changing 7e module for an 8s module

More
24 Apr 2013 05:32 #9171 by Fishfiend
changing 7e module for an 8s module was created by Fishfiend
Well after successfully getting the shield off the 7e module, I noticed that I'd dislodged a couple of resistors and an IC from the module..they're tiny. I spent an hour with my daughters tweezers(she's not happy) and a magnifying glass repositioning the components into there original positions, luckily I had Mullsons photo to use as a reference. Finally I did a quick pass with the gas torch reflowed and everything was solid,then did the mod replaced the shield. Unfortunately I now about 3 foot range so I'm assuming I've buggered up the module.

My question is how easy is it to replace the 7e module with an 8s one.

The 7e is now not outputting so I'm willing to have a go if someone can give me instructions, otherwise it'll be my sim transmitter..

Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2013 19:25 #9174 by dehalo

More
24 Apr 2013 22:00 #9179 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
Looks like you'll have to do a bit of connection juggling, but the other questions that I don't think I've seen answered elsewhere are
- does the 7E module need to be removed?
- does it require code changes (custom build) or protocol changes to use the 8s module instead?

I have the feeling that the existing module can remain but the 8s needs to be addressed differently, ie. that the Chip Select is unique and won't just slot into place instead of the 7E?

There was a bit of talk about using this module in the 7E but I don't believe anyone ever got around to physically installing one?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
25 Apr 2013 05:01 #9187 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
The Devo modules use a SPI interface. This consists of three signal lines: master-to-slave, slave-to-master, slave-select (master is the main processor of the tx, slave the module). To select different modules you have to use different select lines like when installing one of the other modules.
So when you change the module nothing has to be done with the firmware to use it because they use the same lines (hardware) and understand the same commands (software; it's because they use the same rf chip).
When you want to add the Devo8 module without removing / disabling the old one you would have to use another activation line. In this case you must tell deviation which port to use for this (B12, A13, A14 are signal lines; the following is an excerpt from tx.ini-template):
[modules]
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
; has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
; enable-a7105    = A13
; has_pa-a7105    = 1
; enable-cc2500   = A14
; has_pa-cc2500   = 1
I have not looked at it yet but it is quite sure that PB has implemented the rf controlling methods to use these values (the two cyrf-lines are standard for every Devo-model so I can not exclude that it is hard-wired somewhere in the code but I won't expect this).

More
25 Apr 2013 05:18 #9188 by Fishfiend
Replied by Fishfiend on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
Thanks for the information guys, I shall implement it's installation as soon as I receive the module, and I'll let you know how it goes..

More
28 May 2013 20:24 #10374 by Fishfiend
Replied by Fishfiend on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
Right, It's installed..not very elegantly I'll admit. Do I need to change anything in the tx.ini file to switch it on? Or should it work straight away?

More
28 May 2013 20:52 #10375 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
It should work as is. You'll want to comment out the"
has_pa-cyrf6936 = 0
line in your tx.ini so you can control the power output (or change the value to '1'..either way is the same)

More
26 May 2014 09:05 #23627 by Phred
Replied by Phred on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
I also managed to mess up my devo 7e module trying to remove the shield. I bought a replacement 12S module and have removed the original module out of the tx and connected the 12s module, to the pins listed above. The problem is I can't bind any of my Walkera's now. The tx goes through the binding countdown, so it is finding the module (I believe...),but possibly there is a difference between the 8s pinout and 12s module pinout? Although the module has the same numbering on it as the 8s module, WK20201 RF? The v911 module and the Skyartec module are working fine. I'm on Deviation 4.01 and have reflashed the tx and formatted a few times hoping to get the 12S module working, but to no avail! Anybody have an idea on what I may be overlooking?

More
26 May 2014 12:30 #23629 by Phred
Replied by Phred on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
Disregard the comment above. Rechecked my solder job and found a bad connection.

More
04 Sep 2014 22:44 #25510 by noknead
Replied by noknead on topic changing 7e module for an 8s module
Hello All.

I will need to replace my 7e module with an 8s module because I botched the range-extention-diode-shorting task.

My question is this. Do I necessarily need to remove the 7e module from the printed circuit board to which it is soldered, or can I leave it alone and merely connect the 8s module terminals to their corresponding 7e terminals, or something similar that fits the latter description? Is there anything in addition that must be done so my Tx only responds to the signals from the 8s module?
Thanks in advance.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds