Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

More
20 Sep 2013 10:33 - 20 Sep 2013 10:34 #13917 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
You will have to download the Source code from the BitBucket repository and setup the programming environment to build (compile) the firmware yourself after changing that one line in the source code that RBE mentioned.

From the picture it seems you have a Devo8s, I'll see if I can get it compiled and email you the files to load - I don't think we want it open on the forum without having done some tests or know the reason PB disabled it.

PM me you email address if you want to give it a try.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2013 10:34 by RandMental.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2013 18:20 #13935 by Essen1
Replied by Essen1 on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
RM,

PM sent.

More
20 Sep 2013 21:00 #13942 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
Files emailed.

More
20 Sep 2013 21:36 - 20 Sep 2013 21:37 #13950 by Essen1
Thanks a million, RM!

I'll report back on it.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2013 21:37 by Essen1.

More
21 Sep 2013 03:52 #13952 by Essen1
Well, that didn't go too well with the scanner feature.

The touchscreen stopped working and froze completely after a couple of times of running the scanner. At first I noticed that something was off on the screen...the spin boxes didn't respond well.

I either had to touch slightly above or below to get them to work. Then the screen stopped completely. So maybe that's why PB took the scanner out altogether.

However, when the scanner was turned on, it was a great tool to see if the 2.4GHz range in my area was clogged up or not. I think it might be helpful to have it out in the field, at a park, beach or other outdoor areas.

I flashed back to the latest v3.0.0 nightly.

A big thanks to RM for helping me out :)

More
23 Sep 2013 10:48 #14013 by Kdean
Replied by Kdean on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
hardware: Ver. 2.0
Software: Ver 0.6A
Library: Ver 0.0.4

I got these from the guy selling the 8s. Would this be an older 8s? It looks like an older software, so that would mean older screen and possible problems....

What do you guys think, should i buy it or wait for an updated screen???

More
23 Sep 2013 11:01 #14014 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
There were no problems with the older screen, they probably just run out of it, and couldn't order more...

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
09 Oct 2013 12:45 - 09 Oct 2013 12:46 #14385 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

Essen1 wrote: Well, that didn't go too well with the scanner feature.

The touchscreen stopped working and froze completely after a couple of times of running the scanner. At first I noticed that something was off on the screen...the spin boxes didn't respond well.

I either had to touch slightly above or below to get them to work. Then the screen stopped completely. So maybe that's why PB took the scanner out altogether.

I just tested it with Devo8 (my own build based on the last nightly) - no issues since more than 15 minutes, even when turning on and off, changing pages and so on.
Maybe I should tell you that I have no additional rf module installed. Essen1, do you have? This could be the reason to disable this feature - when another rf chip is enabled, the cyrf chip must be initialized when turning scanner on and the other chip when turning off. I haven't searched for this in the code actually, I first wanted to see the issues.

The same result with my Devo12, same build, also without additional rf modules. Scan results change when I turn one scanner off, so seems to work correctly.

The open question is: why was it disabled?
I took a short look into the code. It was only realized for Devo8 and Devo12 (not even Devo6...). It will be activated only if "MODULAR" is not defined (this is defined only in the makefile for Devo7e). EDIT: protocol switching is also done, so I would not expect issues with add. rf modules.
Again: I have no idea why it was disabled and what issue could result in enabling it again. I will use it the next days and see if anything unusual happens.

Please tell me if you have new perceptions.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2013 12:46 by rbe2012.

More
10 Oct 2013 03:46 #14404 by Essen1

rbe2012 wrote:

Essen1 wrote: Well, that didn't go too well with the scanner feature.

Maybe I should tell you that I have no additional rf module installed. Essen1, do you have? This could be the reason to disable this feature - when another rf chip is enabled, the cyrf chip must be initialized when turning scanner on and the other chip when turning off. I haven't searched for this in the code actually, I first wanted to see the issues.

Please tell me if you have new perceptions.

rbe2012,

I never had an additional module installed in my Devo 8S.

When I ran the scanner, the first two times it worked perfectly...then it stuttered and the screen stopped working shortly after that. Completely. Had to do a reboot and install original FW because it didn't respond to any inputs whatsoever.

The latest nightlies still work great, though. No issues after re-installation.

Maybe PB can look into that matter if and when he returns.

By the way...any word on PB?

• rbe2012
More
10 Oct 2013 06:28 #14408 by rbe2012
No, nothing heard from PB.

I will keep the scanner enabled on my txs and use it from time to time to see if I also get some issues.
I think we should not publish this version until we know why the scanner was removed.

More
10 Oct 2013 07:10 #14409 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
For example try what happens if it was bound to a model...

• rbe2012
More
10 Oct 2013 11:18 #14426 by rbe2012
From the code I would expect the binding will be lost (but the protocol correctly deregistered); will it automatically rebind? Probably only with fixed ID...
But problems here have probably been there all the time - no reason to deactivate it (binding is also lost when turning on USB).

I will test it.

More
25 Jun 2014 12:09 #24241 by mazi
Replied by mazi on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

Hexperience wrote: You don't have to use the pots, it was just an example.

In the current form of deviation, I don't think you can apply a speed to a single mix page, but this is where it would be nice. If you apply the speed setting now, you would have to put it at the channel level and of course that would slow down your aileron inputs. If we could apply speed at the mixer level then when you flip the switch, it would take X number of seconds to ADD the +30 (or whatever amount). So in effect you would have full speed control on the ailerons, but they would both slowly tilt down... that would be neat... As it is, they will suddenly flip down. You could get into using virtual channels to do it, but for now, get it working and then we can play with making it pretty... ;)

Is it possible now to slow down only flaps, when they are used for aileronns as well? How to program virtual channels?

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds