need help programming elevons

More
23 Sep 2013 01:13 #13998 by cox
need help programming elevons was created by cox
Please help me. I need a step by step guide to program elevons on a devo 10. I have 3 servos 1 on each elevon and 1 on my rudder. I just can't get it right, and to be honest don't have a clue how to do it. I know that Is a lot to ask, but that or a video would be awesome. I have 1 elevon in ail channel 1 in ele channel and rudder in rud. Thanks in advance. I did try a elevon.ini I found here on the forum, but it didn't work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2013 03:40 #14026 by SLMcc
Replied by SLMcc on topic need help programming elevons
Probably not much help but I did read here that the elevon servos have to be on both channels 2 and 6 instead of just 2.

From there I have no idea but maybe that will give you somewhere to start?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
24 Sep 2013 08:17 #14030 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic need help programming elevons
I am no plane gui so I am not sure what you need. An elevon is a flap which goes up and down like an elevator and one up/one down and vice versa like aileron?

If so, make this:
- select two channels where the servos are connected at the receiver (example: ch1 and ch2)
- make a complex mixer for ch1
-- on the first page select ELE as input, scale by 60
-- on the second page select AIL as input, scale by 60 and choose "ADD" as Mux
-- this will let the first servo go up and down with ELE and up and down with AIL
- make a complex mixer for ch2
-- do the same as above exept that you scale AIL by -60 on the second page
-- this will let the second servo move up and down with ELE and down and up with AIL

You will definitely need two channels for the servos because you do the elevon=AIL+ELE mixing in deviation.
Maybe you will have to reverse one or both servos.

More
24 Sep 2013 10:16 #14034 by cox
Replied by cox on topic need help programming elevons
Ok rbe2012, I think I see where you are going. Maybe, lol I'm not too good at following the logic behind the programming interface, I think my base knowledge is to low on the subject.

Only one question. What practical/physical function does scaling by 60 have?

Ok so yes I am using 2 channels fir the elevons, and I'll give your suggestion a try as soon as I get home from work, on the face it your suggestion looks good. Thanks

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
24 Sep 2013 11:30 #14036 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic need help programming elevons
If you don't scale down you will get 100+100=200%; with a 60 scale: 60+60=120%.
So you will have less risk to go to the mechanical limits.
This is a value you can test - maybe higher scaling works for you or you need to scale further down.
I have only one plane which I can't really fly but play around with it. I found 60% is a good value for mine to have both inputs (aileron and elevator stick) the same effect to the flaps.
You can also user higher values and limit the servo in the channel menu. But maybe you loose influence - if you put elevator and aileron scale to 100 and push the stick up, you will get +100% only by elevator. Assuming your mechanical limits are 120% you can add only 20% aileron on the one side (=120%) while you can substract the full 100% on the other side (=0%). With a 60 scale you get 120% on the one side and 0% on the other (same values) and the same influence of ail and ele on both sides.
I hope you can understand what I want to say - it looks slightly confuse to me.

More
24 Sep 2013 11:33 #14037 by cox
Yea thx. I follow. I think this will work. Look forward to trying it out.

More
24 Sep 2013 22:39 #14043 by cox
Well I gave it a try. But no dice. It got both servos working with the elevator, and I reversed a channel to get the direction correct. Ail. Input did not get any results and on the elevator I was getting full travel in the 1st 6% of throw on the stick. I guess ilk keep at it.

If anyone has a working elevon program and wants to share it that would be awesome. I can use it and reverse engineer it so I can understand the logic.

More
25 Sep 2013 03:26 - 25 Sep 2013 03:26 #14046 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic need help programming elevons
Did you try elevon template? You need load it as template for blank/default model.

www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-template...lates-with-dual-rate
Last edit: 25 Sep 2013 03:26 by vlad_vy.

More
25 Sep 2013 04:57 #14048 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic need help programming elevons
See here for a working config.
www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-configs/...n-model-config#14047

As you look from above the model:
- right elevon goes into ELE
- left elevon goes into AIL

If they're not working, reverse one channel AT A TIME. My servos are mirrored on the wing, mounted on the top side with the arm towards the edges. Still, depending on the servos and the receiver you use, you might need to reverse one or both channels.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
25 Sep 2013 11:44 #14053 by cox
Awesome thanks guys. I'll give your suggestions a try tonight. @ vlad_vy can you point me to instructions on loading templates. I usually just copy and paste the text. Will this work?

More
25 Sep 2013 12:35 #14056 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic need help programming elevons
Copy template to Tx 'template' directory, next select 'Template..' instead 'Load...' model and load template. Or you can copy and paste channels config from template to your model ini file.

More
09 Feb 2014 03:31 #20009 by cyberbillp
Replied by cyberbillp on topic need help programming elevons

rbe2012 wrote: I am no plane gui so I am not sure what you need. An elevon is a flap which goes up and down like an elevator and one up/one down and vice versa like aileron?

If so, make this:
- select two channels where the servos are connected at the receiver (example: ch1 and ch2)
- make a complex mixer for ch1
-- on the first page select ELE as input, scale by 60
-- on the second page select AIL as input, scale by 60 and choose "ADD" as Mux
-- this will let the first servo go up and down with ELE and up and down with AIL
- make a complex mixer for ch2
-- do the same as above exept that you scale AIL by -60 on the second page
-- this will let the second servo move up and down with ELE and down and up with AIL

You will definitely need two channels for the servos because you do the elevon=AIL+ELE mixing in deviation.
Maybe you will have to reverse one or both servos.

This is very helpful, thanks.

More
09 Feb 2014 12:41 #20017 by cox
Ok thx. I'll give this thing another go one day now that it's warming up. The last mix I tried worked, except that each trim step was about 20% of the total servo travel. Had to trim manually. Thx again.

More
24 Feb 2014 17:54 - 24 Feb 2014 17:56 #20831 by VTdev
Replied by VTdev on topic need help programming elevons
In case it's of help to see one, here is just the segment of a model.ini for my 7e for elevons on my flying wing DLG -- in very simple form.

This doesn't show any use of switches to change rates, and is a simple one to one curve. It does show a scaling of rates -- 35% for pitch and 40% for roll, since the wing is fairly sensitive. It shows that I had to reverse one servo to make directions correspond. You may require different reversals depending on servo mounting. You may also use different channels than I did -- I'm using DSM2 and Mode 2 with a recent nightly build (DSM2 Mode 2 operates as expected). Trims work as they should.

You can get fancier than this basic elevon set-up, but the basic form is presented here:

[channel2]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
scalar=40
[mixer]
src=!ELE
dest=Ch2
scalar=35
muxtype=add

[channel3]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch3
scalar=35
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch3
scalar=40
muxtype=add
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 17:56 by VTdev.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds