Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI

More
12 May 2013 23:41 #9904 by jazzjohn
Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI was created by jazzjohn
My question is about the usefulness and limitations of the standard GUI. In what scenario(s) would someone want to use standard mode? Can a CP heli be set up with dual rates, 3 flight modes, throttle hold and expo using it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2013 01:46 #9905 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI
Standard mode should be sufficient to do virtually anything you can do with the stock Walkera firmware (at least for helis). It can do everything you asked.

More
13 May 2013 03:29 #9907 by jazzjohn
Replied by jazzjohn on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI

PhracturedBlue wrote: Standard mode should be sufficient to do virtually anything you can do with the stock Walkera firmware (at least for helis). It can do everything you asked.

I am trying to build a model from scratch using the standard mode. I loaded in one of the blank models.
My switch assignment is:
Fly mode MIX
Thr hold FMODE
Gyro sense MIX
D/R&Exp -AIL DR
D/R&Exp -ELE DR
D/R&Exp -RUD DR

I want the MIX switch to control the 3 fly modes, FMOD switch for TH and the D/R switch to control the rates.

But then on the D/R& Exp screen, there are only curves for two flight modes. Plus the D/R switch has no effect on cyclic pitch as monitored on the channel monitor, even though I have a 55% setting for both.

I don't see how to get the 2-position DR switch to effect the three flight modes (or any flight modes!)

If I make the last three assignments above the MIX switch, then I get back the three curves on the R/R & Expo screen but the D/R switch still has no effect.

More
13 May 2013 03:54 #9908 by RoJAck
Replied by RoJAck on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI
Hi JazzJohn,

I know I'm not answering your question (I'm sure someone will), but I just want to throw in my recommendation for the Advanced GUI. I'm a long time user of the Spektrum DX7 and the Walkera WK-2801 Pro, so I'm very used to doing things in the way of the standard GUI, and at first very much thought "thank goodness they included the standard GUI" as I had no intention of learning some non-standard, weirdo way of programming my Tx (i.e. the Advanced GUI).

I am a curious techie type though, and so I had to try out the Advanced GUI to see if I was missing anything cool or interesting, and just to see what it was all about. I have to admit, it took me a few days of playing around and I went through a few misunderstandings, but eventually I got it, and now find it easy and powerful. It's a different way of thinking about Tx programming. It's mostly channel based, rather than function based, but once you wrap your mind around that way of thinking, it all falls into place and I feel makes it really easy to create whatever functionality and interaction you want.

I'm really liking the Advanced GUI now and I've converted all my models to it, all my Spektrum, 2801 and Devo are now set up in the Advanced GUI on my Devo 10.

Anyway, just throwing that out there for folks who may be considering taking the couple of days of re-learning. I felt it was well worth the time investment.

More
13 May 2013 04:22 - 13 May 2013 04:22 #9911 by PhracturedBlue
Well, maybe you can't do what you want with the standard mode after all.
In standard mode, flight mode controls the throttle and pitch only
the d/r switches control each of rud, ele, ail. the thold controls only thr.

So you can't have 6 sets of curves for each of your ail, ele, rud channels.
This could be achieved using the advanced mixer.

** Note that I didn't develop the standard mode, nor do I use it, so I may have missed something about the implementation above, but I think I got it right.
Last edit: 13 May 2013 04:22 by PhracturedBlue.

More
13 May 2013 05:38 #9913 by jazzjohn
RoJAck,
Thanks for your thoughts on the topic. Your reply convinces me to take the time to learn advanced. I'm a techie too -an EE- so it shouldn't be hard. I admit I was being an impatient EE, though, since I wanted to get up and running with the least effort to get my birds in the air. Advanced here we go!
PhracturedBlue,
Thanks for clarifying. I thought I was doing something wrong but couldn't figure out what. Now I know -wrong GUI.

This forum is great and the Deviation effort greater. Thanks to all!

More
13 May 2013 05:44 #9914 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI
If you want 3 DR&Exp tied with 3 flight modes, you can use MIX switch for each D/R&Exp.

More
13 May 2013 12:48 #9919 by jazzjohn
Vlad-vy,
I tried that ( see post 9907) but the d/r switch wouldn't work.

More
13 May 2013 13:00 #9920 by PhracturedBlue
what vlad meant was assign the 'mix' switch to the d/r functions on the switch assign page.
That will get you 3 curves, but you can't independently enable the d/r for each one in that case.

More
13 May 2013 14:39 #9923 by jazzjohn
Yes, that's what I tried. Not sure what you mean by " independently enable the d/r for each [curve]" but all I want to do is have the D/R affect all the curves (or the flight mode curve in use.)

If I assign the mix switch to D/R, then that leaves the DR switch assignment out of the picture. I suppose that's where advanced mode comes in.

So the standard mode is good if you don't need to change the switch assignment around, correct?

More
14 May 2013 01:27 #9966 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI
If one really know how to tune a model, he can understand how to use the advance UI easily. So the standard UI is only for new flyers to start up with.

More
12 Jun 2013 19:17 #10867 by notyet
Replied by notyet on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI
This thread seems to be in the ballpark of my question, so I'll try it.

I'm still a standard GUI user and I can't for the life of me find how to set dual rates for aileron and elevator. I can assign the switches but I don't see where you define the dual rates- the dual rate seems to just be related to flight mode rather than switch.

Am I missing it is it unavailable in standard GUI?

More
12 Jun 2013 19:22 - 12 Jun 2013 19:24 #10869 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI
You should set the appropriate switches first on the switch assignment window...

EDIT: Oh, I see what do you mean. I think the switch state captions are wrong on the dual rate page. They are always normal and idle up 1, but I think that should be for example AIL_DR0 and AIL_DR1...
Last edit: 12 Jun 2013 19:24 by FDR.

More
12 Jun 2013 19:28 #10871 by notyet
I can test this but let me make sure I understand. You think its just labeled incorrectly as Normal/Idleup and should be DR0/DR1?

More
12 Jun 2013 19:32 #10872 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Ver 3 Advanced GUI vs. Standard GUI
Yes I do think, because it changed to 2 state from 3 state, when I changed the switch to AIL_DR from the default FMODE.
But it was easy to try too, so I can confirm, that only the labels are wrong.

More
12 Jun 2013 19:41 #10873 by notyet
thanks!

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds