Hubsan x4 (H107) Support

More
25 Nov 2012 21:20 - 25 Nov 2012 21:21 #3178 by rototophe
Hubsan x4 (H107) Support was created by rototophe
Starting a new thread from post 3177

PhracturedBlue wrote: If you want to discuss the Hubsan, please make a new thread, and I'll be happy to further discuss. Note that so far I am the only one to successfully fly it, so keep that in mind when I say it is supported.

I am interested to have more information about flying the Hubsan quad with Deviation. Are you satisfied with the current implementation in Deviation? I suppose you being the only one at this point who successfully flown it may relate to the fact that the last firmware version is still confidential at this point? Or did other try and report negative feedback?

Also, there are some potential caveats that apply to the Hubsan and not the V911.

Can you develop?
Last edit: 25 Nov 2012 21:21 by rototophe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2012 21:28 #3180 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Hubsan x4 (H107) Support
You can find some more info in the RCGroups Devo thread. One other user attempted to use the code with a V911 module but was unsuccessful. However, his module is not working properly which is probably the cause. there is nothing confidential about it, but the number of folks who can build the firmware themselves and have an X4 and the V911 module installed is pretty small.

Unlike the V911, the Hubsan uses a handshake between the Tx and Rx during binding. This means the Tx needs to be able to receive signals from the Rx. the V911 module does not have an antenna connected to the LNA (receive pin), so my expectation was that it would not work with the Hubsan. However, when I actually tested it, I was surprised to find it works ok after all. This may be buyer beware. I cannot guarantee that all V911 modules will work. The '500m' and XL7105 ebay/aliexpress modules both have the receive-pin connected to the antenna, so I would likely recommend one of these.

Having said all of that, it is possible to bind to the Hubsan without the handshake (it is just less reliable). If anyone has the V911 module and is unable to bind their Hubsan, I'll implement a 'handshake-less' mode that'll work without needing to receive anything from the Rx.

More
25 Nov 2012 21:30 #3181 by PhracturedBlue
One last note. I currently only have a '500m' module in my Devo8, so it is the only one I've tested with. I did install the V911 module in my RaspberryPi, and was able to bind with it there using the same code that is in Deviation.

More
25 Nov 2012 21:42 #3182 by heliaddict
Replied by heliaddict on topic Hubsan x4 (H107) Support
Is it possible to release a pre-final build to test Hubsan protocol please? I have a V911 module fitted in my Devo 8s and would really like to see if this works with my X4 :)

More
25 Nov 2012 21:53 #3185 by PhracturedBlue
Here you go. You need, at a minimum, to install the 'media' dir from the filesystem along with the dfu.

Also note that on the hubsan, the elevator is reversed, so setup a '4ch w/DR' template, and then reverse the elevator.
Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2012 21:55 - 25 Nov 2012 22:00 #3186 by rototophe
Replied by rototophe on topic Hubsan x4 (H107) Support
Thanks PB for the information.

When I used the word "confidential" I was referring to the low availability of the firmware for the reasons you stated.

So to summarize:

I its likely that using the V911 module it will work just fine, in the event it does not you will release a fix (handshake-less binding). The alternative route is using a '500m'.

On the practical side, how do you switch 6axis/3axis gyro mode on the Hubsan? Just like on the ladybird? Set gyro channel to a toggle flat high and flat low value on the appropriate channel?

Additional, and I live you alone after that :silly: , is there an external indicator on the quad (like leds or whatever) indicating the 6axis/3axis state?
Last edit: 25 Nov 2012 22:00 by rototophe.

More
25 Nov 2012 22:26 #3187 by PhracturedBlue
The Hubsan Tx has a mode where you push down on the cyclic to enter 'expert' mode. I thought this just adjusted the output range, but maybe it also controls the 3/6-axis mode. I'll need to check the protocol further to see if there is something additional needed in Deviation.

More
25 Nov 2012 22:48 #3188 by heliaddict
Thank you so much for that! I can confirm it binds perfectly with V911 module!

It flys very stable but unable to set up to more aggressive settings, I tried with scale set to full 100 on both elevator & aileron but it flys as if the scale was set to about 50 on Hubsan transmitter. Could this be something to do with the accelerometer?

Also not sure how to set this up to use the stunt mode.

More
25 Nov 2012 23:03 #3189 by PhracturedBlue
Well, I only spent about 3hours decodingthe protocol, and at the time, I didn't realize there was an agressive mode. I'll work on it before the final release.

More
25 Nov 2012 23:22 #3190 by heliaddict
It's amazing what you achieved in only 3hrs!

It is quite unusual how this quad flips and is quite different to the Ladybird. When you in expert mode you have to push stick in the opposite direction that you want to flip before it will flip, i.e. push stick back and then quickly push stick forward and it will flip forward.

Maybe the accelerometer is only disabled temporarily when it flips because it stabilizes straight after the flip and levels out.

Another thing which I just tested and works fine in Deviation is resetting the accelerometer. This can be done by holding the throttle down and rudder to the right, then keep moving aileron stick left & right until the LED "eyes" flash.

More
25 Nov 2012 23:32 #3191 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Hubsan x4 (H107) Support
Since it's only stick commands I do think when expert mode is implemented it will flip with the same combo.

More
26 Nov 2012 00:47 - 26 Nov 2012 00:49 #3192 by rototophe
I don't have a unit but by did a little reading and I found some photographs of the manual here: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740202 .

They explain how to set the "travel" for low and high (expert) modes and it is said the quad can only be flipped in expert mode. It is unclear if the gyro sensitivity is toggled from 6 to 3 axis when you press down on the stick to switch modes and is not related to any other setting or if the high "travel" values simply override the 6 axis mode regardless, they say that the quad can only be flipped if the high rate values are set above 90% ....
Last edit: 26 Nov 2012 00:49 by rototophe.

More
26 Nov 2012 01:37 #3195 by heliaddict
I think the quad is still in 6 axis mode even in expert mode, it's only when you push stick back and then forward it makes this quad flip. You can feel the accelerometer pull the quad level as soon as you let go of the sticks.

Another thing I have just found is I can no longer bind to V911 with Flysky protocol since Husban protocol was added. Not sure if there is a bug or I'm doing something wrong. I just tried an older build and I can bind again. Does anyone else have problem binding with Flysky protocol with the new build?

More
26 Nov 2012 01:53 - 26 Nov 2012 01:53 #3196 by PhracturedBlue
2 things:
try setting the 'scale' (in the limit page) to 150, and see if that lets you flip. I checked it, and the only thing expert mode does is to disable dual-rates. I currently have the 100% set at the dual-rate value, and 150% will be full rates. I'll fix that in the next build.

I'll check my V911 and see what is going on. I made some changes to the V911 protocol to enable changing the power output. I may have broken something.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2012 01:53 by PhracturedBlue.

More
26 Nov 2012 01:59 #3197 by PhracturedBlue
I just tested. setting ele and to 150% did indeed allow me to flip (and crash terribly). You do it the same way as with the official tx (back then forward)

More
26 Nov 2012 02:05 #3198 by rototophe

PhracturedBlue wrote: allow me to flip (and crash terribly)

:blink:

Thanks PB, this is good news, hope you didn't break anything on the quad :oops:

More
26 Nov 2012 02:41 #3202 by PhracturedBlue

rototophe wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: allow me to flip (and crash terribly)

:blink:

Thanks PB, this is good news, hope you didn't break anything on the quad :oops:

Nah, no damage. I was only a foot off the floor when I flipped it. I'm not a good enough pilot to recover from that.

Here is a new dfu that has full rates from 0-100 so no need for scaling. It also reverses ele and rud channels so they behave as expected. And it fixes the flysky issue
Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2012 12:40 #3224 by heliaddict
Awesome! This works great thank you! Flysky is also working again :)

More
28 Nov 2012 19:34 - 28 Nov 2012 19:36 #3368 by rototophe

heliaddict wrote: Another thing which I just tested and works fine in Deviation is resetting the accelerometer. This can be done by holding the throttle down and rudder to the right, then keep moving aileron stick left & right until the LED "eyes" flash.

Little question regarding the model itself, not really Deviation related:

Re-calibrating the accelerometer must be done in low rates, high rates, hight rates above 90%? Or just whatever? I checked a video online made by Hubsan and it seems to me the person doing it was pushing on the right stick (beep) before doing the right rudder/back and forth aileron gimmick, so it got me wonder if it should be calibrated with the full available aileron "travel" range, or am I just asking myself too many question? :huh:

Thanks in avance
Last edit: 28 Nov 2012 19:36 by rototophe.

More
28 Nov 2012 23:13 #3382 by heliaddict
I take it you referring to this video?

Not sure why they put it in expert mode before calibrating. I have tried in both modes and it works so not sure if it really makes any difference?

I must say the the accelerometer does work extremely well on this quad and I personally prefer it over the Ladybird. It flips fast and in very tight spaces and also recovers very quick. Its very impressive especially for the low cost.

All they need to do now is release a BNF version for us using deviation!

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds