Counter left drift question.

More
18 Nov 2013 21:14 - 19 Nov 2013 01:05 #15689 by Sparks
Counter left drift question. was created by Sparks
Hi im very new to the rc helicopter hobby and I've just purchased a v120do2s with the devo 7e. So far im loving it and flying skills are improving well. However I've installed the deviation firmware to enable a mod I did on the transmitter to increase the range and im finding the new menus quite intimidating. I've managed to find a v120do2s config that seems to work fine. My only problem now is to prevent the helicopter drifting to the left. Its only very slight but because im learning its an issue. On the official firmware I used program mix with a throttle input and an aileron output. Could anyone be so kind to give me some guidance on how to do this with the deviation firmware. If there's a better way to counter the left drift than my old program mix method I would be happy too.

Edit: I've solved my left drift problem by using a similar method to program mix using the aileron mixer with complex mode with a second page to add input from throttle. Im starting to understand this mixer business but its still really difficult! :ohmy:
Last edit: 19 Nov 2013 01:05 by Sparks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
19 Nov 2013 06:12 #15692 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Counter left drift question.
This is the best you can do: figure it out by your own before somebody can answer your question. This will bring you the best effort.

Is your drift depending on the throttle? If not (constant) can't you use the trim buttons?
And (just more important) did you calibrate the sticks? If not, this could easily explain the drift.

More
19 Nov 2013 07:06 #15693 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Counter left drift question.
For the 120DO02s you can (should) use the Subtrim on the transmitter to change the Ali or Pitch servo settings, a few tics up or down or should do it. to counter the drift. I don't believe you need complex mixes with throttle etc on these small heli's.

More
19 Nov 2013 09:03 #15694 by Sparks
Replied by Sparks on topic Counter left drift question.
I did orginally use sub-trim but found that when starting the helicopter up it would vibrate at a certain rpm. It seemed to be caused be the swash being unlevel due to the sub-trim.

Yea I calibrated the sticks. It's always had a slight left drift. I assumed that all helicopters would have a left or right drift depending which way the tail rotor is going.

More
19 Nov 2013 09:57 - 19 Nov 2013 10:16 #15695 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Counter left drift question.
In my case I found that v120do2s calibrate accelerometers at each bind. If v120do2s is not level in time of binding, it will drift to the side of the inclination.

If you have course drift, you need tune tail gyro and tail rotor pitch.

For tail set-up, set your gyro sens to 25% (-50% with Deviation) in the TX to put it into rate mode. You will notice the red LED on the receiver go off. Now try to barely lift hover the heli off the ground (it should be quite easy if you set up your radio and head properly). Note which direction the heli will tend to spin. If it wants to spin counter-clockwise ie. spin left, you need more counter-thrust on the tail. Shorten the tail linkage to achieve this. If it wants to spin clockwise ie. spin right, you have too much counter-thrust on the tail. Lengthen the tail linkage.

You can also slightly move tail servo for it.

Setup value <=50% -> Tail Gyro operates in normal mode (= yaw damping mode)
Setup value >50% -> Tail Gyro operates in AVCS-mode (= heading hold mode)
Last edit: 19 Nov 2013 10:16 by vlad_vy.

More
19 Nov 2013 12:10 #15698 by Sparks
Replied by Sparks on topic Counter left drift question.
That's a good way to set is up. Never thought of that. I did it and was out a little but I still need my aileron mix to counter the drift.

There is another thing I've always had a problem with while on the subject. The helicopter very slowly turns (spins) to the left (anticlockwise). It's only really slight. I would guess about 20 degree a minute.

I've messed about with gyro settings but alwYs does it. It's not a big deal and to be honesti think I'm expecting too much from it. I can be a bit OCD with things like this sometimes!

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds