PB, about porting deviation to devo7

More
19 Dec 2012 04:46 - 19 Dec 2012 04:47 #4112 by suvsuv
PB, about porting deviation to devo7 was created by suvsuv
PB, I knew you are working on porting deviation into devo7. However, I believe replacing its MCU and LCD is not a good idea for most devo7 owners. I am thinking another way, utilizing devo7's trainer port to connect to external bluetooth , then I can write an Android APP as devo7's external GUI to do all the Mixer & TX configuration, whose model files are still stored in devo7's flash memory.

By this way, no more modding and soldering is needed. the Android APP should be universal to any devo TXes(devo6, devo8, devo10, devo12) and even more powerful than current GUI in the devo8. As a result, the devo TX just needs to show main page, monitor page, usb page.

The following snapshot is a bluetooth module I am using to configure my VBar in my Android phone. If you can take some time to implement a SPI driver for devo8/10/7 with the bluetooth mdule in current deviation, I will start to work on Android app.

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Dec 2012 04:47 by suvsuv.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2012 05:23 #4115 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic PB, about porting deviation to devo7
I'm pretty confused about what you want to do exactly, but I'll take some guesses.

The module you show looks like it is UART/USART based, not SPI.
If you want to use the bluetooth module to communicate with an android phone, what you are asking for is, I guess, an api to allow transmitting model data over the UART (in both directions)? Then the Android app could read a model file, modify it, and send back the updates. You'll still need to modify your Tx to get to a Vdd pin (or otherwise have an exterior battery to powr the blutooth module).

Note that the Devo7 has no USB, so you probably need to be able to use bluetooth to copy files over as well as updating them.

I currently use 115k Baud for the UART connection. At that speed, the typical model file could be transmitted in < 1/4 sec. The manual says it can transmit at up to 4.5Mbps over UART, though I've never tried it.

We've discussed this idea in the past. Personally, I'm not 100% convinced it is a good replacement for the Tx interface, but for the Devo7, it would certainly be easier than a total conversion.

It is an interesting idea. I'll need to get a hold of a few of those modules to see what they can do.

Do you have any specs (in english) for these? Is it an HC-05 or HC-06 type board?

More
19 Dec 2012 14:10 - 19 Dec 2012 14:17 #4121 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic PB, about porting deviation to devo7

PhracturedBlue wrote: Do you have any specs (in english) for these? Is it an HC-05 or HC-06 type board?

You are right ,the bluetooth module is UART based.
The spec in English can be found here : cxem.net/arduino/download/HC%20Serial%20...roducts%20201104.pdf .
HC05 and HC06 are almost the same , except that HC06 can not switch between master and slave mode. Both types of modules are available in the same price, about US$4.50 in China.

Devo7E provides +5v output from its USB port , but as you mention above, getting VDD in devo7 is a big problem for users who don't have soldering skill. So I have to give up this proposal.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2012 14:17 by suvsuv.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds