartsafe, holdsafe, programmable failsafe, and then you have the clones which work differently still.

It's not required to know for DSM2/X protocol. It's defined by receiver capabilities and the moment when bind plug is removed from receiver in time of binding.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2014 15:21 by vlad_vy.

More
19 Feb 2014 18:43 - 19 Feb 2014 18:44 #20595 by PhracturedBlue
I checked in something to test. I don't have a Tx nearby to verify with right now though.

When you bind DSM2/DSMX, the bind screen will remain up after binding is complete. During this time, the failsafe values will be transmitted if enabled.
Moving the Elevator/Aileron stick at any time after binding is complete will abort the failsafe sending and start transmitting actual channel data.
We should probably sound an alarm after binding is done and entering failsafe transmission. I'll see what I can do.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2014 18:44 by PhracturedBlue.

More
19 Feb 2014 18:48 #20596 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
Probably it would be better to simply send the configured failsafe values during binding...

More
19 Feb 2014 18:54 #20598 by PhracturedBlue
you can't. The DSM2 protocol doesn't send any data until binding is complete.

More
20 Feb 2014 17:15 #20653 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic How to configure the failsafe dsm2?
So is the only way to get failsafe to work is to set it while binding? Reason a ask is i am trying to get it to work on my qrx350 i need it to go to RTH if signal loose...

More
20 Feb 2014 18:47 #20657 by PhracturedBlue
it depends on the module. the clones do failsafe differently than Spektrum.

For DSM2/DSMX only:

On a spektrum receiver:
set failsafe on tx
start binding on tx
turn on rx with bind plug
wait for bind signal
remove bind plug
powerdown rx
move AIL/ELE stick to exit binding

On a clone:
set failsafe on tx
start binding on tx
turn on rx without bind plug
press 'failsafe' button to capture failsafe value
move AIL/ELE stick to exit binding

Neither of those have been tested, but that should be the right procedure as I understand it.

You should then verify failsafe works by turning off the transmitter after binding and seeing that the Rx returns to the failsafe values

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds