Preparing for the next Deviation release

More
02 Mar 2015 18:19 - 02 Mar 2015 18:19 #29270 by PhracturedBlue
Preparing for the next Deviation release was created by PhracturedBlue
It's been about a year since I've done a significant amount of coding on Deviation, and I've been out of the loop entirely for the past several months. So I'd like to get a feel for where the nightly builds stand. Those of you who have been actively working on the code: what do you think should be done before we release, or are things in good enough shape as they are?
Last edit: 02 Mar 2015 18:19 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2015 08:02 - 03 Mar 2015 09:08 #29283 by Indigo
Replied by Indigo on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
I've been thinking the same recently. Now would be a good time for a release.

What we currently have is mostly bug fixes and the changes have been well tested.

Earlier today I submitted a pull request for dsm telemetry update which I have been working on for over a month. This update started from Thomas.Heiss work here . It has been tested by forum members, one has been giving regular feedback, their most recent is here .

Added to last release are these fixes:
  • Added unit conversion for display of altitude values.
  • Screen redraw should not show 'not connected' value.
  • Discard telemetry packet with errors.

I have one suggestion:
The Datalog screen on Devo8 could be changed to 3 columns and more for Devo12
Last edit: 03 Mar 2015 09:08 by Indigo.

More
03 Mar 2015 13:42 #29286 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
Agree that now's a good time. I'd like to update the manual entries for the yd717 and symax protocols. What's the best way to do that?

More
03 Mar 2015 15:06 #29288 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
either install OpenOffice/LibreOffice or use a portable version. Grab the fodt file from:
bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation-manual/

make your changes (to both 8 and 10 files), and check it in.

Alternatively, just tell me what you want to do, and I'll make the changes.

More
03 Mar 2015 23:54 #29300 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
I have a patch correcting KN protocol from jimjqp which I would like to take a look and integrate.

Reference (in Russian, sorry) mcheli.blogspot.com/2015/02/wltoys-v977-kn-protocol-mod-v2.html

Deviation thread www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...-v977-on-7e?start=20

More
04 Mar 2015 02:03 #29304 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
I confirm that Indigo's fix ON DSM2/X for RF lock out under Telemetry ON works great.

Nevertheless, seems similar RF lock out on DEVO protocol has not been addressed so far.

cmPang

More
04 Mar 2015 15:21 #29325 by mwm
Two things need ought to be fixed in the last nightly builds. I believe Indigo is working on (if not already fixed) both of them:

Devo 10 telemetry display has overlapping text.
DSM bind dialogue doesn't exit on it's own,

Any chance of doing an release candidate first? Freeze the current code, encourage people to give it a try as is while we work on the documentation, and evaluate things when the user manual is ready?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
04 Mar 2015 16:50 #29326 by mwm
It appears that my new toggle code is in better shape than I had anticipated. However, while it will read old config files, the reverse is not true - once you've saved a config file with the new toggle code in it, they won't get loaded if you go back to an older version.

I think this might require some special handling, and would be fine if these changes didn't make it into the next release.

More
04 Mar 2015 16:56 #29327 by PhracturedBlue
yes my plan is as follows:
1) create a new 'releasecandidate' branch from trunk
2) build a 4.1-RC1 from this branch
3) pull fixes from trunk (cherry-pick if needed) into the branch
4) release once documentation is updated and sufficient testing has occurred

With the group methodology, I'd like to keep the RC process separate from trunk because I don't know how long it'll take between RC and release, and it is good practice with multiple committers. Depending on how it works out, we'll adjust the process. There won't be any permission restrictions, but any fixes need to go both to trunk and to the RC branch.

I'll wait to hear from Indigo before making the rc branch.

As for documentation, there aren't enough users working on it that I think it is worth changing the methods now. Just checkout from the trunk, make your changes and check them back in. If we run into merge conflicts it is possible to diff the files and do merges, though I generally just do it by hand as otherwise formatting gets messed up.

We should put together a full list of changes, as that is needed for release anyway, and also will help drive documentation changes.

More
04 Mar 2015 17:38 - 04 Mar 2015 17:39 #29328 by mwm
One other thing that needs to be fixed. The trunk now has a "Multirotor" model type. For now, the only difference between it and an airplane is the default icon, but multirotors are popular enough I thought having a default icon for it would be good, and if we ever add different aircraft mix types, it wouldn't have those.

However, the color icon sucks. I'm not enough of an artist to do a nice one. We really need one that matches the other two default icons.

Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 17:39 by mwm. Reason: remove word doubling.

More
04 Mar 2015 17:47 #29329 by PhracturedBlue
I got the default icons from here:
www.iconarchive.com/show/transport-for-v...t/airplane-icon.html
(you'll see the heli one there too as well as the b&w ones I think)
I don't see anything that would work for a multi-rotor though.

They key is to make sure any icon is licensed as free for non-commerical use.

More
04 Mar 2015 19:45 #29332 by Indigo

mwm wrote: Two things need ought to be fixed in the last nightly builds. I believe Indigo is working on (if not already fixed) both of them:

Devo 10 telemetry display has overlapping text.
DSM bind dialogue doesn't exit on it's own,

The overlapping text is fixed in my latest telemetry test version. I just need to update my pull request. I have not looked at DSM bind dialogue but my fix would be to change the count down text to (depending on mode) "Move right stick!" or "Move left stick!" when protocol status changes to bound.

Yes to an RC branch.

Would it be possible to automate building test versions? I'm thinking have a TEST branch and any sub-branches of TEST would get built and published automatically with the sub-branch name incorporated into name of published zip file. RC1 would then be a sub-branch of TEST.

RE: documentation
Late last year I submitted a pull request that included many formatting changes. I suggest merging in those formatting changes even if you don't include my update to section: 10.3 Using a Trim as a Virtual Switch.

You can review pdf versions with my changes here: bitbucket.org/Indigo1/deviation-manual/downloads

More
04 Mar 2015 21:35 #29335 by PhracturedBlue
The auto-build infrastructure could easily build multiple branches. Uploading them to the website would take a little work to fully automate (since we probably need to manage category creation/removal).
Today the builds are nightly. that may make test builds less useful as you need to wait upto 24hrs before anyone can test them, and you get no feedback about a build-failure. I could possibly add build on commit support, or even better build-on-demand, but then I get into more complicated infrastructure.

What is your anticipated work-model? Is it just making it easier for developers to publish changes for testing?

for the RC case, my plan was just to run a 2nd auto-build cron off the release_candidate branch, but we could do something more sophisticated if there is value add.

More
05 Mar 2015 04:53 - 05 Mar 2015 04:57 #29342 by PhracturedBlue
I added the ability to auto-build and install test builds to the build daemon.
you will be able to find them here once they exist:
www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/32-test-builds

I haven't decided how I want to track which builds to autobuild.
Using branch-name is one option, but it isn't ideal as branches are immutable in hg so turning the autobuild on/off may not work well.

Having txt file would be easy, but it would bump the trunk version needlessly when adding/removing branches to build

Using hg bookmarks would probably work well, but I'm not very familiar with them, and they don't seem to play well with branches.

For now, I have a textfile on my build-machine with a list of branches to auto-build (currently empty).

I need to address build failures somehow. I'm thinking of auto-creating a bug for each failed build (based on the commit-id) and adding all group members as monitors. There was a commit today that broke the Devo12 build, and I wouldn't even have noticed except that I was working on the build daemon just afterwards. We all make mistakes, so it isn't a big deal, but with multiple users committing to the code now, I don't want to be the gatekeeper to getting builds published.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2015 04:57 by PhracturedBlue.

More
05 Mar 2015 10:42 #29346 by Indigo
After giving more thought to test builds, I think the easiest most flexible option is just build locally and upload yourself. Having a test builds section in downloads looks good. I think forum members would be more likely to download and install my test firmware when its an official test build. I just need some way to upload. Can you provide FTP access to developers?

Would I be right in thinking that the people who test and provide feedback would prefer the test build to be kept close to the nightly build.

Currently 'make release' creates 2 zip files for each model. It the build script could combine the 2 zip files into 1 for me that would save me some time.

More
05 Mar 2015 12:11 #29349 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release

Indigo wrote: Would I be right in thinking that the people who test and provide feedback would prefer the test build to be kept close to the nightly build.

Yes, and it would increase the chance that people that don't read coincidentally your posts somewhere in the forum would recognize it.

More
05 Mar 2015 17:40 #29363 by PhracturedBlue
I like that solution.
Members of the bitbucket group should now have a 'Upload Build' menu item after you select 'Downloads' (look in the left-hand link bar)
you should be able to upload builds from there that will show up in 'Test Builds'
Let me know if you see any issues when using this.

More
06 Mar 2015 14:01 - 06 Mar 2015 14:01 #29400 by PhracturedBlue
what do you mean by '2 zips'? Do you mean the filesystem + the dfu? or do yu mean one for devo10 and one for devo8.

The autobuild runs using:
make INCLUDE_FS=1 zips winzips

I used to use 'make release INCLUDE_FS=1' but with the new build system, I don't really see the point of the release target anymore, and am not sure it is updated.

which creates one zip per platform containing both filesystem and dfu. But usually for testing you shouldn't need a new filesystem which is why this isn't default.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2015 14:01 by PhracturedBlue.

More
06 Mar 2015 15:13 #29405 by Indigo
Thanks PB.

I was including the filesystem but manually combining them which is why I asked. Lately I just been uploading separate dfu zips and fs zips.

When I have telemetry updates working well, I'll upload it to the test folder.

Cheers

More
23 Sep 2015 02:45 #37983 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
Any status for the 4.1 RC1 build? I would like to participate in the testing.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds