PB, the telem is just not working

More
27 Nov 2012 12:00 - 27 Nov 2012 12:07 #3286 by suvsuv
PB, the telem is just not working was created by suvsuv
I got a report than when a minicp is bound with devo10, the telem monitor page becomes empty.
When I repeated the test, I found that the telem design is even worse:
1) Set both devo10 TX and minicp to no fixed-id. Then turn off both
2) Turn on the devo10 tx and wait till if finishes auto-binding
3) Turn on the minicp, even thought no binding is in progress, the minicp will still be bound to the tx
4) Check the telem monitor GUI, all widgets,except the title, disappear

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Nov 2012 12:07 by suvsuv.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 12:46 #3287 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic PB, the telem is just not working
Confirmed. Telemetry works though on the main screen.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
27 Nov 2012 12:53 #3288 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic PB, the telem is just not working
The reason that the telem page is empty is due to redrawing too many widgets in the 100ms page_event. After I slow it down to 2seconds period, it becomes normal.
Again, PB that you try to do everything within 100ms is really over-estimate the MCU's power.

I will check in a fix for the telem monitor issue. But I still expect you to figure out why a minicp can be bound without a explicit binding is running

More
27 Nov 2012 13:42 #3291 by suvsuv

suvsuv wrote: The reason that the telem page is empty is due to redrawing too many widgets in the 100ms page_event. After I slow it down to 2seconds period, it becomes normal.
Again, PB that you try to do everything within 100ms is really over-estimate the MCU's power.

I will check in a fix for the telem monitor issue. But I still expect you to figure out why a minicp can be bound without a explicit binding is running

I finally figure out the true reason: the NORMALBOX_FONT and NORMALBOXNEG_FONT are not set hence not supported in devo10. My question is : why do we need to care TELEM_ERROR_TIME?

More
27 Nov 2012 13:46 - 27 Nov 2012 13:47 #3292 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic PB, the telem is just not working
TELEM_ERROR_TIME is necessary to show when we haven't seen telemetry info for a while. It was specifically asked for by users. This should be the same as the font used for the negative timer

The 100msec rate is absolutely sufficient to draw the screen. I've measured the actual time at 5msec.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2012 13:47 by PhracturedBlue.

More
27 Nov 2012 14:01 #3294 by PhracturedBlue
It appears we need to release a new dfu for the DEVO10 to fix this properly, but a work-around should be to add this to the config.ini file:
[font-normalbox]
  font=5x7
  font_color=FFFFFF
  bg_color=0
[font-normalboxneg]
  font=5x7
  font_color=FFFFFF
  bg_color=0
You'll lose the box, and can't distinguish the missing data, but it should at least provide data.

More
27 Nov 2012 14:03 #3295 by suvsuv

PhracturedBlue wrote: It appears we need to release a new dfu for the DEVO10 to fix this properly, but a work-around should be to add this to the config.ini file:

[font-normalbox]
  font=5x7
  font_color=FFFFFF
  bg_color=0
[font-normalboxneg]
  font=5x7
  font_color=FFFFFF
  bg_color=0
You'll lose the box, and can't distinguish the missing data, but it should at least provide data.

this won't work, as it will add a box for strings in the main page.

More
27 Nov 2012 14:10 #3297 by suvsuv

PhracturedBlue wrote: TELEM_ERROR_TIME is necessary to show when we haven't seen telemetry info for a while. It was specifically asked for by users. This should be the same as the font used for the negative timer

In a minicp, the TELEM_ERROR_TIME will be always triggered, why do we need to show negative font to scared minicp's users? Losing telemetry is just nothing important. I am more concerning losing channel data due to telemetry scanning

More
27 Nov 2012 14:24 #3299 by PhracturedBlue
what do you mean it is always triggered? if the model sends back telemetry it will not be triggered. if the model stops sending telemetry it will be triggered. this has been tested on a miniCP and a ladybird by me at least.

you cannot loose channel data waiting for telemetry (if I coded the protocol properly, and noone has reported an issue), but now that we have protocol options, we can create an option to disable telemetry very easily.

More
27 Nov 2012 16:57 #3321 by suvsuv
PB, I already checked in the fix for this display issue in devo10' telem monitor. It has been verified for both normal and the TELEM_ERROR_TIME scenarios. Please check it out.

And I would like to slow down the page event specifically for telem monitor. The items in the page are blinking obviously , and I don't any need to refresh this data for every 100ms.

More
28 Nov 2012 02:08 #3330 by PhracturedBlue
I've checked in your code. I want to look at the current code a little before slowing down the display. I like to see the voltage drop when you pump the throttle. The throttle doesn't flash much when I pump it on the main screen, so I'm not sure why the telemetry would be worse, but I haven't looked at telemtry on the devo10 yet. If there is no better solution, then slowing it down will be ok.

I'm going to wait a couple more days to see what other bugs are reported and then put out a patch release with the timer and telemetry fixes.

More
28 Nov 2012 02:29 #3331 by suvsuv

PhracturedBlue wrote: I've checked in your code. I want to look at the current code a little before slowing down the display. I like to see the voltage drop when you pump the throttle. The throttle doesn't flash much when I pump it on the main screen, so I'm not sure why the telemetry would be worse, but I haven't looked at telemtry on the devo10 yet. If there is no better solution, then slowing it down will be ok.

I'm going to wait a couple more days to see what other bugs are reported and then put out a patch release with the timer and telemetry fixes.

No problem. Please also check out my changes in devo.c just now. I add codes to let the emulator simulate some telem parsing and hence drive the telem monitor event as real as possible. By this way, we won't miss above bug in the future

More
28 Nov 2012 13:24 #3346 by suvsuv
I got a bug report that frequently redrawing of telemonitor's widgets causes display issue in devo10 when keeping pressing R and L for several times. So the telem monitor's event frequency must be slow down,
Now I have it slowed down to about once per second.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds