Preparing for the next Deviation release

More
03 Nov 2015 14:19 #39500 by MacGyverek
Replied by MacGyverek on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
With nightly build are stable for DEVO8S??

There is a version who someone use for a while without problems??

What about model config file?? Now I am using a 4.0.1 buld. I must change something or make new model config for each models??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2015 14:53 #39503 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release

Antfurn wrote: There is no indication of which way the ranking goes on one of the questions.

The questions on the fourth page doesn't clearly describe the scale, because you are asking the respondent to put the responses in ranked order. So maybe use "From 1 for the rank of the most important feature, 2 for the second most important feature, and so on."

Also, on the question "Rank the non-software things you'd like to see from the deviation community" I left one row out of my rankings, which caused an error box on the question, and also highlighted the radio buttons for the line without an answer. I selected my answer and the red box went away, but the buttons were still highlighted. I had to select every radio button in the line to clear that error.

Other than those this seems like it will gather a lot of useful info and pretty comprehensive.

Perhaps we might have another question to consider, maybe gather the impression of how easy it was to get started with deviation, and how easy it is to continue to use. It seems we get a number of frustrated beginners on the boards, but many of those hang in and do just fine, although few tell us about it. I am wondering how many people will tell us they couldn't do it?

And maybe find out how many respondents use English fluently / or as primary language. Can this survey form be used through Google translator?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
03 Nov 2015 16:08 #39507 by mwm

MacGyverek wrote: With nightly build are stable for DEVO8S??

There is a version who someone use for a while without problems??

What about model config file?? Now I am using a 4.0.1 buld. I must change something or make new model config for each models??

The model config files haven't changed since 4.0.1.

Beyond 4.0.1, the best you get is a nightly that has been the newest for a while. That version will have been loaded and tested with no straightforward bugs reported. There's no process to decide which are stable and which aren't, and keep around the stable ones.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 Nov 2015 16:17 #39508 by mwm

Deal57 wrote: And maybe find out how many respondents use English fluently / or as primary language. Can this survey form be used through Google translator?

Not very well. If you really want to use google translate, I'd copy the URL for each page to google translate, and then answer on the English version. Unfortunately, translating the form is liable to result in different language answers looking like different answers.

I asked which languages people spoke fluently, and gave them checkboxes. Current choices are English, German, French and Spanish (plus Other, of course). Are there others I should add.

I don't know that I can fix the coding issue, as it seems to be a problem in Google forms. However, I've adopted all your other suggestions.

More
03 Nov 2015 17:00 #39512 by Pauls
Replied by Pauls on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
I would like to see "telemetry support" beyond the "changes you'd like to see added", maybe even added as a separate category.
Gerd

More
04 Nov 2015 05:02 #39534 by mwm

Pauls wrote: I would like to see "telemetry support" beyond the "changes you'd like to see added", maybe even added as a separate category.
Gerd

Well, there's "other". But we already have telemetry support, so good have to provide more details.

More
04 Nov 2015 05:19 #39536 by bmw111
Replied by bmw111 on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
Maybe a newb question, but I just bought a 6S. Which firmware should I install? The Deviation for the 8 or the 6S? I keep hearing two different answers, some say use the firmware for the 8, some say for the 6S. I have a 7e I Deviated and did the range mod, I just want to know which firmware to use with the 6S.

Thanks.

More
04 Nov 2015 05:28 #39538 by mwm

bmw111 wrote: Maybe a newb question, but I just bought a 6S. Which firmware should I install? The Deviation for the 8 or the 6S? I keep hearing two different answers, some say use the firmware for the 8, some say for the 6S. I have a 7e I Deviated and did the range mod, I just want to know which firmware to use with the 6S.

Use the 6s firmware (dfu file) with the 8 file system. The 6 uses the exact same file system as the 8, so there isn't a download for the 6 file system. The manual details this.

More
04 Nov 2015 05:33 #39539 by bmw111
Replied by bmw111 on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
I was just reading the user manual sections re: USB/file system and didn't see anything about 6 using 8's file system, or how that affects the installation process. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot? Anyway, thanks.

More
05 Nov 2015 15:03 #39610 by mwm
If you want your results to count, the survey is now live at

docs.google.com/forms/d/10yCwkXLnQUufACc...uQ9q5hU5J9c/viewform

it's anonymous, so I have no issues about making the results will be publicly available. While I hope the development community finds this information useful, there are no guarantees on what they'll do with it.

More
10 Nov 2015 21:50 #39867 by PhilipTS
Replied by PhilipTS on topic Preparing for the next Deviation release
Honestly? ... the survey is now up? ... and I find out about it in the forums?

Let me explain my self. I am a 42 year old dad with 2 sons (2 & 3.5 years old) and a full time job.
I started with RC Helis 2 years ago (RTF Blade Helis). Found out about Deviation and bought a Devo 7E.
LOVED Deviation so went ahead and bought a Devo 10 (big hands). Once a week I will drop by www.deviationtx.com
and maybe the forums.

I don't have time to go through ALL the thread (barely have time to fly my helis) so I just browse though quickly.
I found out about the Universal TX module and said WOW ... I'm IN ...
Today I see the above link with a survey ... I felt obliged to give my feed back.
In the survey I read about a T-shirt !!! I don't wear t-shirts but I would buy 1-2-3 just to support the project ... BUT I DIDN'T KNOW.
There is a question in the survey about donating money ... I had looked for a donate button but read in the FAQ:

Do you accept donations?
The short answer is 'No'. Deviation is a hobby for me.

Sorry for the long post but I am trying to get my message across.
I am sure that there are many users like me that enjoy Deviation and would like to help.
But we either don't have the time or the knowledge to help.
I believe that most of us could help with small donations or buying a T-shirt or two.

But we have to know that things like this are happening T-shirt/donations/surveys.
And the best way would be to update the main page ... once a week ... once a month ... with 2-3 lines of news.
Keep us informed of what's going on ... not with the protocol/hacks/etc details ... but with the "You Use Deviation - You Need to Know This" details.

I really like deviation I am amazed with all the great work that has gone into this project and I would like to congratulate ALL the developers/contributors.

It would be nice if you could keep us "Simple Users" in the loop with simple updates on the main page on the MUST KNOW issues.
It would help us get more involved and maybe help ... and there are many ways one can help ... like taking a simple survey.

Again sorry for the long post ... just had to get it out ... (and yes i am sure that this should have been posted in another thread)

More
11 Nov 2015 03:56 #39908 by mwm
I can't write on the main page, so the only way to announce the survey was in the forums. I did create a new thread for it, so it would show up on the Recent topics page. Threads with new posts always rise to the top of the "Recent Topics" page, so you don't have to go through all the threads - just scan the "Recent Topics" page. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to figure out when you've actually looked at all the topics that are new since you last looked. One of the people who could pinned the T-shirts to the top of the forum for a while, so you should have seen those when they happened. I'm not convinced that a news stream would have helped anyone who missed both the pinned note at the top of the forums and the new thread on the survey.

And yes, looking over the survey it's clear that our biggest problem is "discovery". Not merely news, but everything. The module installation guide, as opposed to umpteen zillion out of date blog posts; the video series on 7E mods. The survey and the t-shirts. And the list goes on.

And unfortunately, many users can donate money, but not many can donate time. A while back, I tried to set up a way for people to donate money, but not enough people could donate time to get it off the ground. And time is the crucial thing - most of the time is coming from developers, and them spending time updating the main page - or fixing the forums or writing a survey or designing t-shirts or creating icons or model files or answering questions or ... - is time taken away from working on the software. There are lots of things that people can do other than code that would lead to more time being spent working on code, but few people seem interested in doing that.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds