Preparing for the next Deviation release

More
23 Sep 2015 02:56 #37984 by mwm
On hold, a PB seems to be busy elsewhere again.

For now, you can test the nightlies, which are in general more reliable than the last release.

The last round of changes broke the build by overflowing a static buffer in the Devo in one of the systems. I've done a build and uploaded it in spite of the error at www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/212-mwm-newnighlyt .

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2015 03:42 #37987 by andmiller
Replied by andmiller on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
Hey guys, great work by the way, been following and using for a while.
Anyhow, do we need to use the new dfu tool to flash the test builds? I am having issues with DSM protocols on Lemon Rx and would like to test the newer builds.
Thanks

More
23 Sep 2015 03:46 #37989 by mwm
You only need to use the new FDU tool for the F12E (or maybe it's the F7 - I forget), which uses a non-standard file system. For everything else, the Walkera DFuse tool works fine.

More
23 Sep 2015 03:49 #37990 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
Seems the emulator of your build is not Windows executable. I need to run it in Linux? It is elf binaries? Any related link to the instructions?

More
23 Sep 2015 03:51 #37991 by richardclli
What problem do you have about Lemon RX? I just got a few Lemon RX DSMX sat and have not tried it yet.

More
23 Sep 2015 04:02 #37993 by mwm
You're right - the emulator is a FreeBSD binary, not a Windows one. I never got cross-compilation to work on BSD :(. If you can use a Linux binary, let me know and I'll upload build and upload one of those. Not sure what that will need, though.

More
23 Sep 2015 04:06 #37994 by richardclli
Yes, Thanks, I can use both Linux and Windows binaries.

More
23 Sep 2015 04:08 #37995 by andmiller
There is a problem with dropped signal and range, on 150mw I only get maybe 30 meters, I have a genuine spectrum transmitter from a nanoqx (toy transmitter) that gets much better range. Have no issues with v911 or devo protocols. I found several instances of others facing this issue with 4.0.1

More
23 Sep 2015 04:10 #37996 by andmiller
Mwm, will the nightlies you linked contain the fix? Or do I need to use some test builds from indigo?

More
23 Sep 2015 22:15 #38008 by mwm
Ok, I've uploaded new emulator builds for the new nightly test builds.

+andmiller, I don't know if those builds will have the DSM fix you're looking for in them or not. While the DSM code is much newer than the code in 4.0.1, there's also been some significant work on DSM that isn't in the current default branch, and that's what I'm building. It's what the automated builds would build if they were still working..

If you can point me to a commit or pull request or other indication of where they came from, I can probably figure it out.

More
23 Sep 2015 23:49 #38011 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
Out of interest, has anyone tried contacting orange or lemon to see if they'd assist with any of the DSM stuff? From what I've seen on rcgroups Lemon appear to be eager to help out / interact, but don't know if they'd be will to share their protocol work. Maybe if we can phrase an approach in such a way that they can see a financial benefit in their RX's being fully supported by deviation... ?

More
24 Sep 2015 01:28 #38014 by andmiller
The nightly you built seems to work much better. Before I only got like 30 meters on 150mw, I just tested in the house through 3-4 walls and 10 meters I can get a signal with 100uw, less than 1/1000th the power! I think there was another DSM fix for the bind dialog, but I'm not too concerned about that. Thanks for the info. BTW, I am using a lemon sat with a naze32 and its working pretty well now.

More
24 Sep 2015 01:45 #38015 by richardclli
Wow, nice to know that, I think I can just use my Lemon RX safely without any worry.

More
24 Sep 2015 01:45 #38016 by mwm
I contacted both OrangeRx and LemonRx. The OrangeRx folks never replied. The LemonRx folks offered to send some sample Rx's to us, which offered I forwarded to PB. He said he would talk to them about it.

FWIW, LemonRx doesn't test with either OrangeRx or deviation, and doesn't recommend using either of them.

More
24 Sep 2015 02:21 #38019 by andmiller
Well, honestly I think there is only one vendor who supports Deviation. Just be sure to test and range test before operating your model, and be aware of your surroundings.

More
24 Sep 2015 02:58 #38021 by richardclli
I think I will do a check anyway.

More
24 Sep 2015 08:43 #38024 by mwm

andmiller wrote: Well, honestly I think there is only one vendor who supports Deviation. Just be sure to test and range test before operating your model, and be aware of your surroundings.

And who would that be?

More
24 Sep 2015 12:03 - 24 Sep 2015 12:07 #38027 by andmiller
Didn't SkyArtec help out with a protocol? I seem to remember that from a while back, I could be mistaken. I was just trying to make the point that even though Deviation is not supported by the vendor, doesn't mean we shouldn't use it, as long as we are careful.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2015 12:07 by andmiller.

More
24 Sep 2015 13:42 #38028 by mwm
Ah, yeah - I believe a couple of the vendors have helped with their protocol development to some degree or another. Either indirectly by releasing documentation on some of their internal protocols, or directly via their support forums, etc.

But you're right - vendor support - or lack thereof - of deviation is pretty much immaterial. You need to be careful even if you're using vendor-supported & tested stuff on both ends. Because after all, most of them don't tell you anything about what kind of testing they did!

More
27 Sep 2015 08:01 #38103 by richardclli
mwn, I have tried to download your emu build and run in Linuxx, but seems it is not the correct one. (still ends with .elf). Could you please give me the link for download the Linux emulator?

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds