Request for help on the wiki

More
17 Apr 2016 00:05 #46673 by mwm
Request for help on the wiki was created by mwm
Thanks to PB and FDR, we now have a user-editable wiki that's linked in the main menu. This is a big deal, as things in the wiki are a lot easier to find than things in the forums, and they can be maintained by the community should the original author lose interest.

So if you're thinking about posting a tutorial here, please consider adding it to the wiki instead!

There are also a couple of things that would help users if they showed up in the wiki. I don't think we have "official" documentation on how to make the 7E switches and range mods, though we have long threads on them both. Ditto for the 6S extra buttons and switches mods. Any chance someone would be interested in writing those?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2016 08:21 #46684 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Request for help on the wiki
Roger Roger. Will think about the 6s stuff and see if I get around to anything...

More
03 May 2016 16:17 #47677 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Request for help on the wiki
Hi guys,

I was looking at adding information to the wiki and hopefully improve the ease for users to find as well as add information. As it stands, when I was thinking about adding in tutorials, I got a bit lost trying to find the best place to add it to.

As such, I'd like to reorganise the information and flow of the wiki, to hopefully create the relevant namespaces and table of contents so that it is more obvious for where information could be found as well as where it should be added.

I was thinking something similar to the arduino playground, where the first page of the wiki is essentially a large table of contents with description of the top level items. When done, the first page that anyone would get to would be "start" and they could then get to all other areas from there. The links on the LHS for "getting started" would then also link to "start" (or be removed) and FAQ could either be left or removed depending on the amount of importance you want to assign to it.

Anyhow, if you guys are okay with it, I'll take the first pass of organising the new wiki.

Thanks for setting it up! :lol:

More
04 May 2016 01:48 - 04 May 2016 01:50 #47708 by RoGuE_StreaK
How does one go about creating a new page as such? I couldn't find info on this, just on how to link to existing pages. I'm thinking we need a page dedicated to switch mods, like what's there for the modules? ie. the current page lists the stock and modified switches, but I think we need a sub-page(s) for detailing the mods.

On a side note, I don't seem to be able to find the old page/pages that listed the hardware connections?
Last edit: 04 May 2016 01:50 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
04 May 2016 04:24 #47711 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Request for help on the wiki
Here are the hardware connections:
www.deviationtx.com/wiki/hardware

To create a new page you need to create a link to the non existing page first, and when you try to open that from the link the wiki will offer to create it.
I use the [url=http://http://www.deviationtx.com/wiki/playground/playground]playground[/url] page for that. You don't even need to save it, because it works from the preview as well...

BTW there is a page about the transmitter switches, where you can link the mods:
www.deviationtx.com/wiki/transmiterswitches

More
04 May 2016 20:48 #47774 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Request for help on the wiki
I agree the main page needs some work, but I don't have any concrete ideas. Since the wiki keeps history, you could in theory just edit the main page and we could back out the changes if that's what was wanted. Alternatively, create another page to show us what you have in mind, and then we can move to it after seeing it/discussing it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
04 May 2016 20:56 - 04 May 2016 20:58 #47775 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Request for help on the wiki
At a very high level what we have is:
hardware -> includes descriptions of hardware as well as hardware modification
development-> includes turtorials on building Deviation
model_config -> this is a copy of most model files that have been posted to the forum in the past

there is other stuff that is not well organized as well. dokuwiki makes it difficult to maintain structure (mostly because it is so easy to not have any).

If you actually want to move pages around, I don't think users have that ability, so the best option is to just create a sandbox area and create new pages with a layout you think will work. if we agree, we'll move the actual pages to match that layout. If you want to just create an artificial hierarchy by manipulating links, you can modify the main page directly

By the way, you can see all pages that exist via the 'sitemap' page. I don't recommend using it for much, but it can help you identify the current structure
Last edit: 04 May 2016 20:58 by PhracturedBlue.

More
05 May 2016 03:02 #47794 by RoGuE_StreaK
I might be missing something, but is the Hardware page actually linked anywhere in the wiki? I couldn't find it referenced.

FDR, thanks, I'll see if I get around to creating a sub-page from the Switches page, as I think that would be a good place to put the modification details, like what has been done for the RF Module Installation page. Not sure where / if the likes of "additional inputs via ppm" would come in...?

For Hardware, the 6/6S isn't listed; pretty sure from our investigations for the additional switches that it's essentially the same hardware as the 8S?

More
05 May 2016 04:45 #47799 by silpstream

PhracturedBlue wrote: If you actually want to move pages around, I don't think users have that ability, so the best option is to just create a sandbox area and create new pages with a layout you think will work. if we agree, we'll move the actual pages to match that layout. If you want to just create an artificial hierarchy by manipulating links, you can modify the main page directly.

I'll take a look at modifying from the main page first then. Thanks PB!

More
05 May 2016 12:38 #47815 by PhracturedBlue

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: I might be missing something, but is the Hardware page actually linked anywhere in the wiki? I couldn't find it referenced.

It is linked at the bottom of the Development page

More
09 May 2016 17:49 #48125 by silpstream
I've made some updates to the first page of the wiki. Not exactly where I'm fully hoping it will be yet, but I've sort of hit a mental block. I'll come back to it in a few days.

I also added a new namespace "transmitters" on the front page. For now I've only created "Devo 7E" since that's what I have and am familiar with. Hopefully others will take up the task to add information about the transmitters they use, and use the "Devo 7E" page as a sort of template. The rest of the transmitters are linked to their "hardware" page for now, until an actual transmitter page is made for them. This is really where someone can go to find nearly everything about a particular transmitter with easy links to supporting information.

The model config section will be a nightmare to clean up. Possibly some thought needs to be given to a template for these so that future model file contributions can follow that. We'll need to at least get things ordered by brand, make and config version initially. I'll try to do some of that as I get more time.

More
09 May 2016 18:31 #48130 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Request for help on the wiki
It's pretty nice, especially the 7E page!

More
09 May 2016 19:21 #48132 by PhracturedBlue
Agreed. Excellent job

More
10 May 2016 01:27 #48143 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Request for help on the wiki

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: ...

For Hardware, the 6/6S isn't listed; pretty sure from our investigations for the additional switches that it's essentially the same hardware as the 8S?

I've updated the Hardware Connections page for the Devo 6s based on the Devo 8 page, although the switch connections are slightly different. I am still poking around in the WIKI and if you're already working on the 6 page, perhaps we can join forces. I can send you the page... I'm not really sure how to post yet!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
10 May 2016 01:46 - 10 May 2016 02:02 #48144 by RoGuE_StreaK
Just started working on a "6" intro page based on slipstream's excellent 7E template; I've gotten it mostly together but have to go home to help with a sick baby so may get it up tomorrow, again if I can figure out how to do that! ;) I'd temporarily set up to link to the 8 Hardware page, so that's great that you've got a 6 Hardware page in the works!

[EDIT] Just whacked it up, but haven't linked to the new hardware. Feel free to mod away!
Last edit: 10 May 2016 02:02 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
10 May 2016 03:56 #48145 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Request for help on the wiki
I like the new wiki first page, it's very easy to find hardware information.
Thanks. :cheer:

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds