Finding model.ini files??

More
27 Jun 2016 13:20 #51117 by StevePropHead
Finding model.ini files?? was created by StevePropHead
I have been really amazed at the level of intelligence, the generosity, the time devoted, the sense of community and support I've found with you all over the past 6 months since I discovered DeviationTx. Thank you all.

Please forgive me--I don't mean to sound ungrateful--in fact, to the contrary, I am extremely grateful for all the work that has been (and currently is being) put into this awesome project.

But I don't understand where to find all these supposedly-supported model files people keep talking about.

Just for one example (though I could list many others), I'm looking for a model.ini file for the GW Xieda 9958 helicopter. I search the "Model configs, templates, skins" section of the Forum, and there is no mention of 9958. Then I search the model wiki ( www.deviationtx.com/wiki/model_config ) and there is no mention of 9958 anywhere.

Yet the supported models list says that 9958 has been supported since 2014. Why is it so hard to find models and tutorials and other information? But to be specific, to limit the scope of my current question, why is it so difficult to find model files? What am I missing??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2016 13:51 #51118 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Finding model.ini files??
Sounds like you are suffering from a misunderstanding about what "supported" means for deviation. While vendors of transmitters that only have one protocol provide model files or instructions for models they support, the model file isn't the hard step for deviation. Since deviation supports many protocols, and it's possible to add them, analyzing the protocol and getting it added to deviation is the hard step. So all we mean when we say a model is supported by deviation is that someone has reported that it binds. They may or may not have uploaded a model file for it.

Of course, it may be that you're just noticing that the forum search sucks. If you use Google and search for the model name and then the URL www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-configs/ it works better than the forum search.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Jun 2016 16:25 #51122 by StevePropHead
Replied by StevePropHead on topic Finding model.ini files??
Thanks much. I had a sense that it might somewhat like you described (definition of "supported", etc) so thanks for that clarification.

Is there any kind of tutorial, instruction, guidelines of any kind on how to create a model.ini file for some random bird for which the protocol is known to be supported but for which I can't find an existing model.ini file?

More
28 Jun 2016 09:24 #51137 by mwm

More
29 Jun 2016 04:50 #51161 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Finding model.ini files??

StevePropHead wrote: GW Xieda 9958 helicopter

Looks like it should just be a stock-standard 4channel fixed pitch config? Grab any old 4ch FP model you can find (maybe V911, Solo Pro etc?), change the Protocol to suit, and give it a whirl (holding it down and being ready to yank the power, just in case things don't quite match up)

More
29 Jun 2016 12:38 #51168 by mwm
Don't hold it down, take off the props. But still be ready to kill power!

More
30 Jun 2016 15:01 #51215 by StevePropHead

mwm wrote: I like rc.mired.org/p/writing-deviationtx-model.html , but wrote it.

Thanks Mike! Looks like a ton of good content there. As long as it's not written beyond the level that a newbie can get from nowhere to somewhere, that should help a ton. I'm definitely reading through every word of it to try to familiarize myself to a deeper level on how the various model configurations and other settings work and can be used to our advantage.

More
30 Jun 2016 15:12 #51216 by StevePropHead

StevePropHead wrote: Thanks much. I had a sense that it might somewhat like you described (definition of "supported", etc) so thanks for that clarification.

Is there any kind of tutorial, instruction, guidelines of any kind on how to create a model.ini file for some random bird for which the protocol is known to be supported but for which I can't find an existing model.ini file?

Can anyone else point me towards tutorials that describe how to create model.ini files for birds we can't find existing/known-good files for?

I'll give another example. Esky is listed as a supported protocol, but there is very little interest in the community for Esky stuff as they seem to be mostly history in the RC world, and weren't that impressive when they did have their heyday, so I can't find any model.ini files for my Esky Honeybee CP3. And despite Esky company apparently being has-beens, I still have this Honeybee that never flew very well with the stock TX and for which I'd LOVE to fly with my programmable Devo. Step 1, the protocol appears to be supported. Step 2, I have the 3-in-1 added to my Devo10 so I should have all supported protocols available to me. Step 3, I can't find a model.ini file for it, so I figure I'll just have to create one. Where do I start? How is it done when you have nothing as a starting point?

• rjmcewen63
  • I know how to fly, I'm learning not to crash...
More
06 Aug 2016 03:17 - 06 Aug 2016 03:52 #52485 by rjmcewen63
Replied by rjmcewen63 on topic Finding model.ini files??
Hi StevePropHead,
I'm a newbie here too. I've got a Master CP, a V911, a V912, and a JJRC H20. I have used a number of config files i've found here at Deviation and found some good info explaining model.ini files. I'll include some reading I've found and several .ini files for you to check out. Take note of the cool sticky throttle hold feature I,ve included in my model files. I hope this helps. BTW, I'm using a Devo 7e, so you may want to change switch assignments.

_
/_/ _ _
/ \/_/_\_\

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2016 03:52 by rjmcewen63. Reason: Additional info

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds