Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

More
22 Aug 2013 21:58 - 22 Aug 2013 21:58 #13169 by Essen1
Hello everybody,

In March I got back into the hobby after a long hiatus and started out with the JPower Sky Surfer and a Flysky TH9X Tx. So far, so good.

I'd like to upgrade to the Devo 8S but am somewhat unsure how its capabilities are in regards to programming and performance in the airplane mode since Walkera is mostly known for its Helis.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the 8S for planes since that's what I'll be flying only.

Thanks a million.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2013 21:58 by Essen1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2013 04:37 #13171 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
I have 2x 9x radios and then a Devo8s and a Devo10. The 8s is everything and more. I mostly fly airplane, then about 6 different styles of quads, 2x micro fbl heli and 2x 450 Walkera heli's. For this the radio can bind to Flysky (the 9x protocol after a hardware mod), WLToys some quads (V929, V949) and WLtoys 100 size flybar micro heli's (V911) and then obviously Walkera protocol is standard on some of my planes, then I use a lot of DSM2 rx from Lemonrx on EPP and similar wings and 3d models. Programming though visually different is similar to 9x and extremely easy and addictive once you get the hang of it for either airplane or heli - there is so much help here you can't go wrong anyway. I am heavily biased and would say don't even think about it you will be happy, though the 9x will also have a place in the hanger too. Do take note! in direct sunlight, ie very sunny bright days, it can be difficult to read the 8s screen at the field, a bit of cloud cover or some trees and its no issue, else in the car. That's a minor issue that doesn't bug me.

Ooh and lastly, tsk should have opened with this part lol! there is a simulator for the pc (x86), you could try before you buy, use for setting up model files etc for example, only relevant if you change the software to deviation obviously - see here deviationtx.com/repository/Deviation-Releases/Nightly-Builds/ and the deviation-emu for the 8s and also in the manual here deviationtx.com/repository/Documentation/

Adelaide

More
23 Aug 2013 17:29 #13185 by Essen1
Replied by Essen1 on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
Stevecox,

Thanks very much for the info! I appreciate it. :)

As it looks of right now, I'll be ordering the Devo8S, including Rx, this weekend!

Thanks again and if you have more tips or info on the Devo 8S and possible plane set-ups, please post :)

One last question...is it still possible to install Gektors improved LCD interface/display with the new Deviation firmware 3.0?

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t...page=54#post22215763

Mike

More
23 Aug 2013 17:51 #13187 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

Essen1 wrote: One last question...is it still possible to install Gektors improved LCD interface/display with the new Deviation firmware 3.0

No deviation can't use the standard Walkera libraries, however you can customize the skin yourself or try a ready to use deviation skin from here:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/custom-skins

...like this one:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/custom-skins/1...igh-contrast-bw-skin

More
23 Aug 2013 17:58 #13188 by Essen1

FDR wrote:

Essen1 wrote: One last question...is it still possible to install Gektors improved LCD interface/display with the new Deviation firmware 3.0

No deviation can't use the standard Walkera libraries, however you can customize the skin yourself or try a ready to use deviation skin from here:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/custom-skins

...like this one:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/custom-skins/1...igh-contrast-bw-skin

FDR,

That's awesome. Thanks a million for posting the links!

I'm ordering the 8S this weekend :woohoo:

More
24 Aug 2013 02:06 - 24 Aug 2013 02:12 #13192 by Essen1
I'm just about to pull the trigger on the 8S but have one more question regarding the new Deviation 3.0.0 release and Walkera's own V1.0A & V1.0B upgrades...

Is it still not possible to go back to the original 8S FW? I see that the release notes on the Deviation 3.0 by PhracturedBlue was posted on April 5th, 2013 and two days after that Walkera released the 1.0 A/B upgrades.

It's a little confusing :(

Or should I download an older version of the Deviation FW? Will that work?

But...let me say this, you guys who all worked on this opensource Deviation project are a magnificent bunch :)

My hat goes off to you and especially PhracturedBlue for the commitment and time and effort.

Thank you!

Mike
Last edit: 24 Aug 2013 02:12 by Essen1.

More
24 Aug 2013 03:52 #13193 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
Walkera released firmware for the new radios, so going back is possible.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
24 Aug 2013 16:09 #13215 by Essen1

sbstnp wrote: Walkera released firmware for the new radios, so going back is possible.

This is excellent. Thanks for the info, sbstnp.

Devo 8S is ordered. I might have more questions once I receive it, though :)

Thanks again all for your help!

More
24 Aug 2013 16:47 #13217 by sbstnp

Essen1 wrote:

sbstnp wrote: Walkera released firmware for the new radios, so going back is possible.

Glad it helped. Anyway, except for warranty reasons, there is no reason to ever go back to stock firmware, Deviation outclasses it in every conceivable way.

Good luck and don't forget to read the manual!

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
24 Aug 2013 16:50 #13218 by Essen1

sbstnp wrote:

Essen1 wrote:

Glad it helped. Anyway, except for warranty reasons, there is no reason to ever go back to stock firmware, Deviation outclasses it in every conceivable way.

That's what I'm gathering :)

But what about this note here:

"WARNING: The 3.0.0 release of Deviation will not work on recent Devo8 transmitters (labeled as 1.0A or 1.0B). It is necessary to use the nightly builds of Deviation for these transmitters"

The one that I ordered comes with the RX801 and from what I've read the new Tx's are outfitted with an RX802. Is that correct?

Well, I certainly hope mine is not labeled 1.0A or 1.0B :unsure:

More
24 Aug 2013 16:54 #13221 by sbstnp

Essen1 wrote:

sbstnp wrote:

Essen1 wrote:

That's what I'm gathering :)

But what about this note here:

"WARNING: The 3.0.0 release of Deviation will not work on recent Devo8 transmitters (labeled as 1.0A or 1.0B). It is necessary to use the nightly builds of Deviation for these transmitters"

The one that I ordered comes with the RX801 and from what I've read the new Tx's are outfitted with an RX802. Is that correct?

Well, I certainly hope mine is not labeled 1.0A or 1.0B :unsure:

No idea, but the nightlies work with 1.0B or 1.0A. PB implemented the changes (new screen controller) soon after the first batch was pushed to market by Walkera. There are people using them successfully around the forums.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
24 Aug 2013 18:07 #13232 by Essen1
sbstnp,

Thanks for your reply.

Are the nightlies just as comprehensive as the 3.0.0 version or are there major differences?

More
24 Aug 2013 19:12 #13234 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
There are several major differences between the nightlies and 3.0. Most noticably the configuration of the main-page. But other than that the 3.0 documentation that exists should be sufficient to get you going, and hopefully the new layout screen isn't too hard to understand.

More
24 Aug 2013 19:55 #13236 by Essen1
Thanks, PB.

I got some reading up to do on all the manuals and documentation. ;)

More
31 Aug 2013 22:31 #13432 by Essen1
Well, my Tx arrived yesterday and lo and behold...it's the 1.0A version. I guess that means a new and improved LCD display.

It also means I can't use the 3.0.0 release which is a bummer. :(

I could give the nightlies a shot but am not a 100% sure about how stable they are. I think PhracturedBlue has mentioned on here that the 4.0.0 release isn't too far away so I'll wait for that instead of taking a chance on the nightlies. :S

More
01 Sep 2013 04:19 #13437 by sbstnp
Nightlies haven't been updated in while and they are very stable. If you only fly micro aicrafts, nightlies are the way to go.

For larger and more expensive stuff, well, it's your call.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
01 Sep 2013 05:40 - 01 Sep 2013 05:41 #13438 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
I would like to second sbstnp, I only ran v3 till the next nightly following was out. I check it nightlies out on a simulator for a while first, check a few model setups, then try various WLToys models, a FBL100, EPP wings, then if nothing funny move on to the 450 heli's and balsa planes. I have never had any funnies. I mostly use DSM2 (lemonrx) and Walkera rx outside of the micro stuff. I feel guilty for not contributing to the best free opensource software there is for a tx in my opinion.
Essen1, this is just my experiences, different folks get different mileage, depends what you fly vs the risk involved. Outside of your tx software, always check your model setup, rx location, their arials and placements in the model, connections, battery etc, not every mishap can be blamed on a tx.
Lastly, this is software in constant development, I choose to run it, I am 100% aware if I write any model off it's my choice that got me running the software in the first place. I have only good things to say about it and the developers, for me personally I have always found it stable.

Adelaide
Last edit: 01 Sep 2013 05:41 by stevecox.

More
01 Sep 2013 07:16 #13441 by Essen1

sbstnp wrote: Nightlies haven't been updated in while and they are very stable. If you only fly micro aicrafts, nightlies are the way to go.

For larger and more expensive stuff, well, it's your call.

Sbstnp,

I fly Park fliers and larger planes, no Helis, but after looking at the Walkera Ladybird, I might start with that one. :P

Since it's my call...I'll wait for the 4.0.0 version to come out. :whistle:

What is the difference in stableness between nightlies and the official 3.0 version, if you don't mind me asking?

More
01 Sep 2013 08:39 #13442 by Kdean
Replied by Kdean on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
I fly a V400, trex 450, 500, two 600 sized (one in a scale fuselage) helis, and a 40" balsa plane on a nightly with no problems. The control stability is not a problem. What happens with nightlies is that when certain features are introduced to the firmware, sometimes little bugs might pop up like display issues. The actual control factor is just as stable as the root 3.0 version.

I have a devo 12s running one of the older nightlies that allowed full use of the screen. Its been a few months now, but im also waiting for the next official release to upgrade the firmware. This is only because of the hastles i have getting the fw's with not internet ready windows pc at home.

More
01 Sep 2013 08:42 - 01 Sep 2013 08:42 #13443 by sbstnp

Essen1 wrote: What is the difference in stableness between nightlies and the official 3.0 version, if you don't mind me asking?

"Normal" nightlies usually include commits (modifications) from the last 24 hours, but current nightly hasn't suffered major modifications for quite a while, so It's very stable in my experience. Still, it's your call :)

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 01 Sep 2013 08:42 by sbstnp.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds