Looking for some suggestions for Rx on Goblin 500

More
02 Sep 2013 15:33 - 02 Sep 2013 15:37 #13495 by Rain4LA
I've been using the Deviation f/w for about a year now with no problems. I know there are people on other boards that highly discourage using an "experimental" f/w on larger helicopters - but I'm basically over that. I definitely still consider myself a novice, but I'm building a Goblin 500. The only thing I haven't decided on is a receiver for it. I'm thinking about using satellite receivers along with the main, but haven't done that before and I"m not sure the configurations that are possible or required. I still haven't flashed my Devo 12s over to Deviation - but probably will. I'm using a Devo 8s for almost all of my helicopters. Any suggestions would be really helpful and appreciated.

By the way, my FBL unit is a Skookum 720 black edition, and has inputs for sat Rx's.

Thanks guys,

Todd
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 15:37 by Rain4LA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2013 15:45 #13496 by Rain4LA
One more thing:

When my SK-720 says DSMX, DSM2, SBus, PPM, DMSS and traditional receiver compatibility.... What would a regular Devo Rx fall under? My other build is an ALZRC 480 with BeastX and I'm using a Devo RX-1202. What would that configuration be considered among the above choices? Is that "traditional receiver"?

Thanks, and I don't mean to sound like an idiot. I just struggle with the technicalities.

More
02 Sep 2013 17:36 #13498 by Rain4LA
Actually, let me narrow this down to a simpler question... Is it possible to use the Spektrum or JR satellite Rx's in combination with a Devo Rx? I just don't quite understand the way that the satellite Rx's communicate with the main Rx/FBL system - since there are direct inputs on my FBL unit. I've never had any problem with the Devo Rx's - but don't know of any way to extend the signal to prevent "brown-outs". This will be my largest helicopter so far - and I don't want it to go down for a stupid reason.

Thanks again.

More
02 Sep 2013 18:02 #13500 by FDR
The DEVO receivers are "traditional receivers" in this context, which means you must connect each needed servo output to the FBL unit.
The other way would be to connect a satellite with one cable, which uses digital communication to talk to the FBL unit.
There are also receivers, which can output the PPM sequence for the SK-270.

DEVO receivers can't use satellite receivers, but they have two distinct RF receiver too for the two long antennes, which you can place just as far away, as you would the satellites...

More
02 Sep 2013 18:11 - 02 Sep 2013 18:12 #13501 by Rain4LA
Hey FDR, I really appreciate the response! So I'm just trying to get my head around a couple of things you said.

#1: Are you saying that I can use JUST satellite receivers with my FBL unit, with NO main receiver?

#2: Do the Devo receivers have the 2 receiver (frequencies?) built in?
So I wouldn't have to worry about anything other than the configuration of the long antennas?

And, off the record (lol) what would you recommend?
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 18:12 by Rain4LA.

More
02 Sep 2013 19:00 #13502 by FDR
#1: Yes. It can use up to two satellites.

#2: Yes. (Both uses the same 3 hopping frequencies.)

I would use two DSMX satellites. That would give a cleaner setup with less cables...

More
02 Sep 2013 19:17 #13503 by Rain4LA
This Skookum 720 is totally new technology to me and I'm not used to thinking this way. I don't want to drag anyone through my learning process, but I'm realizing that I really need to completely change the way I'm used to doing things. Some of these questions may seem like I'm clueless. I am when it comes to this.

I appreciate ANY help.

More
02 Sep 2013 23:04 #13506 by Drexz
With a flybarless unit you already have the unit to control all the servos. That way you really don't need a separate receiver.
You just use satellites so the TX have a way to communicate directly with your FBL unit.

In my Warp 360 I'm currently using two DSMX satellites with the mini-vbar FBL unit. Using the Devo 12S and have not had any problems what so ever with this setup. :)
I tried the OrangeRX DSMX satellites, but they were incompatible with the mini-vbar, so had to change to genuine spektrum sats. So I would check how they work with the Skookum if you want to go that route. :)

More
03 Sep 2013 01:07 #13507 by Rain4LA
Thanks Drexz. I appreciate your help and input. Yeah, so I'm starting to get it. That sounds good to me. I'll just get a couple of DSMX sats and plug them right in. The software on the Skookum setup asks me which Rx sats I'm using. The Spektrum sats seem to be the best choice.

More
04 Sep 2013 02:55 #13541 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Looking for some suggestions for Rx on Goblin 500
Same here. DSMX sat (just one on my 300x) on a FU-BAR. (v-bar clone).
Works great.

One thing to watch out for is that I've seen FBL units, that will allow you to use SATS, but you have to bind them with your Receiver first. I think this is rare and it wasn't the case with my mini vbar clone, but it's something to watch out for if you can't get it to bind.

As far as heli size goes, I've been flying 3 different 500's on Deviation for awhile now. Both on DSMX and Devo (with devo8 rx). Never had a radio glitch. I did have a bad devo12 rx once, worked fine but no range... Don't for get to do a range check.

Cheers and best of luck with the Goblin.. I'm rather jealous.. ;)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
07 Sep 2013 04:17 #13623 by Rain4LA
Thanks Hex. This place is always helpful. And you guys that work on Deviation are RC gods.

More
22 Nov 2013 13:34 - 22 Nov 2013 13:34 #15737 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Looking for some suggestions for Rx on Goblin 500
I am using a similar setup on a 500 class heli I am building. Using a GV8000 (vbar clone) and two OrangeRX DSMX sats. All is connected fine. Did have to bind the sats with a receiver first. Otherwise all is good, now just looking for a compatible modelx.ini file as a starting point.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2013 13:34 by WheresWaldo.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds