New FrSkyX protocol

More
28 Jun 2016 00:20 #51131 by dude
Replied by dude on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Thanks for the reply Hexfet. I've since replaced the CC2500 with another CC2500 module, and the Devo 10 is now functioning normally.

With the broken CC2500, the dropouts were occurring on the tabletop even with reduced Tx output power. The dropouts were pretty random and would happen once every few minutes. Changing the Fine freq didn't make a difference either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2016 16:31 #51145 by Evans
Replied by Evans on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Hi hexfet I'm also having drop outs for no apparent reason so have done some testing on the bench to see if I could replicate it and I've managed to and have the datalog with the failsafe set to hold also the datalog with the failsafe set to no pulse both with dropouts,I also have the datalog with the failsafe set to rx but it did not dropout set to this so don't know if it solves the problem or coincidence.
My set up is devo 6s
Frsky xsr receiver on a quad running betaflight
I didn't know weather the datalogs would be of use to you but I will post them tonight then you can take a look if you want to
Thanks for all your and everyone's hard work it's amazing what you have and continue to acheive

More
28 Jun 2016 16:43 #51147 by Evans
hi i dont know if this will work ive put them in a zip file.they will need the .nopulse/.rx etc removing
Attachments:

More
30 Jun 2016 04:01 #51209 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Thanks! I see there's data in the files but the datalog2csv script doesn't see it. Haven't had time to track down the issue.

It is significant that you did not see dropouts with the failsafe protocol option set to RX. With this setting no failsafe packets are sent at all, which suggests there may be an issue with the failsafe packet algorithm. Can you confirm that you never see a dropout issue with RX, so we know it wasn't just happenstance on one test?

Would you please check if the dropout behavior (with option at Hold or NoPulses) changes if the number of channels is set to 8 or less?

Have you tried different values for the Fine protocol option? It's probably unrelated but it's a possibility.

More
30 Jun 2016 07:00 #51212 by Evans
I will do some more tests over the weekend then hexfet and let you know
Thanks

More
05 Jul 2016 15:56 #51318 by Evans
hi hexfet
managed to get some flight time today and the drop outs continued to happen with failsafe set to rx this time and also happened with channels set to 8 and under with failsafe set to hold,i also flew with fine freq set to 10 and -10 and the drop outs still occurred.is there anyway of disableing telemetry to see if the problem is with telemetry or the control protocol its self

More
06 Jul 2016 02:05 - 06 Jul 2016 02:07 #51344 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New FrSkyX protocol
No way to disable telemetry at the moment. I could add an option for testing next week. But the protocol does not care if telemetry is received or not.

You might try some larger values for the frequency adjustment. The limits are 127.

I'll be able to look at the datalogs next week. You might try setting an alarm on RSSI telemetry if you haven't already.

Any other readers with an XSR receiver that can share their experience?
Last edit: 06 Jul 2016 02:07 by hexfet.

More
06 Jul 2016 05:53 #51351 by Evans
I have already got rssi active.i will do some more tests with more and less fine freq

More
08 Jul 2016 19:30 - 08 Jul 2016 19:32 #51451 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Not sure if it is the right topic, but this could be nice feature for deviation. Basically ability to assign the received RSSI onto a servo channel.
Cleanflight is able to use RSSI from servo channel and then can be shown for instance on minimosd connected to flight control. It mean only an sbus link from RX to flight control.

Example video is here:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 19:32 by Fernandez.

More
08 Jul 2016 19:59 #51454 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Oh my god! They are sending that data back and forth! :lol:

I could imagine to use the RSSI telemetry data to control the TX power, so it could use as low power as needed...

More
08 Jul 2016 20:00 #51455 by mickkn
Replied by mickkn on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Quite nice feature :)

More
08 Jul 2016 20:26 #51459 by alibenpeng
Replied by alibenpeng on topic New FrSkyX protocol
the guy in the video called it "straight forward" :)

More
08 Jul 2016 20:54 #51461 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Oh sure it's straightforward to setup and taranis the problem is what is happening...
So what's happening is that open TX takes the RSSI signal from telemetry and uses that to create what devo would call a virtual channel and then send it back to the rx as a channek. RSSI that's going in CF is lagging probably several milliseconds behind, if not more and secondly the numbers going into cleanflight are not actually the RSSI of the receiver at all, it is a number which is being created in the transmitter by reading another value so there's nothing to say that it actually has to be right, any number of things could go wrong and that number that showing could potentially not mean anything at all... Really not a good way to do it when the receiver has a dedicated RSSI output that just needs one more wire.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
08 Jul 2016 21:09 #51462 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New FrSkyX protocol
The best way, would be open RX, flashable open firmware on receiver, deviation rx software :) Have a full open source link.
If RSSI is available in the RX, theoretically RX firmware could forward it direct on a dedicated SBus channel.

My 10year old Nomadio radio I use for surface, shows 2 RSSI nr's at the TX.
RSSI, signal strength of received packets the RX.
RSSI, signal strength of received packets at the TX.

More
08 Jul 2016 22:09 #51466 by champstar2828
Replied by champstar2828 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
I have my Devo 10 binded to my Frsky xsr, but I cannot get the stick movements in cleanflight.
Currently on latest nightly build. Must the receiver be flashed for this to work? As mine is still stock.

More
08 Jul 2016 22:39 #51467 by champstar2828
Replied by champstar2828 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Solved. Watched this video. Everything was made clear

More
10 Jul 2016 04:26 #51498 by ceskquad
Replied by ceskquad on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Hello Gurus!

First off, my many thanks for this amazing job you folks are doing. You rock!

Noob here, first built based on many hours of reading, please forgive me if the question has been answered and please point me where it was. Got a SP Racing F3 running CleanFlight 1.13 (tried also with INav 1.1), a FrSky XSR and a Devo 7e with a CC2500. Maiden flight successful using the latest nightly build. Possibly I missed something somewhere, but I do not seem to be getting telemetry, as I can only see RSSI and VBAT1 (which is what comes from the receiver itself). However, I don't get the option to see any of the telemetry coming from the SPRF3 (mostly interested in the LiPo voltage). Is this because I need to convert my Devo 7e to Ultimate (bigger MCU) or because I am missing a setting somewhere? In this post, it is mentioned that I need to see TelemVAmp to at least see the model's battery voltage (which I see in the GUI) but the option is not displayed anywhere in my transmitter.

Thank you all for both your upcoming reply and the wonderful job that is being done here!

More
10 Jul 2016 06:05 #51501 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New FrSkyX protocol
You are getting telemetry, but on the 128k processors like the 7e, the external sensors aren't available. So all you're going to get is RSSI and possibly two voltages. The XSR only has one of the two voltage sensors, so you're seeing all there is. The 256k CPU upgrade should get the rest.

If all you want is that second voltage, an X4R might be a better upgrade alternative.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
10 Jul 2016 16:00 #51521 by SteveA
Replied by SteveA on topic New FrSkyX protocol

ceskquad wrote: Hello Gurus!

First off, my many thanks for this amazing job you folks are doing. You rock!

Thank you all for both your upcoming reply and the wonderful job that is being done here!

Hey ceskquad, besides the telemetry issue how's the XSR working for you with Deviation? I would love to use my Devo F7/CC2500 configured on my new RX122 Atom with an XSR Rx. Are getting the dropouts and such? How about approx range? Thanks

More
11 Jul 2016 02:44 #51536 by ceskquad
Replied by ceskquad on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Thanks mwn!

I will go for the stm32f103ret6. That way I can be ready for the next versions and get all the goodies. At least I know now I did nothing wrong ☺

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds