Seriously uncalibrated screen

More
29 Oct 2013 02:31 #15105 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Seriously uncalibrated screen
Removing Sticky

Cut strips of kitchen towel about same size as sticky area, then place a layer on. Solvent I use is cellulose thinners but nail polish remover will work. Drip solvent into paper towel and wait. Keep paper from drying out. Could come off in mins or half hour. Whats important is solvent lifts off which will only happen with time. Unsure if its ready ? when you try to remove some if it spreads and sticks its not ready. Get lucky and you can roll it in to a ball with little clean up.

Soldering Removal old screen:

Now this could be easy if you have hot iron. Area all clean just load solder on to ares that have solder. Don't hold back with the heat, heat the ribbon part to. Heat one end trying to lift tape, hope you can get iron between ribbon and pcb and just peel it back slowly and never force it off.

Align screen before soldering:

Now you need to place screen and that fits correctly before soldering in place.
Pre-tin ribbon with solder, enough to just fill and be nicely rounded. Now with screen in place you can push ribbon down to pads. If your happy all is aligned start to heat solder from one end only and keep moving along. You should find it quite easy.
Then inspect all solder pads and not its looks good and re-work as needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2013 22:26 #15137 by jm1974
Replied by jm1974 on topic Seriously uncalibrated screen
That's an amazingly precise description, thank you SadSack! I have one question, when you say "Pre-tin ribbon with solder" I suppose you mean to melt solder onto the yellow circuit paper that will go on the the circuit board. But that would short-circuit all the 40 something connectors. What am I not getting.

I think I will arrange for having a second tx at home so I'll be able to fly even if I f..k up before I try this.

More
29 Oct 2013 23:02 #15138 by SadSack
What i mean by pre-tin is a small amount of solder to each pad. Extra flux is a must! Get lots of flux on pcb when your cleaning/tinning pads and you'll see how glossy solder goes. Clean area with solvent and DON'T TOUCH AGAIN with your greasy fingers :-)
Flux has 2 jobs 1, help solder flow and stick 2, keep solder on pads and off other stuff it can stick to.
Flux both parts before soldering and life should be easier. Shame you didn't live round the corner. Taken me longer to reply than did this.
Out of interest how much was the screen ? Kinda surprised Walkera even selling that part.

More
29 Oct 2013 23:19 #15139 by jm1974
Yeah that's a pity.

I think I'm learning something new about soldering here. What I understand is that I need to add a small amount of solder to all 30 something connection pads. First I clean the area with solvent, then apply flux which will magically help keeping the solder only onto the metal pads and off the other parts. If that's the case then I would have been happy to know about flux when I was repairing mini-cps

I paid 22€ for it. I actually got it from a walkera dealer who ordered it directly from the factory.

Cheers

More
30 Oct 2013 02:03 #15140 by SadSack
Flux is very handy to have.

I'll be fitting screens soon not unlike yours maybe I can get few pictures or video<< don't hold out for latter mind :-)

More
30 Oct 2013 20:39 #15148 by jm1974
I'm afraid I dont have a way of mounting a camcorder (my phone) in order to film anything. I'll try to remember to take some photos though.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds